General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New Jersey Olds Get Together ?

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2011, 01:20 PM

New Jersey Olds Get Together ?

To those in central or north Jersey (or anyone else interested), any interest in a late July or early August picnic and car gathering at a NJ location yet to be determined ? Nothing fancy or uber-organized. Can choose location at suggestion of group.

if interested, please pm...
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Great idea! PM sent! Tom
Old June 16th, 2011, 03:37 PM

I would be in for it if we had a nice turnout....hate for people to show up for 3 or 4 cars..... I am a member of the DVOC and we have a Olds show in October in Downingtown Pa. For me about 50 miles each way from Trenton NJ....turnout gets more sparce every year....cant understand why. If you have an Olds and like talking and seeing others it would make sense to me to try and be there no matter what??
Old June 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM

Hey guys, how about "Liberty State Park" for our location. What do you think? Tom
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:35 PM

Pending on date and loctaion
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:00 AM

Guys....by all means keep this thread alive but can you e-mail me at rutgersfan1@hotmail.com so I can coordinate your input with same from others I've reached who aren't on this site ?

To allow more time for recruiting people and planning, i'm thinking the last Sat in July (the 30th) and the follow up Sat. (aug 6) as a rain date. How's that ?

I don't know much about Liberty State Park but it sounds like a good starting point for discussion. I can scout it out. Are there grills ? Are reservations needed ? Would there be any sort of 'separation' of our group from other visitors that day ?

And are we thinking this will be a family event or a guy event ?
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Hi, I am interested. I live in Colts Neck, NJ. The nearest large towns are Red Bank and Freehold. I am about 1/2 between both.

In Colts Neck we have several large parks with space for literally hundreds of cars if needed. I don't know of grills in the parks, but grilling is allowed. Most of the time the parks are not crowded and given the size of some it is easy to isolate a very large group. One of the parks has a large pond.....and they all have ballfields.

I don't believe reservations are required (I could check), but if we are talking less then 50 cars I would say definitely not required. I have seen events with 200 or more cars and never heard about reservations being needed.

As far as dates I would prefer Aug 6th.
Old June 18th, 2011, 07:13 AM

I am interested in showing up and hanging out. Not sure if either wagon would be up and running by that time. Ofcourse if people really wanted to see one I could throw it on the hauler and drive up depending on how far.
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM
1971 Cutlass S

I'm in Cape May, but would consider driving to this event depending on where it is held. Within 100 Miles of here I would probably come.
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by OldsManNJ
I'm in Cape May, but would consider driving to this event depending on where it is held. Within 100 Miles of here I would probably come.
Well, per Google maps you are 110 miles from Colts Neck.
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:32 AM
1971 Cutlass S

Well Hell - I would drive the extra 10 miles just to see that BEAUTIFUL 442 you have, ColtsNeckBob...
Old June 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
My 73HO

OldsmanNJ... I am at exit 25 GSP and I have never seen that red machine of yours on the road???? Clearly you dont drive that beauty enough??? WHats up with hiding it?? LOL
Old June 19th, 2011, 07:08 AM
1971 Cutlass S

It's my year round daily driver so it is on the road plenty - Where you at the Gentilini show a few weeks ago? I had it there - I will also be in the Wildwood Show in September.

Originally Posted by Hurstolds1973
OldsmanNJ... I am at exit 25 GSP and I have never seen that red machine of yours on the road???? Clearly you dont drive that beauty enough??? WHats up with hiding it?? LOL
Old June 19th, 2011, 08:50 AM

I go to a car hang out every sat night it would be nice to see some more oldsmobiles there.www.whiskeycafe.com l will consider going to the event depending on where it is held.

Last edited by 2olds; June 19th, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:59 AM

Ok Guys...

it's impossible to please everyone. To try to be fair I googled "central Jersey" and the most common southern boundary cited is Monmouth County in the East and Mercer County & Trenton to the west.

Using that it seems to me the reasonable central location for a NNJ/CNJ event which could be between northern Monmouth (GSP 120 or higher), Middlesex, Union County and southern Essex County, with the latter three of those being more easily reached by those out west nearer PA. I also think we should choose a place not far too from the GSP or Turnpike to make it easier for more people. The Liberty State Park suggestion is also on the table.

On the way back from the Long Branch car show yesterday I scouted Cheesequake State Park in Matawan, the Watchung Reservation in the Warren, NJ area, and the South Mountain Reservation in Essex. I am also familiar with Johnson Park in Piscataway along the Raritan. Thoughts ? Aside from the $10 per car park entry fee (maybe we could get a discount?), I did think Cheesequake was a large enough park so we could find our own corner (especially if they let us park on the grass). We could also find our own place within the South Mountain reservation (no fee) but the main Watchung Reservation picnic area doesn't seem to be roomy enough for us and also for other crowds. My own bias is that I the South Mountain reservation is close enough to my home that I could bring a vehicle loaded with canopies, grills, tables, chairs, etc. and then go home and come back with my car. But I'd travel too, but can't bring all that stuff in my Olds.

Also, in Long Branch yesterday and at some other cruise nights I've been handing out flyers about this to other owners. So tho we can keep this thread going, I hope you guys can send me your e-mail addresses to cut down on the communications to different groups.
Old June 20th, 2011, 06:45 PM
My 73HO

It's my year round daily driver so it is on the road plenty - Where you at the Gentilini show a few weeks ago? I had it there - I will also be in the Wildwood Show in September.
I always mis the Gentilini show due to work.... I do visit the Wildwood show in September then the Maryland Indian summer show..... Dont know how I coulda missed that beauty....
Heres a pic of me in my HO during a show 2 years ago in Wildwood..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HurstOlds.1.jpg (64.1 KB, 15 views)
HurstOlds.2.jpg (80.7 KB, 15 views)
HurstOlds.3.jpg (76.4 KB, 8 views)
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:30 PM

-

can't help but hijack my own thread...that is a sharp car 73.
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by VikingBlue
Ok Guys...

it's impossible to please everyone. To try to be fair I googled "central Jersey" and the most common southern boundary cited is Monmouth County in the East and Mercer County & Trenton to the west.

Using that it seems to me the reasonable central location for a NNJ/CNJ event which could be between northern Monmouth (GSP 120 or higher), Middlesex, Union County and southern Essex County, with the latter three of those being more easily reached by those out west nearer PA. I also think we should choose a place not far too from the GSP or Turnpike to make it easier for more people. The Liberty State Park suggestion is also on the table.

On the way back from the Long Branch car show yesterday I scouted Cheesequake State Park in Matawan, the Watchung Reservation in the Warren, NJ area, and the South Mountain Reservation in Essex. I am also familiar with Johnson Park in Piscataway along the Raritan. Thoughts ? Aside from the $10 per car park entry fee (maybe we could get a discount?), I did think Cheesequake was a large enough park so we could find our own corner (especially if they let us park on the grass). We could also find our own place within the South Mountain reservation (no fee) but the main Watchung Reservation picnic area doesn't seem to be roomy enough for us and also for other crowds. My own bias is that I the South Mountain reservation is close enough to my home that I could bring a vehicle loaded with canopies, grills, tables, chairs, etc. and then go home and come back with my car. But I'd travel too, but can't bring all that stuff in my Olds.

Also, in Long Branch yesterday and at some other cruise nights I've been handing out flyers about this to other owners. So tho we can keep this thread going, I hope you guys can send me your e-mail addresses to cut down on the communications to different groups.
Where in Long Branch? I am somewhat familiar with Johnson Park and I would not recommend it.....most cost I don't think we could isolate ourselves and it get very crowded on weekends. I also think the same is true of LSP.

However, over the next few weeks I will try and scout out places and yes we should keep the thread going.

thanks for your efforts V-Blue!!!!
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:06 AM

-

Bob...was there for the Father's Day Car Show along the Boardwalk....not to scout...not nearly a central location. As far as local shows go, it was fantastic. And I handed out my Olds picnic flyers to about 5-6 owners hoping they can participate.

Thinking about it more, I agree with you about Johnson Park. Yet several people so far seem to favor Liberty State Park so I will look into that.

I am hoping with more than a month to get the word out we can get 30 cars.
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:47 AM
My 73HO

can't help but hijack my own thread...that is a sharp car 73.
Sorry , Didint mean to get side tracked...
I sold one car to a north NJ guy so I will give him the heads up on the gathering. I am feverishly trying to complete my current restoration, so not sure if I will bring a car. I will try and attend later in the day when it goes down....
Old June 27th, 2011, 08:18 AM

Ttt

C'mon gang...need more. Liberty State Park has no picnic area spaces available but will get back to me about hosting a 'special event' but we'd need more people & cars to qualify.
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:08 AM

I am hoping with more than a month to get the word out we can get 30 cars.
30 cars would be great.....with PA. DE. NY so close to central Jersey it should be no problem to get that number one would think however it seems in actuality it is very tough.... Cant explain it.
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Hmmm, which one should I bring?

The Delta is kinda rough, so I'd have to bring the Alero

That red 71 is sweet and not too far from my Grandmom's house in North Cape May. I was going to try to get my old Delta in that boradwalk car show, but the car was a 85 and the cutoff was 83 because it wasn't 25 years old yet.

I'd be down for the 30th, but not the 6th because I'll have to pick up my son and such.

Of course the 30th would depend totally on if I get forced to work Saturday
Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:45 AM

I would love to come. Hopefully I have my 70 cutlass put together by then. Motor & trans is out, swapping with 455/400. How far from philly?
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:17 PM

NJ picnic

Re: locations convenient for perhaps the most people in CNJ and NNJ along the Turnpike, GSP and I-78 corridors, I feel either Liberty State Park as someone suggested and the Watchung Reservation are the best options. Watchung has two picnic areas available for reservations on August 6 and August 20th (see map Sky Top and Seeley's Pond..DD3 and DD1 on the map grid). Seeley's Pond is also available on the 13th.

Sky Top is adjacent to a scenic, wooded drive in the park but parking is limited to lined spaces along the roadway. The secluded picnic area is about 150-200 yards from the road. Seeley's Pond picnic area has a parking lot right next to the picnic area but that area isn't secluded and is along a main county road. Obviously some might not wish to be that far away from their cars in SkyTop.

Liberty State Park designated picnic areas are booked but picnicking is allowed by others so long as it's near charcoal barrels..on a first come first served basis. And I could get there at the opening time to get a spot for a grill, a canopy, etc. Parking would be in the general lot, and cars would not necessarily get to park together.

Having a "Special Event" at LSP would require paying a security guard, showing proof of insurance, paying for parking, etc and all this isn't what we're looking to do.

Someone suggested Colonial Park in Somerset but I have not visited there, and I don't think it's as convenient to highways as the other two places.

Watching charges $60 for a reservation for non-Union County residents (I am not) ...which I don't think is a big deal. Cheaper than $10 per car at Cheesequake Park in Matawan.

So I think each area has plusses and minuses.

Some have suggested delaying the picnic until cooler weather and less summer highway traffic, which is fine except that someone else would need to organize this because I'm tied up most fall weekends with kids' soccer, football, etc. My thought in the beginning is that a picnic/bbq is a summer kind of event but don't let me get in the way of the group's preference.

Cheesequake may still be a good option but from what I can tell the picnic areas get very crowded...
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM

In order not to drive yourself crazy as the organizer you just need to pick a spot and date thats best for you and if the date works it works. Those who can attend will and those that cant wont. This is always a problem. We (I)applaud your efforts!
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM

Do you have an estimate on how many cars may show up?
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:44 PM

-

I have about 20 'possibles' so far, depending on date and location. Several noted Aug 6 won't work, and others noted Aug 13 won't work.

So heeding your advice I will prob make a final plan and see who can come: Aug 20 in the Watchung Reservation. I'll do some final scouting and more recruiting this weekend.

I realize it's not especially convenient for the southern crowd (beachwood, tom's river) but I was not able to scout areas down there, and some southern folks did suggest Liberty SP, which isn't any closer to them than Watchung.

No matter how many or how few attend, i still think it's worth having as a starting point for expanding it the future. You got to start somewhere.

I could always invite other cars if having 20 cars is that important to everyone.
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Viking blue im in the brooklyn ny area let me know im down for it
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:56 PM

Aug 20th looks good for me. It doesn't matter where in NJ it is, it's not like NJ is a big state, plus I can be in some NJ places inside 20 minutes

I can post something on the Alero board about this, though there is not too many people on there in the PA, NJ, NY area anymore.

The only monkey wrench that I can see is getting forced to work overtime on that Saturday. I usually don't find out if I have to work or not until the Thursday before

And it will be Redog the Alero making the trip
Old July 14th, 2011, 02:41 PM

66 cutlass

Let me know i will come down toooo
btw im in queens ny....
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:46 AM

NJ Picnic RSVP Needed

OK Guys....I will purchase the reservation permit for August 20 in the Watchung Reservation if I can get 10 of you to commit (by middle of next week) to attending (unless it rains). It's the Seeley's Pond picnic area. Seems like it's fine for our purpose. The 'restroom' there is porto-potty if that matters to you. The reservation for a non-Union County resident is $60 (me)....$30 if someone who's a Union County resident makes the reservation.

There is a covered area and some trees for shade, and access to a pond for fishing. There are some places where you have room to cast a line but you can't really do serious fishing there...too many trees around the small lake.

Elsewhere in the large park there are ballfields, hiking trails, etc. if you want more time to do that stuff.

The Reservation is around Exit 43 on Rt 78.

Again, need 10 commits before I pay to reserve the area.
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:44 PM

Is this car show going on or is it cancelled
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM

^^ Good question
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ELECMAN
Is this car show going on or is it cancelled
I would assume so..... its tough to put something together and please everyone and get a good turnout. Anyone in the Central Jersey. Lower NY, Delaware area should think about attending the Delaware Valley Olds Club's Fall show. Fall Show -Sunday, October 9th, 2011 Kerr Park – Downingtown PA You can get further info from their site. This is a Chapter of the Oldsmobile Club of America and a nice location and good show. I am in Trenton NJ and for me it is about 50 miles each way.... which aint a bad run at all.
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:08 PM

-

my bad...i should have informed all that I got only 6 people to commit so I let it die....

a common thought was that August is usually too hot for outdoor gatherings, and others just had conflicts with the Aug 20 date.

I intend to try again next year but like I said earlier, if someone else wants to take the lead for an event in late Sept or October I will pass along all the contact info for the 15-20 people who seemed generally interested but not this weekend.
Old August 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM
My 73HO

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Anyone in the Central Jersey. Lower NY, Delaware area should think about attending the Delaware Valley Olds Club's Fall show. Fall Show -Sunday, October 9th, 2011 Kerr Park – Downingtown PA You can get further info from their site. This is a Chapter of the Oldsmobile Club of America and a nice location and good show. I am in Trenton NJ and for me it is about 50 miles each way.... which aint a bad run at all.
I agree! It always a great day to hang out and talk Oldsmobiles. I missed this year DVOC Spring show and havent seen the pictures yet. There is always a great mix of all the years and they do a nice job! Hope to see and meet some of you there this fall!
Some one come finish my car so I can drive it to the show~! LOL
Old August 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM

show

please add me to your list for next year. the car will be done.

stan@DreamWorksMuscleCars.us