General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

new car

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM

new car

Hey guy I got a new car to my selection but its a 86 cutlass supreme brougham. It's a vin Y 307 v8 2 door. I am going to use it as my daily it needs a tune up. I plan on replacing spark plugs/wires change oil and oil pan gasket, tranny filter/ fluid. Air filter. What else can I do to make it get the best mpg it can. It currently getting 14-15 combined without any tuneup. It's a nice car and i enjoy it

imagejpeg_2_6.jpg
Old December 18th, 2011, 04:55 PM

Looks like a solid car,a nice shiney paint job would reduce the drag co-efficient and mabey give you better mileage.Just a thought.
Old December 19th, 2011, 02:38 AM

Hey guys so can anyone teach me about my cutlass. All I know so far is its a cutlass supreme brougham with the olds 307. What transmision do I have gears ect. How would I find this out?
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:25 AM
delete

Does your gear selector show three forward gears or four? It could have a 200R4 but I am not sure if all had them. The 200R4 is more desirable and will give better gas mileage and performance.
For MPG concerns make sure it is well tuned, tires are properly inflated & you aren't carrying excess weight in the trunk.
Changing to all synthetic fluids is supposed to help.
How many miles are on it?
Old December 19th, 2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Does your gear selector show three forward gears or four? It could have a 200R4 but I am not sure if all had them. The 200R4 is more desirable and will give better gas mileage and performance.
For MPG concerns make sure it is well tuned, tires are properly inflated & you aren't carrying excess weight in the trunk.
Changing to all synthetic fluids is supposed to help.
How many miles are on it?
It has 3 forward gears. I think its displayed D 2 1. Spedometer says 66k miles I'm guessing it fliped. But engine is all stock and she drives good. Just need to do a tune up do it on all cars I buy
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:27 AM

okay you guys so i have a little problem tthe service engine light comes on and off so i read the codes and i got error code 21 tps and another code that said no registering speed. I looked up for quite a while so the tps might he cause the other code from what i read. Had a buddy check tps and he said its good its close to 5volts. ? Any help please. I need to smog
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:45 AM

Hmm - tps close to 5 volts??? doesn't make sense. TPS should be a 3 wire sensor (unless it has closed or wide open throttle switches which I don't think it has). 5 volts reference, ground, and signal wires. While I have no specs with me, typical tps values would be 0.5 V closed throttle and 4.5 V wide open throttle on the signal wire. This should change linearly with throttle open %.
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jackedolds
Hmm - tps close to 5 volts??? doesn't make sense. TPS should be a 3 wire sensor (unless it has closed or wide open throttle switches which I don't think it has). 5 volts reference, ground, and signal wires. While I have no specs with me, typical tps values would be 0.5 V closed throttle and 4.5 V wide open throttle on the signal wire. This should change linearly with throttle open %.
he told me it says to disconnect and check it and it should be 5 V. And that what it was.? What should be the next thing to check?
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice looking driver! I'd also look at getting it an inexpensive paint job sometime soon too. Primer doesn't repel water, it absorbs it and will start rusting any metal underneath.
re: your SES light. code 21 tps means the voltage is reading HIGH. What was the other code?
CODE 21
Trouble Code 21 indicates that the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is reading abnormally high. TPS volts should be close to 0.42 V at closed throttle and rise smoothly in about 0.02 volt increments to a maximum reading of about 4.85 volts at WOT.

The conditions for setting this code are:
  • the engine is running, and
  • Code 33 or 34 (MAF error) is not set, and
  • TPS reading is > 4.90 volts - or -
  • TPS reading stays between 2.5 and 4.9 volts, and
  • MAF reading is < 15 grams/second, and
  • the above two conditions are present for more than 5 seconds
Note: During a Code 21 condition, the ECM uses a default TPS value of 2.6 volts. This will cause the engine to idle very high.
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:31 PM

I assume that you checked the center wire on the connector (dk blue)? If so, and it measured 5V unplugged, there is a high liklihood that the signal wiring from the ECM to the TPS is good.

Now, get a small paperclip and make a gentle point on one end (not super sharp). plug the TPS in and insert the paperclip between the weatherpack (rubber seal in the connector housing) and the wire insulation. Be gentle and do not force it as you could potentially damage the terminals - you just need to make contact with the metal terminals. With the TPS plugged in and the key on you should measure 0V on the ground wire (black on one end of connector, note that you may measure some mV but it should be ideally less than 50 mV but probably more like 100 mV given the age of the car), 5V on the reference wire (grey on opposite end of connector) and about 0.5 V on the signal wire (dark blue in center of connector) with the throttle closed. Staying on the signal wire with the key still on, slowly open the throttle. The voltage should increase without dropping out up to about 4.5 volts at wide open throttle. The values are not specific and could deviate some - they are generic TPS voltages. Feel free to post questions if this does not make sense. Enjoy :-)

I suspect you will find 5V on the signal wire when plugged in at all throttle openings given the code listed. If this is the case, make sure you have checked the ground wire for zero voltage as a lack of ground will also cause 5V on the signal wire at all times (signal high condition).

Last edited by jackedolds; December 20th, 2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: additional info