General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My new 76 Cutlass!

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2021, 10:11 PM

My new 76 Cutlass!

So I joined this site earlier this year after I bought a 76 442 as a project car. Thanks to everyone who helped me out answering questions, but it turned out the car needed more than my meager skills could accomplish. Accepting that I bit off more than I could chew, that car is now for sale, hopefully to someone who will bring her back off life support.

But, I managed to find a 76 Cutlass S nearby in much better shape. While its not a 442, it does have the "NASCAR" front end that attracts me to these in the first place. Not rusty, everything works, runs and shifts well. A few dings on the body but nothing major.

Thanks in advance to everyone who will be answering more of my rookie questions in the near future!

Old August 25th, 2021, 03:08 AM

nice car ,looks to be in nice shape.
did you place an ad here for your other car?
Old August 25th, 2021, 06:12 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Honestly, if someone checked off the handling package, you basically have a 442. Good part, like G bodies, you can mod the heck out of them and not have to worry about their value. Nice examples go for a couple of grand here. I bought a pretty nice 76 for $50, 15 years ago. Put some power under the hood, go cruising and enjoy.
Old August 25th, 2021, 09:38 AM
Banned

Does look clean. Good on you. Not a lot of love for some of these cars.
Old August 25th, 2021, 09:54 AM

Energy absorbing bumpers and the beginning of emissions equipment was the kiss of death for all the manufactures, but in away we could be thankful because like another poster said the values of these cars makes for some good deals on really nice drivers like this 76, maybe down on the power but still a heap of fun to drive this looks like a fine example !! I would be proud to own it.
Old August 25th, 2021, 10:43 AM
Oldsdruid

More proof, if any were needed, why the Cutlass was the most popular and best selling car in America.

And then its parent did everything in its power to destroy it. Filicide is illegal and immoral. Lord I do despise Smith and Zarella.
Old August 25th, 2021, 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the kind words, folks! I do like this car. It only has the 260 V8, and it is in good shape so I'll drive it like that for awhile, but a 350 is in its future.

Also, I did put my 442 for sale on the site here. I really wold prefer to see it go to someone who will restore it, but we'll see how it goes. Worst case scenario, I'll strip it for parts. The front end is rare enough I should probably keep it as a spare!
Old November 16th, 2021, 12:18 PM

here ya go but not sure where your located.... 403 her up !

Originally Posted by Chris Scott
So I joined this site earlier this year after I bought a 76 442 as a project car. Thanks to everyone who helped me out answering questions, but it turned out the car needed more than my meager skills could accomplish. Accepting that I bit off more than I could chew, that car is now for sale, hopefully to someone who will bring her back off life support.

But, I managed to find a 76 Cutlass S nearby in much better shape. While its not a 442, it does have the "NASCAR" front end that attracts me to these in the first place. Not rusty, everything works, runs and shifts well. A few dings on the body but nothing major.

Thanks in advance to everyone who will be answering more of my rookie questions in the near future!

Old November 16th, 2021, 03:27 PM
66 cutlass

My dad had a 76 Cutlass S, I always loved those. Took my driver's test in it in high school. It was after a snowstorm, but the Cutlass had posi and it handled the snow like nothing.
Old November 16th, 2021, 09:14 PM
GCH

Nice looking car , have not seen this model in real life here.