General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My car needs an excorcism

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2010, 08:24 PM

My car needs an excorcism

I think it must be possessed. Kind of like Christine, but instead of killing other people and fixing itself, it keeps breaking and trying to kill me. It started pulling to the right when braking so I took the left wheel off to find out why.

Luckily, I had a spare spindle with that bracket on it. Does anyone know if those are still available anywhere? After seeing this failure, I think I may want to buy a couple of new ones if they're available.
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:51 AM
Oldsdruid

Yow. First time I ever saw one of those break. My guess is it's gonna be a junkyard item unless you can find one NOS somewhere.
Old April 5th, 2010, 04:27 AM

That's something I haven't seen before either. Get a Priest and some holy water and wash the car.
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:23 AM

OUCH! Must have been some metal fatigue there - I have never seen that happen before (just like never seeing a top A-arm bolt breaking...)

Glad no damage or injuries resulted.
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Just when you think you've seen everything............thats a tough one
Old October 4th, 2010, 01:25 PM

It tried it again on Friday. I'm driving home and I notice that I'm getting drive line vibration between 30 and 40 and when braking. So I figure, no biggie, just a u-joint. Crawl under Saturday and the U-Joint is fine, it's just in the wrong place. The rear joint at the axel yoke has slid entirely to one side so that the cross is against the strap and there's less than a millimeter of the cap hanging onto the yoke and I can see daylight through the cap and the strap. Oooooooo-kay. Get that centered, throw out the torque specs from the manual and just gorilla it on there and take it for a spin. Drive line vibration is gone, but I'm getting a nice thunk-thunk-thunk when braking. Well, it's gotta be the rear since I feel nothing in the steering wheel and I'm still going straight when I stop. Pull the rear tires and find one leaky off center wheel-cylinder. The shoes look brand new and there's no glazing, so there's no telling how long it's been since this wheel has even tried to stop the car. Napa, Autozone and O-Reilly all say it's a special order to get the rear cylinders in. Only Pep-Boys has them in stock so I have to go clear across Irving to pick them up. Put it all back together and bleed the brakes, one more test drive. Stops a little better, but still getting a thunk, thunk thunk when it stops. What the hell, it's gotta be something on the front. First tire is fine, I go ahead and bleed it anyway. No problems there. Pull the second tire. Wheel cylinder is sitting ****-eyed. I look behind it and it's missing one bolt, and the other one is halfway backed out. WTF? How does a bolt that's been there for god only knows how long, and if I wanted to get loose, I'd probably have to douse with PB just back out. The one that was left had a lock washer on it, so I'm assuming the missing one did as well. Oh well. One more trip to the store to get a 1/4x20 1/2" bolt and fight it back onto there. Manged to do it with only one spring off the shoes so I didn't have to spend too much time cursing the god of drum springs. Then fight to get the damn Crager SS unilugs centered and take it for a test drive. Stops nice a straight, no more thunks. Same wheel as the picture above where the bracket tried to kill me. Just about 10,000 miles since then. At least the assassination attempts are coming farther apart now.
Old October 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM

Get a cross, have confidence in your faith in God, then repeat many times... "The power of Christ compels you!" in a firm voice in front of the car (well off to the side a bit cop style in case it decides to lunge at you). I find that works sometimes. Got to have faith though, faith is key, LOL.