General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need some help on pricing an Olds engine

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM

Need some help on pricing an Olds engine

So I've always wanted to rebuild an engine and since I love Oldsmobiles, I am looking for a good engine core. I've found a couple around my area, but most people I've talked to don't know what their engines are worth and I don't know either.

I want to get your guys' opinions on engines and price ranges I should be seeing. Assume all of these are cores, in need of rebuilds and please give me your "gut feeling" on what it should cost.

1. 1971 Olds 350 block, #7 heads, carb to pan, 30 over, rolls over by hand, comes with TH 350 (also a core).
  2. 1969 Olds 350 block, #5 heads, carb to pan, std. bore, rolls over by hand comes with a TH 350 (again, a core).
  3. 1975 Olds 455 block, ??? heads, carb to pan, std. bore, stuck completely, comes with a TH 400 (a core).
These are all real offers I've seen at one time or another. I'm looking for just a ball park range, so I can make better choices about getting an engine to rebuild.

Thanks!
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'd go with the 75 455 (J heads BTW) Take the heads and pan off off before you go on the deal. Check to see if the cylinders are good or rusted/ maybe blown head gasket or you can see cylinder wall gouging. Trust me on this one - it could be ugly. Just that a 455/400 is a nice combo to rebuild. If its a salvagable block? I'd go cheap on the combo - 300 bucks.

If you had to pick one of the 350's - I'd take the 71. It's a strong performer and has good heads for most anything you want to do to it. At .30 over already, I wouldn't offer more than 400 for both engine and tranny.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM

I think this varies quite a bit from different parts of the country. Since you live in the rust belt I would suspect finding parts of this vintage would be much harder than someone in the Southwest US. I agree with Allen's numbers, but I think of the posts by a member in Eastern Canada that's been looking for a rebuildable 455 for quite a while. I'm drawing a blank on his name but he has a really nice looking blue with black stripes 1968 Cutlass or 442.

So you may want to surf Craigslist from several different citys in neighboring states to see what's being advertized. That may give you an idea what the market price is running. You may also find its worth driving a couple hundred miles to have a better selection at a better price. John
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:28 PM

Thanks for your responses guys.

Take the heads and pan off off before you go on the deal.
Allan - I wish I could pull the heads off these motors, but a lot of times, the sellers don't want you taking their stuff apart (understandably).

John - Great idea with Craigslist. I found http://www.searchtempest.com/ which apparently allows you to search around larger areas with Craigslist.

I am really thinking of going with a 350 for a number of reasons.

1. For one, my car has a 350 / 350, 10 Bolt setup right now. Changing to a 455 would involve a lot of major driveline changes...
  2. Since it is a convertible, there will never be a time when this car goes to the track for anything other than being parked in the lot out front.
  3. Supposedly, the webbing on the 74 and later motors was thinned (Bill Trovato's book) which results in some other issues and necessitates an engine girdle.
  4. The biggest reason, though, is that the aftermarket for the 350 seems a lot more active than for the 455. I mean if you want a blower and car that runs 8s, yes, there's a lot out there for 455's. But it seems that there are more options and general parts available for the 350.
So, now for the prices I've seen:
1971 Olds 350 block with TH350 (#1) - Asking price was 350 bucks.
1969 Olds 350 block with TH350 (#2) - Asking price was 400 bucks.
1975 Olds 455 block with TH400 (#3) - Asking price was 1K bucks.

It sounds like those are the "going rate" according to what you guys were saying...