General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Maybe loving a dying breed is not a bad thing.

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Maybe loving a dying breed is not a bad thing.

So today attended the Corvette show at Carlise. I must say, I was some what surprised how much the C7's dominated the attendance. I was even more sueprised at how many were getting new performance exhaust. The other generations had representations, just not in any numbers close to the most recent generation.

It started me thinking if Oldsmobile was still around, I wonder if the shows would be similar, or is it just a model thing.

For the record, I pretty sure I was the only one there with a 442 hat on.
Old August 27th, 2016, 04:59 PM

I attended Corvettes at Carlisle a number of times several years back (mid 90's) I was in aw of all of the pre 1982 back to 53 in attendance. We owned four 9one at a time) including a very nice 67 small block roadster. Even the auction was stacked with mid years and that was a show by itself. But times change, with a much higher price per unit needed by GM, technology began to leap out of control. Everybody wants the latest model, just drop a large check. Lets just say I am very very happy with my 66 Cutlass Vert.
Wayne
Old August 27th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

I agree, technology has changed the hobby as have other things. It was eye opening for me.

Now don't get me wrong the C7 is an awesome car. If I had enough money and garage space, I would have one in one of the stalls. Of course, I would have a 67 427 there next to it. There would also be a few 442s, and a 58 vert with a J2.
Old August 27th, 2016, 06:21 PM

Part of the reason for the abundance might be the cost of a vintage vette, a new C7 can be had for the price of a mid series small block, the big block mid series are well over $100k, and I would think that getting a new Vette for about $65k starts to weigh on the choice as the costs of the old ones go up, and the daily drive ability with it's worries go up as well. It would be easy to jump into a new one for the money and have a car that excels very well on the street with all of the creature comforts. I plopped into the seat of a C7 at the Detroit auto show, and man it fit like a glove.
Old August 27th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Randy C.

I'm not a big fan of the new C7 model but we (wife and me) do like the C6 Z06 from about 2008 through 2010 - would like to have one of those someday. But in the meantime, our two Oldsmobiles ('68 4-4-2 vert, '69 4-4-2 vert) and, yes, the old '71 Corvette coupe base engine automatic, are perfect for us! And, finally, the early C3s are starting to gain some recognition, even if they do have the base engine!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0725150939.jpg (798.5 KB, 11 views)
0820161327a.jpg (1.83 MB, 11 views)
0727122010.jpg (794.1 KB, 12 views)
Old August 28th, 2016, 05:22 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Part of the reason for the abundance might be the cost of a vintage vette, a new C7 can be had for the price of a mid series small block, the big block mid series are well over $100k, and I would think that getting a new Vette for about $65k starts to weigh on the choice as the costs of the old ones go up, and the daily drive ability with it's worries go up as well. It would be easy to jump into a new one for the money and have a car that excels very well on the street with all of the creature comforts. I plopped into the seat of a C7 at the Detroit auto show, and man it fit like a glove.
I agree and the wife and I had the same discussion. She would take one in a minute. I am more old school than her, I still love the rumple of the old V8's and I always snap my neck around to see what is making that sound or roll down the window on a hot summer day just to hear one leave from a stop light or drive by.

However, even restoring a 442, you are approaching the price of an used C7 if you are buying the project and cannot do everything yourself.

And then you have parts availability when you are out and about.
Old August 28th, 2016, 05:36 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
I'm not a big fan of the new C7 model but we (wife and me) do like the C6 Z06 from about 2008 through 2010 - would like to have one of those someday. But in the meantime, our two Oldsmobiles ('68 4-4-2 vert, '69 4-4-2 vert) and, yes, the old '71 Corvette coupe base engine automatic, are perfect for us! And, finally, the early C3s are starting to gain some recognition, even if they do have the base engine!

Randy C.
What a great garage! I know the Olds have back stories , what about the C3? We only have my project, the 70 442, and my sons 76 L82 (why we came) in the garage. Neither have a back story, just we always wanted one.

The three of us prefer the C7 over the C6, but all three are not in love with the back end. The engineers discussion said the C7 acceptance tripled the expectations, and the are running against capacity constraints.

Yes, the early C3s are starting to get some love, particularly if they are LT1s. Which brings us back to the discussion of why loving a dying bread isn't a bad thing. The brand is dead as it not making anymore, but may least we do not have to worry about the new models getting all the attention.
Old August 28th, 2016, 06:39 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

I faced this dilemma a few years back when I was restoring trucks. the 1987-91 ford 'brick nose' was hands down the best truck ever built on this planet - price, durability, ease of mods, features etc. Yet CFC destroyed the population and the shows are all $60000 new junk.

I think the specialty shows are an endangered species, I talked to Tim Demark at ATN this summer about the viability of future shows and he remarked that they have not cancelled GM, which as many pointed out, is a Chevelle/Camaro meet and greet, so the brand specific shows are safe for now....but perhaps it does pay to combine them.

Of note, before saturday evening I did see 2 vettes on trailers heading west so either people got disgusted and pulled up early, or 2 project cars were purchased...
Old August 28th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Randy C.

"What a great garage! I know the Olds have back stories , what about the C3? We only have my project, the 70 442, and my sons 76 L82 (why we came) in the garage. Neither have a back story, just we always wanted one."

The only back story on the '71 base engine automatic is that I bought it from a fellow Coast Guardsman in Alameda, CA, in 1978. It had been modified somewhat but kept the original engine and transmission. Over the years, I converted it back to all stock, with factory-correct parts that had date codes consistent with the build date of the car. Fun to drive, hard to see out of, especially on the quarters. It does have A/C and power windows, along with something that completely surprised me - a 3.36:1 differential - which makes it pretty snappy for a base engine car!

But the two 4-4-2 cars are my favorites!

Randy C.

Last edited by rcorrigan5; August 28th, 2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: quotes
Old August 28th, 2016, 10:23 AM

My old man has a red with black interior 71 C3 vette, four speed, convertible, manual everything, base engine that he has had forever. He bought it 6 months old, used, from a guy getting posted to Korea while he was doing dentistry for the Air Force in Little Rock. He had to live with some pilots, so he bought the corvette and a Triumph bike on the same day to fit in. Sold the motorcycle, still has the corvette.

They are impractical as all hell, long, and just engine. Fun, though.

Something that is worth noting is that the Corvette has been around since 53 and has stayed, so it has more sticking power. The Camaros, 442s, GTOs, etc have come and gone. Some of the spirit is still there. I rode in a Buick Regal GS Turbo recently, and it seems like a good embodiment of some nice features and power like the Olds performance line had.