General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

new and old all at once

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM

new and old all at once

hi guys

great website

I have 3 large Oldsmobiles:

1976 Toronado Brougham, 1975 Delta 88 Royale convertible and newly acquired 1976 Custom Cruiser (my daily driver)

I was going to post in LARGE CARS section but I couldn't, and since all 3 models are not all inclusive of the sub-forums, I figured I would post here and tell about all of them.

They are my kids, and I have no favorites, but the Toronado is absolutely spectacular. It was 1 owner car and I bought it 3 years ago from the original owner's estate with 50k and every service record from day 1. It had a little paintwork done in the early 80s after a tree limb fell on the roof. Other than that, all original paint and interior, down to the speakers and hose clamps.

Actually, I did replace the A/C's VIR system with a retrofit so now the compressor cycles instead of the dreaded VIR valve sticking and blowing out the compressors' front seal (I did this to all 3 cars)

I get in the upper 30s degrees at the vents on all 3 cars, and in South Florida, that is mandatory. I refuse to tint the windows.

The 88 found me a couple of years ago, and it is pretty awesome as well. Although it came with no documentation except for inspection records with mileage, it is all there and needed very little to bring it back to like-new condition.

It had some mysteries, like the wrong carb and a replaced hood, and turns out that maybe it had a fire and was repaired back in the early 80s, at an Oldsmobile dealer. My mechanic says it was done right, and after we swapped the carb a couple of times I finally gave in and put an Edelbrock on it. The cat came off as well, and now the car feels like it lost 1,000 pounds, and the 350 performs great.

I also did some stereo work to all 3 cars. They all have the original AM/FM Stereo (only the 88 does not have an 8 track), all 3 have power antennas (only the CC antenna works but I will not fix the others) and all now have satellite radio and iPod jacks that play though the factory radio. I added an amp and replaced all speakers in the 88, and replaced all speakers in the CC. The Toronado needed nothing but the satellite and iPod hookup.

Both the Toro and the 88 are award winners (The Toro is an AACA junior and an OCA Senior, and the 88 won 1st place at Olds Nationals last year.)

But I really like driving them. I love the big cars, and these are so comfortable.

The wagon has 107,000 on its 455, and is such a head-turner. It always draws a crowd.

I get stopped all the time, you just don't see these anymore, and I'll tell you, for a huge boat, it really hauls ***.

Some pics:

more pics below in link in sig
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Nice story and nice cars! I do have a hidden passion for the Toros, even though they are "wrong-wheel-drive"... I guess because they are so unique looking and often heavily optioned. Of course all three of yours now fit that description!
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Beautimus cars
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM

The Toro is nicely equipped, as is Big Edie (the CC) but Miss Delta is not: A/C, tilt, AM/FM Stereo, p/antenna, wire covers, light group and mats was about it. But the windows and door locks always work and although I do like cruise, I can live without it.