General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New Cutlass owner Needs some help

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Why do you say that? It's nearly identical to documented tags from 1966 Chevelles produced at the same plant and has the same format as documented Oshawa cowl tags used from at least 1964-67 (and likely earlier), as found on A-bodies, Novas, and Impalas built at that plant. It has all the correct info for a 1966 Cutlass convertible. It was an education for me, but I think the evidence is pretty conclusive.
Joe, I guess mostly because I've never seen it before on an Olds. Fact is, it could very likely is the original tag and I agree that this is very educational. We maybe should be saying Thank you to the OP for providing this learning opportunity. Maybe it's just because I haven't researched that plant in the past? Call it basic skepticism. I also went and looked at some other sources to get more info and found the same kind of VIN and Trim tag for 65 and earlier Cutlass models. Here's a great example I found (and am giving credit to) on www.442bro.com

Also note the relatively low production number on this one too as a comparison to the June build for the OPs car. Everything seems to match up so with all the evidence pointing to the VIN and trim tags being valid, I accept they are. This will also make it much easier for the OP to get documentation (as mentioned earlier) from Vintage Vehicle Services ; representing GM of Canada Limited.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
65 Oshawa 442.jpg (60.4 KB, 28 views)