General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Losing sleep!

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2013 | 07:10 AM

Losing sleep!

I have a problem with my build that will not stop nagging me. The car has been in the body shop for close to a month now and I got a little in a rush to get the engine and transmission back in the car before it left. Just a few details......350 engine rebuilt with a Turbo 350 transmission. New TCI 1800-2000 stall converter. I thought converter was properly engaged in the pump. When I was mating the engine to the transmission there was a POP as I tightened the bell housing bolts and when I tried to spin the engine to line up the torque converter bolts it was locked up I separated the engine and transmission and could not see any visible problem. I realigned the torque converter and bolted the transmission back up and everything was fine. Engine spun over and bolted up the torque convertor. I have not started the engine yet. One of the things I noticed when I took it back apart is that there was up and down play in the torque convertor on the input shaft of the trans. Is this normal? You guys have any ideas on what happened.
Old June 23rd, 2013 | 07:27 AM
Administrator

This is a tuff call since we can't get an eyeball on it. There may be a small amount of play in the mating of the torque converter to the front shaft due to clearances. The pop is a concern, however you won't know what's going on until you start the engine and engage the trans.
Old June 23rd, 2013 | 07:46 AM

Sounds like converter tangs were not correctly aligned to trans at first. Or maybe converter pilot protrusion not wiggled into the crank recess just right?

You should be able to bring trans all the way up to the engine w/o drawing it up with the bolts. At that point the converter should spin more or less freely with engine not turning.
Old June 23rd, 2013 | 10:14 AM
Justin

I would pull and make sure the pump isn't damaged ! If you did brake the tangs off in the pump from converter not being seated properly you can replace pump and move on . if you start and run and In fact did brake it you will have to tear down and clean all the metal out of the entire trans !!
I would pull and check pump before starting to be safe
Old June 23rd, 2013 | 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
I would pull and make sure the pump isn't damaged ! If you did brake the tangs off in the pump from converter not being seated properly you can replace pump and move on . if you start and run and In fact did brake it you will have to tear down and clean all the metal out of the entire trans !!
I would pull and check pump before starting to be safe
I've been kind of thinking the same thing. I probably would have done it the day it happened if 1 I had not been in a hurry and 2 I am not a transmission expert. Does the pump simply unbolt and pull out or is there more to it.
Old June 23rd, 2013 | 02:02 PM
Justin

In theroy it is just a bolt in I ve only rebuilt one trans it was a 4l60e and I only had like 50k and it burned up again so I had a shop rebuild it recently . So I would have a shop do it I bet it would be less then 200.00 maybe you can post location and some body could help if there near you
Old June 23rd, 2013 | 03:16 PM

I agree with Joe on this one. I'd pull it apart and search for ANYTHING that looks or feels wrong. It is easier to do it now before you tighten everything and fill the trans. The converter seems to "seat" itself by you turning the converter and pushing it towards the back tailshaft. While doing this, you should feel it "drop" into place. Only then should you raise the trans and mate the bellhousing to the block. Like the others are saying, you should be able to spin the converter rather easily to align it to the flywheel. Checking it before you button it up is an insurance policy that is "free". If you don't, you will REALLY LOSE SLEEP wondering if it is damaged!
Old June 23rd, 2013 | 04:02 PM
Justin

He mentioned that he heard a "pop" while bolting to block and that the converter was locked up! this is why I would think that the pump is broke like I said pull check it and if the tangs are there your golden seat converter reinstall if there broke fix pump and if you start it up and it's broke you will throw metal threw the whole trans and need a complete tear down to clean