General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New name idea for classicoldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2011, 05:08 AM

New name idea for classicoldsmobile

We can call it ChevyPoweredClassicOldsmobile.com

Seems like everyday i find a new thread about LS powered Oldsmobiles. I am about sick of it. I dont know what happened. 1 year ago this kinda stuff wasnt really allowed. Now all of the sudden the moderators and some members are all about chevy powered Oldsmobiles. Whats going on here. Why here let them go to a A body, chevy, ls, or make there own forum. But NOT here on Classicolds. Come on guys. I know Oldsmobile is dead. But no reason to kick it when its down!
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:23 AM

Well I am not fond of hearing about Chebby powered Oldsmobiles that originally were Olds powered. If I see one at a show or cruise nite I think...what a turd, and keep walking. But everyone has their own opinion and I can pass over these posts on Classic Olds.
Old June 8th, 2011, 05:28 AM
"Car"mudgeon

X3
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Certifiable car addict...

FWIW...

I know I'm fairly new here, but it seems to me this is happening more and more where these older cars are concerned. I really like the "purist" feel of the site, and that's one of the things that drew me in here. You guys don't put up with a lot of BS.

I think that being an orphan car now, we're starting to see several things happen.

1 - Increasing scarcity of parts at a decent price (both used and aftermarket)

2 - Loss of knowledge in the general public and shop technicians about building and maintaining older motors. (Especially carburated ones) leading to reliability, safety and cost issues for the owners of these vehicles.

3 - Rising fuel costs.

Because of all these combined factors, it's getting more and more difficult to obtain & maintain some of these older engines. Sure it can be done, but how much is it going to run you to build and maintain it over the next decade or beyond...

I'm all for keeping things original, but there's a lot of people out there on a budget that just can't afford to go out and build the 400/425/455 they really want from the ground up, and when they do the price comparisons on dropping in a Gen IV motor, and you take into account the reliability and MPG factors, I can see why a lot of people are choosing to go this route.

I would rather see a nice old Cutlass cruising around powered by a dozen squirrels on treadmills moving around under it's own power and being driven and enjoyed by the owner than sitting in a garage or yard under a tree or a tarp and going to waste.

All that being said, yes, this is a purist site (moreso than most of the others I have visited anyhow.) Put builds like an LS1 swap into the "non-olds" powered forum, or since it's becoming so much more prevalent, start a specific "LS-swaps" category.

I would imagine that if Olds were still building cars & their own late model engines, most of the people doing this kind of swap would opt to go that route, and keep it "All Olds" but since these cars are now orphans, the options are limited for upgrading in this fashion.

I'm actually really enjoying seeing a lot of the creativity and problem-solving skillsets that are being used & shared here on the forums about this stuff, and to keep people happy, I have no problems with classifying it into its own area, wherever that may be. Don't make them feel unwelcome or run them off for doing their own thing. That kind of mindset leads to segregation. To each his own. If this forum refuses to let things like this happen, or gives these folks performing this style of modification/upgrades the idea that they won't feel welcome here, they will go elsewhere, and that diminishes our total knowledge pool for the site. Things like that will eventually lead to more and more people abandoning this forum for more accepting webspaces.

And I'd MUCH rather see a nice clean install of a late-model motor than someone welding in a SBC and then asking questions about how to get that up and running once it's slammed in the engine bay.

just my 2c

-Jeff

Last edited by GTI_Guru; June 8th, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:29 AM
car guy

Theads like this are 100% pointless and only made to stir the pot. Any engine swap stuff gets posted in the non Olds section or gets moved there as soon a one of us sees it. The only exception I know of is the one build going on in major builds section. The thread was left there becuase it has a lot of great general information and was started before the new non-olds section was created.

If you don't like something don't look at it. The vast majority of threads have nothing to do with non-Olds builds.
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Past Administrator

I agree with Richard completely. You are incorrect stating that "1 year ago this kinda stuff wasnt really allowed". We never had any rules regulating discussion of non-Oldsmobile power. You are correct that there seems to be more threads about this now, in part, this is the reason we have added the forum Richard mentioned. These people still like their Oldsmobile cars and are simply exhibiting different options for the engine for whatever reason. I understand your discomfort that our website is changing but change is everywhere and inevitable and changing the name is not an option. You know that of course.
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I agree with Richard completely. You are incorrect stating that "1 year ago this kinda stuff wasnt really allowed". We never had any rules regulating discussion of non-Oldsmobile power. You are correct that there seems to be more threads about this now, in part, this is the reason we have added the forum Richard mentioned. These people still like their Oldsmobile cars and are simply exhibiting different options for the engine for whatever reason. I understand your discomfort that our website is changing but change is everywhere and inevitable and changing the name is not an option. You know that of course.

Well 1 year ago this stuff was frowned upon, and members were not into it like it is now. Ite their car they can do what they want with it. But in MY opinion do it somewhere else. Plenty of places they can go and talk about LS powered Olds. Really this is the example we are setting for the next generation coming into it. This is one of the best Olds sites on the net. But its changing and i dont like the direction. First you started the Non olds powered section. Now its all over. There are 2 build threads in the restoration area with LS powered Olds.

Oh and why did i get a infraction on here? What for having an opinion???? Might as well put it in the open. I have nothing to hide.
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
If you don't like something don't look at it.

How am i supposed to know???? I see a thread on a 72 442 clone in the build section. Then after reading i see its LS powered. If it was in the right section i would wouldnt look at it to start with.
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:39 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by f-85
There are 2 build threads in the restoration area with LS powered Olds.
I had not noticed the other thread it has been moved

Oh and why did i get a infraction on here? What for having an opinion???? Might as well put it in the open. I have nothing to hide.
Not sure I did not issue it

How am i supposed to know???? I see a thread on a 72 442 clone in the build section. Then after reading i see its LS powered. If it was in the right section i would wouldnt look at it to start with.
The title has been edited so anyone can see it before opening. Like I said Garys68 started the thread before the Non-Olds section was started and it is not only about his swap. There is a lot of great general information in the thread he is sharing with the group. Any new threads will be moved but that one stays.
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I had not noticed the other thread it has been moved

Not sure I did not issue it

The title has been edited so anyone can see it before opening. Like I said Garys68 started the thread before the Non-Olds section was started and it is not only about his swap. There is a lot of great general information in the thread he is sharing with the group. Any new threads will be moved but that one stays.

No worries. Im not gonna beat it to death. Just wanted to express my feelings on it.

I know you didnt. It has the moderators name on the infraction.

Dont get me wrong i love all kinds of cars. And to each his own.
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I personally would like to have people come here to learn about Oldsmobile engines.
Hence the term, "Classic"
This place is like an old motors manual. I don't want a sea of people scribbling all over the pages.

I was ok with 1 really in depth LS swap thread on the site so all the curious ones would know what they were missing out on.

BUT....

Now we are starting to have roaches creeping in chanting chevy power, and Olds is dead, give up. Pretty soon I feel it will get worse.

Right now, there are 5 intelligent people in here debating..... I fear that soon it will be 25 unintelligent people debating in here.