General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

newer car hazy headlight polish

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2013, 03:32 PM

newer car hazy headlight polish

Polish kit $15 on sale
hrs of work
twice
the 'beauty' lasts maybe a month, then worse than ever.

Finally got tired of the '99 Caravan having dull orange glow for headlilghts, shopped around and found two NEW headlight assemblies delivered for under $80. Some companies will be glad to take $110 each for the same part, so shop around.

Included the four bulbs too, which would be $20-30 just for those if you bought at the local store. Easy swap except for a broken off bolt, bolts hard to access, nuts that fall and disappear, and the peg that enters the fender was a rectangular peg on the original units, but a fatter round peg on the new units- easy fix.

Don't bother with the polish kit unless you are selling right away.

Last edited by Octania; December 1st, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:44 PM
Justin

There is a kit I use at work you wet sand and apply a new coat and they warranty it for life and if it fails they pay half of a new head light cost I will check tomorrow and see what the brand is.

Been selling it for 4 years no come backs unless it wasn't done properly
Old December 1st, 2013, 04:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I bought a Mother's kit over a year ago on sale. Seems to last about a year, thne needs to be done again.

MUCH easier to do that every year than to change the headlights.

- Eric
Old December 1st, 2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I bought a Mother's kit over a year ago on sale. Seems to last about a year, thne needs to be done again.

MUCH easier to do that every year than to change the headlights.

- Eric
Well, I have $50 or so into two polish kits, and at least two main 9007 lamps. Took probably an hour each time to polish the hazy things. Did not last long. Compare to the original part which required oh 9-10 years to get bad enough to need the polish [or replacement].

This replacement was about an hour, and half of that was getting out tools and putting them away because I cannot work IN the garage.... and I have 4 used bulbs left over. I expect these to last several years before needing attention, and by then the car will no longer be viable, the rust is already pretty much all the way thru the front strut supports.

I summarize the replacement route as somewhat more expensive, similar in time requirement, and far superior in results. And, remember, I am a certified Cheap B@$tard.
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:03 PM

I was wondering how this stuff works and how long it lasts.
Doing this every year would be too big a pain.
I cannot believe how many late model cars (including 'luxury' cars) I see with hazy headlights. There has to be a better material to use...
I consider my lazy self lucky to have all glass lights...
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
There has to be a better material to use...
There is. It's called "GLASS."

My E36 BMW has plastic headlights, but apparently the ones they used in Europe were glass, and people over here buy used ones form over there.

To be more specific on my solution:

I bought a Mother's kit, consisting of two tiny sandpaper pads, each with two different sides (about 1,000, 1,200, 1,500, and 2,000 grit), one "fleece" polishing cloth, one spherical foam electric-drill polishing attachment, and one bottle of polish, on clearance sale at a local parts store, for about $10.

I spent about an hour doing the job the first time, then got wise, and spent less than half an hour the second time for the same result (it doesn't have to be perfect).

I never used the polishing attachment or the cloth, and fine sandpaper is easy enough to find in the garage, so all you really need is a bottle of polishing compound.

I have already replaced one headlight assembly on my Jeep, and it was a royal PIA, requiring that fasteners that are invisible, unreachable, and completely frozen, be loosened, and I'd rather just hit the lights with a bit of sandpaper and polish every now and then.

- Eric
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:59 PM

I did the same thing. We park in the garage and it still only lasted about 6 months. I found the complete set with bulbs for the same $80 on eBay. I thought it was to go to be true but I tried it anyway. Now I have a happy life because I have a happy wife!
Old December 4th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Justin

I forgot to take a pic before but here is what it is I think it costs about 50 bucks we charge 85 to do it takes about a hr

FE84A1F7-718D-4224-8723-C871E29D73D1.jpg
F80C676D-A354-46B3-B388-706B43584EAC.jpg

Edit : I would like to add depending on head light size you can do two sets of lights most of the time

Last edited by oldstata; December 4th, 2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
I am a certified Cheap B@$tard.
Chris, is there an online test for this certification? I'm just at the amateur level so having the certificate to make me official would be great.
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:23 AM

I'm the original cheap ba$t%^d.

On my newer cars I use plain old rubbing compound, followed by polishing compound. It usually lasts about 6 months before having to re-apply. It's easier (and definatly cheaper) than the "kits" that you will find.
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:24 AM

I have had pretty good success with this 3M kit, I think its normally $20 but I picked it up on sale for $15 a couple times. I have an outside parked car that I used this on about a year ago and it still looks good.

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...ns-Repair.html
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:26 AM

A friend told me that applying Armor All periodically will keep them from frosting.
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM

my boss used two those kits kits on one car and still didn't get it right. customer was not happy
Old December 4th, 2013, 09:27 AM

I'm with replacements. I replaced a Grand Cherokee set a few years back after spending money and much time trying to resto. Your right about searching prices though. Wide variation. I got Mopar original parts for a good price.
Old December 4th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

A cheaper way of doing it. Is wet sand with 1500 then 3000 or 2000 grit then buff it like paint. It will eventally dull again but it does last.
Old December 4th, 2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
I'm the original cheap ba$t%^d.

On my newer cars I use plain old rubbing compound, followed by polishing compound. It usually lasts about 6 months before having to re-apply. It's easier (and definatly cheaper) than the "kits" that you will find.
I use this method too and it does not take that long
Old December 4th, 2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Well, I have $50 or so into two polish kits, and at least two main 9007 lamps. Took probably an hour each time to polish the hazy things. Did not last long. Compare to the original part which required oh 9-10 years to get bad enough to need the polish [or replacement].

This replacement was about an hour, and half of that was getting out tools and putting them away because I cannot work IN the garage.... and I have 4 used bulbs left over. I expect these to last several years before needing attention, and by then the car will no longer be viable, the rust is already pretty much all the way thru the front strut supports.

I summarize the replacement route as somewhat more expensive, similar in time requirement, and far superior in results. And, remember, I am a certified Cheap B@$tard.
You forgot to add in the cost of the 4 mm socket