General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Mistery Cutlass 442

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2015, 11:06 AM

Mistery Cutlass 442

Hello all, I am new to this forum, and very impressed with its contents.

I live in Kuwait where there are quite a few US muscle cars and I have been offered to buy the car pictured attached. All I have for now is the two pictures and the fact that its gear shifter is on the column. I am supposed to meet the owner tomorrow, but I wanted to do a bit of research before going there.

So anyone can tell what it is ? My guess is 71 or 72, possibly a 442 appearance package.

What numbers and parts should I be looking at for in order to indetify and authenticate the vehicle?

Many thanks.

Valery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150913_172018-1_resized.jpg (89.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg
20150913_172055-1_resized.jpg (467.7 KB, 87 views)
Old September 20th, 2015, 11:25 AM

It looks to be a 1972 and there is no way to identify it being a 442 through the VIN unless it is a W30, so you would need documentation such as the window sticker or the build sheet.
If it is a 455 car you need to look for either a U or a V in the VIN. If you happen to find an X it would be a W30, otherwise it was an engine swap.
Old September 20th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Welcome to the site.

The front grills and tail lights say 1972. It's obviously been repainted and striped. The sport mirror on the drivers side appears to be aftermarket.

There's absolutely no wheel opening, deck lid, or rocker trim which is not the way the factory issued it. Check the VIN. If it starts out 3G87 it's a Cutlass S. If it starts out 3F87 it's a base Cutlass. As Randy pointed out the only 72 442 that can be authenticated by VIN is the W30 X code. Chances are really high the VIN will show this is an H code car from the factory. Love to see the rest of any pictures you might get.

Things like options and mileage will also play a role in pricing. Note: that spoiler on the deck lid is an add on, they never came from the factory with that in 72.
Old September 20th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site.
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:38 AM

Saw the car today. Its a piece of crap ! Wont bore you with details or photos, but overall very poor condition. Not worth pursuing.
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:58 AM
Administrator

As many are, hopefully you'll find something of interest to buy. Good luck.
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by valtalma
Saw the car today. Its a piece of crap ! Wont bore you with details or photos, but overall very poor condition. Not worth pursuing.
Sorry to hear that. From the 2 pics you posted it didn't look terrible.

Are you expanding your search to other countries? The US has a more plentiful supply of really nice turnkey cars that likely need nothing but shipping and a garage to live in.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 08:49 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Sure looks rust free from the pics. Rust free is a score around these parts. Cosmetic, mechanical and non accident cars are a plus in my small world.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:09 AM

Was the speedo in Km/h?
Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I remember in 1976 that GM dealers here sold 'overlays' for pre metric speedos at their parts department displays. Alberta had just converted the speed limits from mph to km/hr. The overlays were really inexpensive but I don't think they were meant to last long either as they seemed pretty flimsy. IIRC the km/hr were in yellow numbers and on the top of the white mph ones. Naturally that doesn't affect the odometer... I have never seen a 72 Cutlass with a metric speedometer from the factory, but would be impressed if one was out there.

I still remember my first experience with 'metric' gasoline. All the local stations were selling it for 65.9/gal and I saw one that obviously was giving a huge discount - 14.9 on the big sign!! Pulled in and filled right up. I paid more for that tank than I would have at the other stations. Note: Canadian gallon = 4.54 L