General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My new hauler

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2011, 02:28 PM

My new hauler

Hey guys just picked up a Chevy ramp truck to haul my car to events. Hopefully I can make some. It's an 88 Chevy with 454 TBI with dual exhaust, and TH400 transmission. It has PW, PDL(don't work), A/C(not sure if it works) Nicely kept interior, spot lights(not hooked up as it's not legal), sunvisor, rear bed lights, heavy duty winch, lots of storage space(need keys made), dual tanks, aluminum wheels, running boards, clearance lights all round, and large aluminum wing. The bad is it need some lights and maybe brakes on the front. The rear body has some bad rust but should be way easy to fix. Truck runs very good and pulls strong. I think I got a deal on the price but paid heavy for the tax, title, and registration. Also need front tires. But love being behind the wheel of something large. Something I miss from when I was still driving truck.
100_8066.jpg

100_8068.jpg

100_8070.jpg

100_8075.jpg

100_8077.jpg

100_8078.jpg

100_8080.jpg

100_8081.jpg

100_8082.jpg

100_8083.jpg
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Hangin' out...

Nice rig, congrats! How much that set you back?
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by henryk8398
Nice rig, congrats! How much that set you back?
The price of the rig was resonable. The tax, title and tag Killed me. They go by GVW and this thing has it set at like 24K lbs.
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM
car guy

Nice!! would be the perfect hauller with a Cummins conversion.
Whats it got now a 454 and gets 7 MPG?
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:50 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Nice! I can see where a truck like this could come in handy
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Nice!! would be the perfect hauller with a Cummins conversion.
Whats it got now a 454 and gets 7 MPG?

If only I could afford something with a Cummins. And one of my requirements for the truck I got was it be a crewcab. If I take more than me and the Wife I don't want to be cramped in the cab. Also if I ever do long trips the wife likes to lay down and take naps and that huge back seat is perfect for that. This would make a great truck for heading out to RTTH's. I think once I fits the exhaust and tune it up it might get 12-15 on the highway. It is fuel injected so that should help.
Old February 20th, 2011, 06:58 AM
GM Enthusiast

Nice rig Stickman. Except, now you'll probably get into more trouble because it will be easier to get more projects to your house!
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by The Stickman
If only I could afford something with a Cummins. And one of my requirements for the truck I got was it be a crewcab. If I take more than me and the Wife I don't want to be cramped in the cab. Also if I ever do long trips the wife likes to lay down and take naps and that huge back seat is perfect for that. This would make a great truck for heading out to RTTH's. I think once I fits the exhaust and tune it up it might get 12-15 on the highway. It is fuel injected so that should help.
Even injected I would be supprised if you can get over 8-9 MPG loaded. One of my future projects in my head is an old body style GM crew cab like that but junk the 454 and build it with a 5.9 Cummins. I have always had gas tow rigs in the past and now that I picked up a 01 Dodge a couple years ago I will never go back. When I went to Ohio with my car and trailer behind it and the cruise set at 65-70 the whole way I was getting 17mpg and it had over 200K miles when I bought it. I just hate thats its in the body of a Dodge and you can't get a real crew cab. (until they built the Mega Cab but those are 30-40K out of my price range)
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM

just think, you can pull a trailer with that. Two cars at one time.

those are nice,my last truck was a 89 crew,dually with a regular box. It was great for towing and sleeping in at the track.

it would get 9mpg empty or loaded. Always wanted to do a diesel conversion
on it but never did. I heard there are small cube vans like a bread truck or
UPS truck that has a 6 cyl diesel that GM built that is supposed to be
a drop in and go .

I think you gonna like it .
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Even injected I would be supprised if you can get over 8-9 MPG loaded. One of my future projects in my head is an old body style GM crew cab like that but junk the 454 and build it with a 5.9 Cummins. I have always had gas tow rigs in the past and now that I picked up a 01 Dodge a couple years ago I will never go back. When I went to Ohio with my car and trailer behind it and the cruise set at 65-70 the whole way I was getting 17mpg and it had over 200K miles when I bought it. I just hate thats its in the body of a Dodge and you can't get a real crew cab. (until they built the Mega Cab but those are 30-40K out of my price range)

You would be surprised how many duallies are out there without engine and trans because people buy them for the engine and trans. So if that's what you are looking for you should be able to find cheap ones. I was looking at Diesels more specifically ex-DOT trucks at an auction and couldn't come close on price. But that may have been a Godsend for me. On of my bad migraine triggers is the smell ofraw diesel fuel. So if I got a leak or had to fix it I would be hurting. One of the other things I wanted in a truck was lockable storage space, so it was either this or a utility bed. I want to be able to stop and not have to worry about my stuff.
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:36 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Red71
just think, you can pull a trailer with that. Two cars at one time.

those are nice,my last truck was a 89 crew,dually with a regular box. It was great for towing and sleeping in at the track.

it would get 9mpg empty or loaded. Always wanted to do a diesel conversion
on it but never did. I heard there are small cube vans like a bread truck or
UPS truck that has a 6 cyl diesel that GM built that is supposed to be
a drop in and go .

I think you gonna like it .
You are thinking of a Cummins 4BT. Its basicly a smaller version of the Cummins found in the Dodge trucks.
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Thumbs up

NIce Rig Stickman! GOOD luck w/ it. Oughta get the job done for sure!
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:47 PM

How could would it be to pull into a Nostalgia event with a ramp bed on one of these and have it Olds Diesel powered?

Old February 20th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's a really nice truck. I love the compartments. Looks like a real "find."

If you're thinking of diesel transplants, you should consider the GM 6.2 (non-blown).
I've got one in my '90 pickup. Gets 20mpg highway unloaded / 13mpg pulling an 8,000 lb trailer, with 275,000 miles on it. Absolutely true that it can't get out of its own way, but when I'm in that thing, I ain't lookin' to race anyone, and when I'm towing, I catch myself creeping up on 80mph all the time, even with that motor.
They ought to be cheap and plentiful in the junkyards, and require no electronics - just a 12v wire.

- Eric
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:34 PM

Thought I would say thanx for all the comments and post pics of my old ramp truck that I bought about 15 years ago or so.
Scan.jpg
Scan1.jpg