General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Looking for input

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2021, 08:57 AM

Looking for input

So it’s happened yet again. Answer an ad for parts wanted. Quote a price and get a yes I’m interested. Head out to the storage which isn’t at home and get several photos to confirm it’s what is needed. Yep, he wants it. Now use my off day to pull the part off and ready to package. At least before I wasted any more time on this, required a deposit to build a box and get a shipper. Boop, yeah I guess I don’t need it, I’m going to rework what I have. So my question becomes short of just hoarding parts and not bothering to make parts available anymore, would you as a buyer be pissy if I required a deposit before ever pulling parts off a car if you green light you want it? I already waste a shitload of time with tire kickers with nos parts guys swear on a stack of bibles they want, then don’t. But at least I’m not on my back removing 30-60 year old parts carefully to find out now I need to find a place to store it or reattach it to the fricking car.
Old August 24th, 2021, 09:00 AM

I would think that asking for a deposit prior to removal is a reasonable request.
Steve
Old August 24th, 2021, 09:04 AM

Well I can only speak for myself obviously...but I do my research up front and know the market, the pricing, the vendors/brands and etc. before I engage someone to buy something. If I get to the point where I tell someone I want the part....I am going to buy it. I would not be opposed to a reasonable deposit after we negotiated the pricing, condition, and availability of the part. It will certainly weed out those who are truly interested. I follow this same model on Craigs List where I buy and sell tons of items. Hope that helps!

Old August 24th, 2021, 09:11 AM

This is why garage looks like it does. I despise selling stuff.
Old August 24th, 2021, 09:47 AM

I've dealt with scammers on both sides of the football. So no, I have no problem sending a deposit if asked, and no, I'm not entertaining the shipping anything if I don't know you until you at least put a deposit down for earnest money, and you pay in full before I ship. Deposit happens, **** gets boxed. Full payment, **** gets shipped. Pretty simple. Trust but verify.

If it's someone you've dealt with and they're a straight shooter, then by all means, it's worth it for repeat business. I've shipped stuff to people before they've even paid because I know they needed it yesterday and I know they're good for it. It's always a risk, but with good people, the risk is way lower. Besides, there's not that many Oldsmobile parts bridges left to burn so it won't take long until you can't buy/sell any parts.
Old August 24th, 2021, 03:42 PM
72 Olds CS

this is why those craiglist ads say

Ask your mother, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, if you can buy this before contacting me
Old August 25th, 2021, 03:45 AM

That is funny but true for many.....Lol
Old August 28th, 2021, 01:41 AM

A deposit seems reasonable especially with someone you've never dealt with before.
Old August 28th, 2021, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Those are the hoops you have to jump through to do business. Your going to have a percentage of flakey people to deal with.
Old August 28th, 2021, 07:32 AM
Oldsdruid

Same here. I've had parts that people asked for on here, but even though I could have cleaned out some stuff and made a little money, just too much aggravation esp on large items that would have been expensive to box properly and ship.
Old August 29th, 2021, 06:03 PM

I have a plethora of 62 Starfire parts and have sold some of them. I have found that getting paid up front first and then sending the part works best for me. I only take personal checks unless the buyer is willin to pay the money transfer fee. I to got tired of the dances that some people would put me through for a 25 dollar part. I've never had any problems doing business this way.
Old August 29th, 2021, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fleming442
This is why garage looks like it does. I despise selling stuff.
Amen. I get so sick and tired of the people in today's world. Respect? Do people know what that means these days?? I hesitate Ever posting an ad. I would rather sell to someone I already know for cheaper. This world the amount of BS is just unreal.