General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Repop parts- Why don't they ever fit right?

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM

Repop parts- Why don't they ever fit right?

I have purchased so many re-pop parts that are such garbage. How do these companies get away with pushing off parts that don't fit, break prematurely and are just general incorrect in form, fit and function?

I just received some interior parts from a company who shall remain nameless. I delivered them to my interior guy a couple of weeks ago. I called him today and asked him how the car was coming and he said "good, but those windlaces that you gave me are not for your car, they are for a Post coupe". Well, I checked the catalog and it says the part fits all models. I went over after work and looked closely at the parts and sure enough that don't look like they will work on any Cutlass I have ever owned.
This has happened over the years with various companies and parts. With the exception of parts that deteriorate, I would rather have NOS or good used stuff. I cringe every time I order re-pop parts and think when I open the box "man I hope this stuff fits!". For me it has been a long list of ill fitting parts for my car. It really takes the fun out of trying to restore a car and is a huge hassle to deal with returning the "merchandise".
I know I have read on this website where others have had problems, how do you deal with these headaches?
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Why remain nameless? If you KNOW for sure they have potential issues, share the name of the vendor providing crappy parts for most likely a premium price. It's not like you're doing anyone a favor by witholding information that can suck in another woeful victim. You'll be just as guilty as the guy pulling the trigger...jmo
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Why remain nameless? If you KNOW for sure they have potential issues, share the name of the vendor providing crappy parts for most likely a premium price. It's not like you're doing anyone a favor by witholding information that can suck in another woeful victim. You'll be just as guilty as the guy pulling the trigger...jmo
This company has a good reputation, and I haven't contacted them to see if they will "make it right". I don't think it is that they are a bad supplier, just that this part is sub par and miss-represented (happens all the time when I order this stuff).

I will tell you one company that sold me garbage parts- BAP. Don't buy anything from them, unless you just like to throw your money away. I am not sure how they stay in business, but I know that they "maintain" the other website which is "3 numbers.com"- you get to guess which three numbers!

What can we do as consumers before we buy the parts to insure they are decent? I always follow what other people say on here and try to steer clear of the problematic parts suppliers.

Last edited by sixty9olds; September 11th, 2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Changed BOP to BAP
Old September 11th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Administrator

I'm not sticking up for the re-pop vendors, but new, the form and fit of parts for these cars were sub-par.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:03 PM

I have had the same issues with most repops. Does not matter how simple they are. If there are 2 holes, then for sure they will not line up.
You mean BAP? That sounds about right for them. I learned my lesson early on with them.

Most of the repop crap I end up modifying to fit, if it is possible. I look to see how much time it would take to modify, vs complaining, reboxing, sending back, waiting forever, ordering from another place, only to have them fit the same...
My guess is they do not do well at telling their offshore producer exactly how to make them. The issue is found after they are told to make a thousand of them and they sunk too much $ into them to recover. They then sell it to others in hope they mod them and move on...
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:13 PM
wait.... what....

I just did a little write up and pic documentation on a repo trunk emblem that didn't fit properly in my build thread in the build section. I could have sent it back, but from what i was hearing i was likely to get the same part from any other vendor, so i decided i would modify it to make it work, and it now fits. I figured $36. and a little work was a little better than $75.-$100. for an NOS one.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:15 PM

I've bought a fair amount of repop parts and although they don't fit 100% perfectly without a slight modification, I've had no problems with them. I've never received any parts that were so far out to lunch that I couldn't do anything with them.

I always fit them first, just in case. And by the time the car is ready, the parts do fit perfectly.

Last edited by Olds_71_442; September 11th, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sixty9olds
This company has a good reputation, and I haven't contacted them to see if they will "make it right". I don't think it is that they are a bad supplier, just that this part is sub par and miss-represented (happens all the time when I order this stuff).
Well not to be rude or anything, but why aren't you trying to resolve this with them before you comment? If they won't make it right, then you have every right to be upset and spread their name around. I always give them that opportunity when there's been a foul up. I will still let others know the +'s and -s of the deal after the fact though.

I will tell you one company that sold me garbage parts- BOP.
We pretty much all agree on that. Been there and been bitten too.

What can we do as consumers before we buy the parts to insure they are decent? I always follow what other people say on here and try to steer clear of the problematic parts suppliers.
Sadly, not much. For instance I bought what were supposed to be period correct rad hoses for my car. The image in Fusick catalogue is different from the hose stampings I got, and they don't match the OEM hose stampings of the ones on the car. I brought that to their attention, but they weren't really interested in my comment. Does that affect my impression of them? Heck yes! Will I recommend them? Not as highly. Even Parts Place who normally would be a good supplier has been providing less than stellar customer service. The only company I've found in the last year that actually has GREAT customer service, parts and shipping is In Line Tube.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:56 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Before you order ask if it’s off shore crap or USA made. You'd be surprised how many American muscle car parts are made in China, Taiwan, etc...Sorry I can’t put that junk in my restorations...period! I will pay double to re-chrome/repaint an original part if it’s not available NOS or good used. Sometimes offshore is the only thing available. But that’s an exception and I feel good that I at least try first. My customers will agree. I have many reasons for this mind set, mainly I don’t enjoy paying a premium price for junk. It’s my rep on the line. Sometimes the vendors carry both on and offshore. But for some reason they think they must push the offshore garbage first because they think we will shy away from the USA part because its $10 more. I diligently ferret out USA parts. Gas tanks are a prime example. Most repro houses supply only offshore tanks due to attractive low price, bulk buying & shipping price breaks. I had to search but using my vette knowledge I contacted that repro manufacture directly and sure enough they make many repop tanks to high OEM standard, look & spec...and it’s from Canada. I'm definitely ok with Canada. That’s what our American iron deserves not offshore.
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Well not to be rude or anything, but why aren't you trying to resolve this with them before you comment? If they won't make it right, then you have every right to be upset and spread their name around. I always give them that opportunity when there's been a foul up. I will still let others know the +'s and -s of the deal after the fact though.
Allan,
I won't take your comment as being rude, I was just stating a fact of the latest incident I encountered.
I have also stated that I have had problems with multiple vendors and I have headed the warnings of others. I always give the company an opportunity to make it right. Maybe I'm old fashioned in that way. This was not started as a thread to trash the aftermarket parts companies. I just feel like a part should fit right and shouldn't have to be adjust, ground, or pounded on to fit. I feel we deserve good parts to put on our cars, we spend good money for the parts and there should be an inherent quality with those parts. I like to fix up cars as a hobby, not because I like to call someone up and state my case about the quality of some part that they claim fits my car.
If I'm lucky they will take the part back and refund my money. Will they change the part or the description of the part after I complain? I doubt it. To me, to really make it right would be to redesign or fabricate the part so it will fit correctly, so that when another fellow Oldsmobile enthusiast orders the part, they won't encounter the same problem that I did.

Lady-
Yes, I meant BAP not BOP-thanks for catching that.
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Before you order ask if it’s off shore crap or USA made. You'd be surprised how many American muscle car parts are made in China, Taiwan, etc.
I know you speak the truth about offshore. It's how most companies make their money now. Produce cheap, and I mean CHEAP quality at offshore cheap costs to max profit margins. See it all too often.

... I had to search but using my vette knowledge I contacted that repro manufacture directly and sure enough they make many repop tanks to high OEM standard, look & spec...and it’s from Canada. I'm definitely ok with Canada. That’s what our American iron deserves not offshore.
Sounds like Spectra Premium to me. Only thing wrong with Canadian made parts is they cost so much up here in Canada. I know about gas tanks. The same GM34R Spectra tank you buy in the USA for 179 costs 397 up here. I don't know how that gets justified one way or another because it still has to be shipped to the US from Canada in the first place. Anyway - it's a good solid quality tank - I just got one a while back. Even comes with a new rubber gasket and locking ring for the sender.
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:50 PM

Before you order ask if it’s off shore crap or USA made. You'd be surprised how many American muscle car parts are made in China, Taiwan, etc...Sorry I can’t put that junk in my restorations...period! I will pay double to re-chrome/repaint an original part if it’s not available NOS or good used. Sometimes offshore is the only thing available. But that’s an exception and I feel good that I at least try first. My customers will agree. I have many reasons for this mind set, mainly I don’t enjoy paying a premium price for junk. It’s my rep on the line. Sometimes the vendors carry both on and offshore. But for some reason they think they must push the offshore garbage first because they think we will shy away from the USA part because its $10 more. I diligently ferret out USA parts. Gas tanks are a prime example. Most repro houses supply only offshore tanks due to attractive low price, bulk buying & shipping price breaks. I had to search but using my vette knowledge I contacted that repro manufacture directly and sure enough they make many repop tanks to high OEM standard, look & spec...and it’s from Canada. I'm definitely ok with Canada. That’s what our American iron deserves not offshore.
I agree whole heatedly, these parts have Made in America tags on them. I guess the whole issue is I'm really turned off with the quality of re-pop parts. Like i said, it's a hobby, not a job to fix up an old car. When you spend a lot of time trying to resolve a part issue on the phone, it starts to become like a job, without getting paid....
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:21 PM

I guess the whole issue is I'm really turned off with the quality of re-pop parts.
I agree 100% and I feel the same way. The engineering is horrible. If you want to see how bad it gets, buy some repop 442 grilles.
But when they already have 1000 units that are not quite right, they are not going to want to do it all again and scrap the bad ones. If they did the part would cost 2x the price. Maybe this is why some repop parts are priced astronomically!
I just keep wishing the engineers would get it right the first time.
Wishful thinking..........
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:21 AM

Before you order ask if it’s off shore crap or USA made. You'd be surprised how many American muscle car parts are made in China, Taiwan, etc...Sorry I can’t put that junk in my restorations...period!
i don't mean to turn this political but the reason all the chrome parts are made over the pond is because the EPA has regulated the chroming processes and it is so high now that a reproduction bumper would be 2 times the price if made in the USA. It would be better quality but most people are not going to pay that. China could car less about our regulations and gladly take our business since we are so silly with our regulations. for a high end restoration i would stay with as much USA as possible also but a local show and go/driver and depending on what parts i would go with the cheep stuff.
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:42 AM

Quote from Allan R...''Sadly, not much. For instance I bought what were supposed to be period correct rad hoses for my car. The image in Fusick catalogue is different from the hose stampings I got, and they don't match the OEM hose stampings of the ones on the car. I brought that to their attention, but they weren't really interested in my comment.'' (That wouldn't have been Dave Jackson by any chance?)
As already stated, even NOS parts had fitment problems. It's just part of the process.You pay your money and you take your chances!
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bunser
Quote from Allan R...''Sadly, not much. For instance I bought what were supposed to be period correct rad hoses for my car. The image in Fusick catalogue is different from the hose stampings I got, and they don't match the OEM hose stampings of the ones on the car. I brought that to their attention, but they weren't really interested in my comment.'' (That wouldn't have been Dave Jackson by any chance?)
As already stated, even NOS parts had fitment problems. It's just part of the process.You pay your money and you take your chances!
Yes it was. Even though OEM is the best option for replacement it's a given that the tooling and production back then didn't get anywhere close to the more precise tolerances we see in today's vehicles.
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:47 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

You can still find very capable chrome shops here that are happy to re-plate your original iron.
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Yes it was. Even though OEM is the best option for replacement it's a given that the tooling and production back then didn't get anywhere close to the more precise tolerances we see in today's vehicles.
Hmmm, we may have to devote a thread to personable Dave!

Sorry for the hijack, now back to the original topic.
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM

You can still find very capable chrome shops here that are happy to re-plate your original iron.
that is what i will be doing with my chrome parts but it will cost more than a new reproduction.
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Eric, maybe you can get a better $$ range on the plating if you have them done with another batch. If you're not in a hurry it may save some time instead of paying for a small individual parts lot to be done? Some shops will give a price break when there's already a large order going through.
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:03 PM

i have thought about that. i have 4 OEM cut out bumpers and 2 fronts i would love to have done and a pile of other parts. including some old Honda 3 wheeler parts for another major restoration in the 3 wheeler market. i just don't think i could afford all of it at the same time even if they give me a brake. i am still over a year away from that so i will cross that bridge when i get there.