General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Many 69 442 questions

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2019 | 02:11 PM

Many 69 442 questions

I wasn't sure weather to put this in one thread or a few.

1. Bucket seats. The drivers needs a rebuild. But I was wondering. The wife had medical problems that make it difficult getting in and out of cars. My question is, could I raise the seats, say 2 inches. Could I put a block of some sort between the floor and frame at he mounting points.

2. The air conditioner needs new seals through out. The Freon leaks out. Can anyone tell me where to get a set. I have been looking but to no avail.

3. The dash has an empty spot on the right hand side, next to the speedometer. Can a tach be fitted there, and if so whats the best one and how do I do it.

Thanks for the help.
Old July 5th, 2019 | 08:20 PM

As long as the blocks are sturdy, I don’t see why it couldn’t be done. Maybe some square tubing across the mounting studs, with new studs for the seat on the top.

Go go to a well stocked NAPA or A/C repair shop with all the old o-rings, the will be able to match them up. Make sure they are compatible with 134A refrigerant. You will need to replace or recalibrate your POA valve. Replace the oil with 134A (I can’t remember what it’s called) get the oil with the fluorescent dye. If you do have a leak, the dye will make it much easier to find the leak. Depending on the condition of the hoses, those might need replaced. Evacuate the system, recharge, enjoy!!

the 3.5 inch tachs fit in the dummy hole pretty well. It was and still is a very common modification. Done carefully, it doesn’t change anything that couldn’t easily be replaced or swapped back to original
Old July 6th, 2019 | 03:52 AM

I have the black face one for sale, the white one is sold, $25.00 plus the ride. This is a 4 wire tach

Let me know, Thanks
Old July 6th, 2019 | 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by toymobile

I have the black face one for sale, the white one is sold, $25.00 plus the ride. This is a 4 wire tach

Let me know, Thanks
either one of those tachs will slide in the dash from the front. I have seen some without the chrome trim ring, in my opinion the look and fit better. I think that was one of the first things people did to their cars when the got them back in when they were new or fairly new purchase