General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New daily driver!

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2018, 01:07 PM

New daily driver!

My normal daily driver is on Death's doorstep (radiator boiling over), and I'm still waiting for the body shop to get around to fixing the leaks in my '67, so I needed to buy a new one and wanted another classic. After a week or two of looking, I just happened to come across this on eBay:

Won the auction for $1,775, but I've ended up paying $750 for new tires and $75 to get the transmission fixed so far, and I need to get the steering looked at. I've also dropped $300 on weatherstripping on eBay and $18 for a new hood release handle.

Interior was poorly recovered at some point in the distant past, and even the recovered interior is shot:

The carpet was replaced with a non-molded one that sits loosely on the floor.

Having trouble deciding if this is a genuine Car One Oldsmobile Edition Coach Edition Cutlass or a clone. Maybe you guys could help me out.

A fiber optic star and the numbers 38 and 36 are stylish additions.

The plastic hood release handle has been replaced with a fancier metal one.

Powered by !00% Olds iron. 350/2bbl

Will have to post more pics tomorrow.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 03:00 PM

Nice find! 4-doors are getting cooler all the time.

It's got A/C. That's neat. What's with that amber light on top of the driver's side inner fender?
Old November 2nd, 2018, 06:21 PM

The amber light is a safety item to remind you to watch where your fingers are going when the hood is up and the engine is running!
Old November 3rd, 2018, 03:11 AM

Looks like a fun daily driver, Love the PO's excellent modifications!!
Old November 3rd, 2018, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What's with that amber light on top of the driver's side inner fender?
IDK, but there's a corresponding floodlight attached to the hood:

Rain came pouring in from the top of the windshield and the bottom of the rear window when it rained yesterday, so I guess I'm going to be busy with the RTV.

Unsurprisingly, the floor has rotted away, but it's been replaced with some type of non-metallic material:

Trunk isn't too terrible. Only one hole.

Apparently, someone attempted to steal the car recently. There was glass on the floor, the vent window glass was replaced with a pane that doesn't fit and the steering column has been hacked into. A broken screwdriver blade fell onto the floor while I was driving it yesterday.

This, I can't even guess:

Cosmetically, the car only has a couple of blemishes viewable from a distance, and the bumpers are surprisingly rust-free.

But there's tons of hidden rust beneath a Great Wall of Bondo. The lip of the trunk reveals what the car is really like underneath it all:

Old November 3rd, 2018, 09:25 AM

Had my 70 town sedan since 81. Indestructible!
Old November 4th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I paid the slightly less for my 2 door in similar, maybe slightly worse shape. Through the seat cover back on and enjoy as is.
Old November 5th, 2018, 11:21 AM

If I had known it was in the condition it's in, I wouldn't have bought it. My only goal right now is to get the leak situation stabilized and get the car in good mechanical shape.

The left front turn signal wasn't working, so I opened it up to see what was wrong with it, and as soon as I took the lens off, orange water splattered everywhere.

I let it dry out, sprayed it with some QD Electronic Cleaner, scrubbed it with some Q-tips, and put in a new bulb, and it worked. Was blinking too slowly with the headlights on, and upon further investigation, I discovered that, instead of simply taking the lens off and letting the water out and replacing the bulb like I did, the previous owner decided to wire in a Nissan turn signal and strap it in below the grille with a zip tie:

Had a similar problem with one of the tail lights, and followed the same procedure. Checked the rest of the tail lights for water, and it turns out the upper ones had new sockets wired in and glued into the housings sideways.

As for the turn signal under the hood, I still have no idea why it's there, but I did learn that it's wire in the circuit with the flood light:
Old November 6th, 2018, 11:44 PM

Oh man!
Old November 7th, 2018, 12:23 PM

It looks like it has be "well driven"?
Old November 7th, 2018, 03:52 PM

Well-driven and poorly cared for.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 01:04 PM

So I've been doing some work on the car over the holidays, and I've removed the visors over the windows. I think the car looks a lot better without them breaking up the lines of the car.

I also got my new vent window installed along with some new vent window weatherstripping and new seals for the doors. Hopefully, this will help keep dew from building up on the inside of the windows at night. I found out all of my doors have rusted out corners. I guess I don't have to worry about buying new sweepers for them. The weatherstripping along the bottom of the vent window where the window meets the door has a gap in it that looks like it'll let water in. Is there any way to plump the weatherstripping up so it fills the gap?

Last edited by Tiberian Fiend; January 3rd, 2019 at 03:28 PM.