General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Buy the phenomenal conditioned, closely matched car for 4-5k extra.
22.22%
Wait it out and buy the exact match, risking never getting this done.
0%
Buy one now, sell it when I find the "exact match" later.
27.78%
Who cares? Be a man and make your own decision.
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Need some advice on a purchase...

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:37 PM

Question Need some advice on a purchase...

I need you guys to help me spend my money. I have 2 options and I'm including a poll on this issue as well b/c I'm very conflicted.

Backstory:
I've been looking to purchase an Oldsmobile like the one we had years ago. I've been looking for years to find the right one. At this point in time, I have 2 options.

Option 1--- Buy the one I found now.
Pros - it's the right color and it's in "showroom" condition. It really does seem to be in phenomenal condition.
Cons - the model yr is off by 1 yr and the trim package is not the same as the car we owned. It has different hubcaps and a couple differences in badges.

Option 2--- Wait longer and try to find an exact match later.
Pros - I believe I can find one that is the exact year with the exact trim package, color, options, etc.
Cons - The longer I look, the less of them there are on the road. I'm almost guaranteed not to be able to find one like the car mentioned in "Option 1".

option 1 vs. option 2
Option 1 will fill the "sentimental value" void NOW while my parents can still be surprised and enjoy it too. It's truly in a class of its own in terms of condition. I estimate it will cost me 4k or 5k more due to it's condition, which I might be able to recoup if/when I ever re-sell it. Option 2 would be more of a "daily driver" which would allow me to enjoy it more. It's condition is certain to not be as good so I would save 4k or 5k. I stand the chance to find a "perfect match".

Should I pay the 4k-5k premium and buy this close match now or continue to wait it out? Please take the poll or provide comments/insight. Asking the wife's opinion didn't help.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:44 PM
Administrator

As far as saving money, buy the most car you can within your budget. Yes you may find one that is less expensive up front, however you may spend the difference after the sale on needed maintenance. Don't buy a car and think your going to recoup your money later, things happen they are old cars. Buy the one you like, I've found colors don't make the car. Wheel covers can be changed also.

Does it really matter what we think? If you are like most of us your going to do what you want anyway.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:49 PM

doing what I want

Typically I do. I'm very particular to a fault. Basically I'm battling if this should be a "perfect match" or if I can just be happy being nearly a perfect match. The money isn't as much the issue, nor the condition of the car. The one we had back in the day was a beater, but it was "our" beater. So, a "showroom condition" version isn't exactly what I'm after.

If this were the "exact match" in showroom condition, I'd have bought it already.

I'm truly torn.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:53 PM

What years are we talking? Will the trim from the ideal car fit on this one? Can you make this enough like the one your looking for to be happy?

John
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:59 PM

77, 78, 79 Delta 88s. Mine was a Royale, the one I'm looking at is a base trim model. So, it's not like this will ever be a coveted antique Corvette over time or anything like that.

- The one I'm looking at has different hubcaps, but suspect I could switch them out.
- The front bench seat is a tad different as well as the lines on the interior (nothing I can do there).
- I could probably add 3 Royale badges to this one but it's in such good condition, I feel like I would be a bad owner for "defacing" an original.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:41 PM

So, you may have to "settle" for a phenomenal condition car that's pretty close versus holding out for an exact match? And when you do find the correct car (that's far more likely to need work) enough time may have passed that your parents may not be able to enjoy it? Plus your dealing with a car that your going to really have to search for excellent condition parts that will just add more time and money. Maybe try and split the difference and get a better price on the car, if it will ease your mind.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:14 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

What I'm getting from you is :

Money isn't really an issue.

This is not a car that you NEED.

It's a car you would LIKE.

With that said :

Are you a specifically an Olds &/or Delta fanatic ?.

Just how sentimental &/or nostalgic are you ?.
(as well as your parents)

How much will the itty-bitty details & such "jump out" at you or your parents.

IMHO - there are different levels of that which dictate just how OCD or not OCD you should be about this.

Also you should accept the fact right now ... you most likely won't get all your money back if you dive too deep into this.

If you have it (the $$$) & it makes you &/or your parents happy ... then I wouldn't sweat it so much (within reason of course).

You're really gonna have to think about some of the above & ultimately pick your own brain here ...

As I'm not so sure how deep your obsession runs to duplicate the exact car you had.

I have my own dreams of duplicating certain cars from my past ...

But as OCD as I might be on one hand about duplicating them - the other OCD part of me always finds something that was missing &/or could have been better.

At that point ... it's technically NOT a duplicate car anymore.
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:53 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

You will almost certainly never find THE car you had back in the day. It's not impossible unless you know the car was crushed, but you have more chance of winning the lotto jackpot twice.

Unless you have the resources to resto-mod a car back to exactly like your old one, (and you will never recoup your outlay), perhaps you should settle for as close as you can get.

Roger.
Old May 4th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Still on the planet...

Originally Posted by jjnine77
Typically I do. I'm very particular to a fault. Basically I'm battling if this should be a "perfect match" or if I can just be happy being nearly a perfect match. The money isn't as much the issue, nor the condition of the car. The one we had back in the day was a beater, but it was "our" beater. So, a "showroom condition" version isn't exactly what I'm after.

If this were the "exact match" in showroom condition, I'd have bought it already.

I'm truly torn.

Buy the vehicle that makes you, and those you want to please, happy. Enjoy it now and if your perfect match shows up at a later date buy it and sell the stand in. As others have said, you'll never come close to recovering the investment, but it sounds like this isn't your first priority. Good luck with your decision and Happy Motoring!
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:37 AM

The right car

I too was looking for just the right car. I opted for one that was the correct year and style and was a frame off restoration. The differences were in color and trim and the new one was auto while the other was 4 speed. I could have paid double the price and found a 4 speed car but it would be very unlikely to find the correct color combo.

I'm enjoying the new car and could if I wanted to, change it to 4 speed and still save a lot of money.

JOhn
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:49 AM

I have to say get the one you found already, maybe negotiate to get a lower price, then sell it if you find the "perfect match".
These big cars are not easy to find as say a Cutlass. Also through 30+ years they will often have been changed by past owners. Also finding one in top shape is often difficult.
The wheel covers can be changed and trim/badges are just little stuff - not as easily noticed. Glue the Royale badges on so as not to drill holes (if you wish).
If you want more options, those can be added, often with the ability to go back to stock.
I think your folks will be happy with the one you found, especially since it is in great shape. Even they might not notice the little differences