General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Met Jim Wangers Last Week

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2009, 01:39 PM
"me somebody" site member

Met Jim Wangers Last Week (and on update, also Paul Zazarine's passing)

Last Saturday (Oct. 17th), I was in San Diego on vacation, and by chance found out about an event held in nearby Oceanside, CA where Jim Wangers stores his cars. Apparently once a year, he opens his garage to the public and invites Pontiac owners to show their cars. This year, he opened the event up to all performance makes/models. This year's event included the unveiling of a new "Jim Wangers Edition" 69 Judge with many modern upgrades, which was driven out of a garage bay (with full "smoke machine" effect added) by non other than the man himself (at age 83, I do have to admit I admired the bravery exhibited by those who stood in front of the car to take pics as he did; I stood more to the side). All kidding aside, I mean no disrepect there, and though I did think that, he handled the (680 HP 505 CI / Tremec 6 speed) car fine.

Anyway, was a cool event, and Mr. Wangers was very gracious, going out of his way to meet an greet each person who approached him. Though not Olds-related, I did take pics of the one Olds that showed up (a '67 Cutlass), as well as the one Olds-powered Pontiac that showed up (a 403 powered CA edition '77 Can-Am). Another cool thing was that artist Art Fitzpatrick, of "Fitz and Van" (VK) Pontiac Ad fame was there as well. Notable Ponchos Wangers owned were '69, '79, '89 and '99 TAs, a '67 GTO Tiger, and a '69 Hurst GP.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; January 4th, 2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old October 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Past Administrator

Nice looking Cutlass in the 6th and 7th pictures.
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Senior Moment Member

I once met Don Garlits at a meet at Route 66 Raceway in Joliet Illinois. A normal guy. I had half expected someone more aloof. I mean, the guy is a legend. Just like Wangers. That must've been one great day. Lucky you. I just commented to the wife we need to move where it's warm and clean year round. I envy you.
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Banned

i met him at bristol back in '01,very nice guy.
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Met Jim when I lived in SoCal. He really liked my 61 Catalina and was instrumental in getting it Pontiac Enthusiast magazine. My 15 minutes of fame.

img054.jpg
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Related to this, I read last night that Paul Zazarine, an automotive journalist and sometimes collaborator w/ Jim Wangers passed away yestersay; the news was relayed via Wangers himself on a Pontiac board.

I have an old (March 1982) issue of Car Exchange magazine that had a cover story on the 61-66 Olds Starfires which contains a letter to the editor from Mr. Zazarine that I've always assumed represented one of his earliest efforts to make it into print.

Subsequent to hearing of Mr. Zazarine's passing, I did a related search on Mr. Wangers and discovered that many of the cars I saw at the end of 2009 have since been sold (and those that haven't sold are for sale). I'm glad I had the chance to meet Mr. W and see his collection when I did.
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Hangin' out...

I met him in 2009 at Pontiac Heaven. He thought my LeMans was a GTO! Very nice guy and it was an honor to meet him.
Old January 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM

My favorite quote from Jim Wangers appeared in Nov 66 Hot Rod, in their discussion of the 9/66 NHRA Nationals where the 66 442 W30 appeared.
"The apparent move to make a GTO-competitive automibile may well have been a surprise to Pontiac. This company's advertising/idea-man Jim Wangers. . .related, 'We put a few battery boxes in trunks to make race cars several years ago. Looks like we might just have to do it again.'"
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:08 PM

So, is that 505 engine a bbc or a poncho? If it's a cheb, hope you and others kicked him in the nads
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
My favorite quote from Jim Wangers appeared in Nov 66 Hot Rod, in their discussion of the 9/66 NHRA Nationals where the 66 442 W30 appeared.
"The apparent move to make a GTO-competitive automibile may well have been a surprise to Pontiac. This company's advertising/idea-man Jim Wangers. . .related, 'We put a few battery boxes in trunks to make race cars several years ago. Looks like we might just have to do it again.'"
I gather you are aware of where the battery was mounted in the '63 Super-Duty Tempests? Anyway, in Jim Wangers Book "Glory Days", I recall reading that in the mid 60s, Pontiac's biggest concern in terms of competition for market share was the 442, which they felt was the most likely car that someone looking to buy a GTO might consider instead.

Originally Posted by mike's88
So, is that 505 engine a bbc or a poncho?
The engine in the car was a Butler Performance 505 Stroker Pontiac Motor.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; January 4th, 2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:48 PM

COOL STORY and GREAT pics of that Gold '67 Cutlass that I notice is sporting 'KANSAS Antique License Plates!' He's got to be a fellow "Jay-Hawker" or "WildCat" Man for sure!