General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New to site

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM

New to site

Hello fellow Olds owners. I am new to the forum site, well not really, but this is my first post. I have a 70 442 convertible that I have owned since 1984. In 1990 I started a frame off resto. I really had it going, collected many parts, even extras of many parts, most original from every boneyard in the area.
I found an excellent body man that started working on the car. I was selling welding gases and equipment at the time and I traded a welder, plasma cutter and several other items for the work. He got several things done, put on new GM quarters, stripped and painted the underside and painted the frame.
However, I found out later he had a nose candy problem and was losing his business. I went out to check on the car one day and it was sitting outside in the rain with my freshly rebuilt 455 uncovered. I was pis*ed! I took the car home, pulled the heads and found water in one cylinder with a tiny bit of pitting. By the time I got back to him the doors were locked and he was out of business, getting divorced and sitting in jail. I was devastated and depressed. I lost the welding equipment and my car was not done. I shoved it and all the parts in the corner of my shop and let it sit. Then the kids came along and I didn’t have the money or time to start again.
Now 19 years later, I’m getting fired up on it again and ready to do something. I still have all the parts I collected and I have moved it to the middle of the shop. I’m in the process of looking for a good body man again. I have started doing some things to it myself and have been going through all the parts. I have many new GM parts as well still in original boxes.
Please give me a little encouragement so I can get this thing back together. And wish me luck.
Any tips on finding a quality body shop are appreciated.
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:26 PM
olds..older..oldest

40 year resto

Never too late to start in on bringing an Olds back to life!! You were going at it when the car was 20, and now ya' gotta get back at it seeing as how it's 40! If not ,you'll be old and stiff and parts will be hard to come by when it'6 60 in 2030...derek
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Welcome to the site. Best bet for finding a quality shop would be to ask around. I know it sounds condescending, but it is the truth. Go to a classic car show, and talk to the people who's cars impress you, then interview the shops that they recommend. Likely there will be one that "clicks". It sounds like you already know what to look out for, so finding the right one should be no problem. Good luck, and look forward to updates
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Good luck with the re-start of the restoration. Don't lose hope thats why we hang together on this site. Take small steps and don't let it overwhelm you.
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:03 AM
may the Olds be with you

welcome! best of luck with the resto!
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Welcome

Welcome to the forum!

The best bet is to ask at car shows and see who they recommend. Then go check them out. Often I have found that good shops have smaller shops that they sub to and will recommend them as well.

I have a friend that owns one of the large insurance claim body shops and they don't do custom work because of the cost, but have a ton of places to recommend you to. I've got a list of about 20 top shops in my area - I'm sure after asking around at a few weekend car gatherings you will find something.