General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

manual question

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2011, 09:22 PM

manual question

I'm having trouble downloading from the wildaboutcars.com site. When I click on a manual the chapter list comes up but with no clickable link to download anything. I know some of you guys are familiar with the site any help will be greatly appreciated. Yes I registered
Old December 31st, 2011, 05:11 AM

Interesting.

The site has been changed. I don't see any manual that you can even view, let alone download, except for the cover of the manual in question. It wasn't this way a short while ago.

There's also a warning there now against copying the manual with an address where to get a CD version of it.

Maybe the site ran into copyright issues and had to go this way. Or maybe they're just in the middle of doing some kind of changeover to a new viewing format.

If you want a manual for anything other than a quick glimpse at something, you really ought to pony up the cash and get a paper copy. These are for sale all the time on ebay, and nothing beats having a manual open to the correct page sitting right there in front of you when you're working under the hood or wherever. I have both the chassis and body manuals for my '67 and my '73, and I'm looking in them ALL the time. Aside from tools, they're the best investment you can make in your old Oldsmobile.
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yup. Links are gone.

Drat.

I had downloaded a lot of it, but I hadn't gotten it all yet .

- Eric
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:45 AM
Trying to remember member

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated....."

No problem, guys. It's still there and working again. We were doing some programming changes and that caused the temp outage.

I know this is a really far out idea, but when you have a problem with the site, you might try getting ahold of of one of us. We are there to help!

And trust me, WAC and what is being done there is here to stay. That is one of the basic reasons the site was formed to begin with. Not only is all this material being gathered and made available, careful thought and planning has been done to preserve it too. It will be there long after we are all gone.
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:48 AM

Cool! It would have been sad to see this go away.
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by wmachine
It's still there and working again. We were doing some programming changes and that caused the temp outage.
That's a relief!

... when you have a problem with the site, you might try getting ahold of of one of us.
Revolutionary concept! I guess we all get so used to things on the web being "here today, gone tomorrow," that when something seems to be taken down, we assume the worst.
Sorry for contributing to it.

It will be there long after we are all gone.
Which we all hope will be a long time, indeed!

Happy New Year!

- Eric
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:08 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Ditto What Kurt said: WAC is well funded and will be around for a long time. It is even set up so that if the current crop of worker bees were to be hit by a bus, it would continue on.

That being said, one of the key aspects of the site is contributions of materials by members. No mater how many people there were who "worked" at WAC, we will always need more people to accomplish our aims than that.

Please consider "contributing" a digital copy of materials you may have to the website. We will list you as the donor. This past week, one of the members contributed 1961 and 1962 Chassis Service manuals in digital format and the 1962 Parts Book (we still have to load it). This is what will make the site grow.

So consider, if you have something (it doesn't have to be Olds related either), contact Kurt oldsbrands@wildaboutcars.com.

Thanks.
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:41 AM

Thanks again to Kurt and all of those involved with WAC. Always good and interesting articles.
Old January 1st, 2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by jrzybob442
Ditto What Kurt said: WAC is well funded and will be around for a long time. It is even set up so that if the current crop of worker bees were to be hit by a bus, it would continue on.

That being said, one of the key aspects of the site is contributions of materials by members. No mater how many people there were who "worked" at WAC, we will always need more people to accomplish our aims than that.

Please consider "contributing" a digital copy of materials you may have to the website. We will list you as the donor. This past week, one of the members contributed 1961 and 1962 Chassis Service manuals in digital format and the 1962 Parts Book (we still have to load it). This is what will make the site grow.
Thanks.
I may be wrong, but thought the Parts Book was 1961, not '62?
Old January 1st, 2012, 05:57 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
I may be wrong, but thought the Parts Book was 1961, not '62?
Yes, indeed it is the 1961 edition.

And let me tell you all that Dave should know, because he is the one that supplied it! Along with the '61-'62 Chassis Service Manuals. And that was especially significant, because it was in digital form saving a lot of work converting it to digital. This will be on the site soon, now.
A big "thanks" goes out to Dave!!!
Old January 1st, 2012, 06:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

No problem, guys. It's still there and working again. We were doing some programming changes and that caused the temp outage..
Suggestions.

When programming changes or server mtce affects the WAC site, would it be possible to have a pop up advising that information may not be available until (pick a time / date). That would also alert newbies or casual visitors that information that's normally available isn't at this time.....check back in a few hours??

Maybe something else to think about. I know my internet provider always sends emails when there's a planned mtce that will affect my use. Most of the time the mtce is done in the wee small hours and it doesn't affect anyone. WAC members provide their email contacts so they can recieve the monthly newsletter....maybe a quick note to say the site will be partially unavailable for a specified time?

Not trying to stir the pot, just some things I believe would be in everyone's best interests. I'm glad to see there are quite a few folks who did miss the links....

Thanks Kurt and Bob for the great followup on this issue.