General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My car goes through a quart of oil/1000 miles

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2022, 10:03 PM

My car goes through a quart of oil/1000 miles

But it runs ike a bat out of hell. Ever since I got my car back from having the head gaskets repaired, it seems like I'm going through a lot of oil, but the exhaust is completely clear and there is no oil in the coolant. The only thing I can think is the car got hot when the head gasket failed and it is leaking somewhere else. I don't see any evidence of a leak but the power steering leaks out of the gearbox so I can't tell. The only thing I know for sure is the acceleration will push you back into the seat up to 110 mph. The car has never run better. I bought 5 gallons of Rotella 15-40 and keep it topped off between oil changes. If anyone has any ideas regarding oil consumption, I would be interested in hearing what it might be.
Old July 22nd, 2022, 12:49 AM

Intake gaskets
Old July 22nd, 2022, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Intake gaskets
x2

If anything changed in valve covers or PCV configuration, I would look there too.

​​​​​​…..
Old July 22nd, 2022, 05:27 AM
Running On Empty

Add a little bottle of UV dye to your engine oil and visualize w/ a UV (black) light. Both of which you can purchase at an automotive parts store.

Old July 22nd, 2022, 05:47 AM

What led to the head gaskets needing replacement? Did it use oil before the head gasket replacement? Were the valve seals replaced when the heads were off?

As mentioned the intake gaskets are high on the list.

Good luck!!!
Old July 22nd, 2022, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
What led to the head gaskets needing replacement? Did it use oil before the head gasket replacement? Were the valve seals replaced when the heads were off?

As mentioned the intake gaskets are high on the list.

Good luck!!!
the head gasket on the driver's side failed between the middle cylinders. The heads were milled and valves tested for leaks. There is no smoke out of the tailpipes and no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. I thought intake gasket leaks would so those symptoms. It did go through about half as much oil before.
Old July 22nd, 2022, 07:11 AM

If it's not on the ground, it's going out the exhaust.
Old July 22nd, 2022, 07:18 AM

Did it overheat? Badly? Were the valve seals replaced?
Old July 22nd, 2022, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Donaldbabineau
I don't see any evidence of a leak but the power steering leaks out of the gearbox so I can't tell.
No help for your engine oil leak, but replacing the steering gear box lower seal is easy, inexpensive (around $15), and doesn't take long at all.
Old July 22nd, 2022, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
No help for your engine oil leak, but replacing the steering gear box lower seal is easy, inexpensive (around $15), and doesn't take long at all.
good to know, and it might help determine where the oil is going. The fluid blows back from the gearbox and has coated the underside of the car. There is a mess on my carport floor, but I can't tell where steering fluid ends and oil begins since it all mixes with rain runoff on the concrete pad. Now that summer is here I can clean up the pad, put down some kitty litter, and see where it's dripping onto the pad.
Old July 22nd, 2022, 07:37 PM

Do your valve covers have baffles where the PCV valve is connected?
Old July 23rd, 2022, 06:33 AM
72Cutlass S

Remove the pcv valve and crankcase breather hose from the valve covers. Plug one side with a piece of duct tape your thumb or anything that will block the hole. Cover the hole on the other valve cover with your thumb with the engine running. Hold your thumb there for 10 to 15 seconds. When you slowly remove your thumb it should puff out a little pressure. If you feel vacuum building under your thumb your intake gaskets are leaking in the lifter valley area and pulling oil into the intake manifold. You can also remove and look at the spark plugs to see if you have white ashy buildup on them. This is also a sign of oil consumption.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by gs72
Remove the pcv valve and crankcase breather hose from the valve covers. Plug one side with a piece of duct tape your thumb or anything that will block the hole. Cover the hole on the other valve cover with your thumb with the engine running. Hold your thumb there for 10 to 15 seconds. When you slowly remove your thumb it should puff out a little pressure. If you feel vacuum building under your thumb your intake gaskets are leaking in the lifter valley area and pulling oil into the intake manifold. You can also remove and look at the spark plugs to see if you have white ashy buildup on them. This is also a sign of oil consumption.
Great tip, I am going to try this on my engine. It blows blue smoke out the exhaust (intermittently) on start up. I had the intake off recently and did my best to inspect that gaskets for damage and even compression and they looked fine. Carefully reinstalled and it still burns oil at startup. I'm going to try this test before I dive into valve guides/seals.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
I had the intake off recently and did my best to inspect that gaskets for damage and even compression and they looked fine. Carefully reinstalled and it still burns oil at startup.
Are you saying you reused the intake manifold gasket?
Old July 23rd, 2022, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Donaldbabineau
I can't tell where steering fluid ends and oil begins since...
Read Post #4 again.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Are you saying you reused the intake manifold gasket?
Nooooo... Although I could have been more clear with how I worded that. The gaskets that were on there looked fine, I was thinking maybe the intake to head mating surface was not perfectly parallel and it was sucking in oil from the bottom of the runners. But the gaskets appeared to have even "squish" on them. I reinstalled with a fresh set of SCE AccuSeals, oil consumption continues. I will try the test tested above, before I turn my attention to valve guides/seals.

Old July 23rd, 2022, 02:46 PM
Running On Empty

Am I the only one confused about whose on 1st (Donaldbabineau) and what's on second (Mr. Nick)?