General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Missing some fairly important body bolts

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Missing some fairly important body bolts

I am missing the two body bolts that are above the doors of my 71 convertible Cutlass Supreme. In the attached picture (which I shamelessly borrowed from the internet), I highlighted the area, but I can't get a good shot of it on my own car (it is in the garage and space is VERY limited). It is behind the door and you can only see it with the door open. The bolt goes in parallel to the dash, from one side of the car towards the other.

Anyway, the bolt has a 9/16" head, but I have no clue what the length is. The body is very "floppy" with the top down and a door open and I can see movement in that bolt hole.

I know this is an odd question but does anyone know the approximate length of those bolts? I'd really like to get some and replace them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bolt_highlighted.jpg (16.7 KB, 96 views)
Old November 13th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Mark71
I am missing the two body bolts that are above the doors of my 71 convertible Cutlass Supreme. In the attached picture (which I shamelessly borrowed from the internet), I highlighted the area, but I can't get a good shot of it on my own car (it is in the garage and space is VERY limited). It is behind the door and you can only see it with the door open. The bolt goes in parallel to the dash, from one side of the car towards the other.

Anyway, the bolt has a 9/16" head, but I have no clue what the length is. The body is very "floppy" with the top down and a door open and I can see movement in that bolt hole.

I know this is an odd question but does anyone know the approximate length of those bolts? I'd really like to get some and replace them.

I can't answer the length question ( I suspect it's probably about 1 1/4" or so. I measured from bolt head to where the shims touch the car and that was less than 1") but this is the one you're looking for? I just went to the garage and took this pic of my car.
Attached Images
IMG_1961.jpg (41.5 KB, 86 views)
Old November 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM

OK, I've got coffee cans full of bolts but I don't always remember what came from where I believe it's the same bolt that is used on the fender to firewall, about 1 1/4" long and tapered at the end. Fine(?), not coarse threads. But I've got a cowl I cut off a parts car and looked inside at the big square nut that's welded on the inside. You could probably have a longer bolt without a problem. The key would be long enough to allow room for shims to align the door. Try inserting a small screwdriver into the hole and you'll find it doesn't have a bottom but is open into the pillar. John
Old November 13th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I believe it's the same bolt that is used on the fender to firewall, about 1 1/4" long and tapered at the end. Fine(?), not coarse threads.
That's what I thought too John, I did measure the length from the inside of the bolt head through the fender ear, and the body shims and found it to be about 3/4". So a 1 1/4 inch fine thread bolt would likely have about 5 or more thread into that nut - more than enough to hold it when tightened. I believe you can buy them new at most autoparts or bodysupply stores relatively cheap.
Old November 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM

Pics below represent what I typically see. You likely need the bolt on the L in the pics...slightly larger washer. Regular machine threads....not fine threads.
Attached Images
IMG_3559.JPG (60.8 KB, 17 views)
IMG_3560.JPG (63.3 KB, 17 views)
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM

Repro places like Fusick have them. They will be 3/8 x 16 thread, grade 5. Fusick offers a kit with shims and various bols, FMK682 for 68-72 Olds.
Old November 14th, 2011, 11:26 AM

Wow! Thanks so much for the info, guys! I am going to try to pick some up locally and get that kit from Fusick with my next order from them. The body is very floppy since both are missing and the car has no roof when the top is down.

@Allan - thanks for taking the pic... That's exactly the bolt I was looking for!
@70Post - I need to start organizing my Olds parts like that.