General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Longest drive

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2016, 03:49 PM

Longest drive

By this time next year I would like to take a drive in my 85 delta 88 to at least Louisiana from Texas. What's the longest drive you hits have taken in your old school olds?!
Old August 30th, 2016, 05:25 PM

Probably the opposite of your drive. My friends and I took my 70 Cutlass from Southeast Louisiana to New Braunfels, Texas and back.
Old August 30th, 2016, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Probably the opposite of your drive. My friends and I took my 70 Cutlass from Southeast Louisiana to New Braunfels, Texas and back.
Must have been a nice ride!
Old August 30th, 2016, 06:46 PM

We logged 3500 miles doing the Hot Rod Power Tour this year
Old August 30th, 2016, 06:46 PM

That was in ~1981. I was the only one with a car big enough to fit three high school boys and a bunch of camping gear.
Old August 30th, 2016, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
We logged 3500 miles doing the Hot Rod Power Tour this year
That's more than I drove all of last year haha!
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:46 PM
72 Olds CS

not the longest drive but what seemed like the longest walk....i ran out of gas in my cutlass last week about a 1/2 mile from home....to hear my wife and kid complain about it on the walk home you would have thought we were walking cross country !!!!
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:47 PM

That was in ~1981. I was the only one with a car big enough to fit three high school boys and a bunch of camping gear.
Bet that was a time to remember!
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
not the longest drive but what seemed like the longest walk....i ran out of gas in my cutlass last week about a 1/2 mile from home....to hear my wife and kid complain about it on the walk home you would have thought we were walking cross country !!!!
Same happened to me last month! Except it was me and my girlfriend in my delta! It was about a mile walk! Haha
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by WB8588
Bet that was a time to remember!
Absolutely! One night there was a torrential downpour and we discovered the campsite drained through our tent. Ended up sleeping in the car but one of my buddies jumped in the back seat as I opened the door so I slept up front - bucket seats, console, and Hurst Dual Gate shifter. Luckily I was thin enough to lay across the console between the shifter and the storage compartment, but the Dual Gate was jabbing me in the side all night.
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:27 PM

The wife and I and the 55 have several trips of 4,ooo plus miles ,California to South Dakota by way of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Nevada. Just a big loop. Also to BC. Canada on one trip and LA on another. The wife and the car are road Worriers..... Tedd
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:41 PM

Absolutely! One night there was a torrential downpour and we discovered the campsite drained through our tent. Ended up sleeping in the car but one of my buddies jumped in the back seat as I opened the door so I slept up front - bucket seats, console, and Hurst Dual Gate shifter. Luckily I was thin enough to lay across the console between the shifter and the storage compartment, but the Dual Gate was jabbing me in the side all night.
Noooooo haha! Seat belts are annoying enough for me in my car
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
The wife and I and the 55 have several trips of 4,ooo plus miles ,California to South Dakota by way of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Nevada. Just a big loop. Also to BC. Canada on one trip and LA on another. The wife and the car are road Worriers..... Tedd
Did you guys drive in snow?! That would be a sight to see if bet!
Old August 30th, 2016, 08:59 PM

I did Schaumburg Illinois to Greeley Colorado in 1988 in a 1976 Cutlass Salon. I found out just how rotten my passenger floorboard was on that trip. Somewhere about 100 miles into Iowa my passenger carpet started smoking. It turns out that the floor was just rotten enough to sag down on top of the catalytic converter and heat up the styrofoam cup my mother had put there. Fortunately nothing caught fire and I was able to get it repaired along the way.
We had a great trip to my Aunts wedding and I found out just how badly a carbureted engine runs at about 9500'. I must have blown out about 65 pounds of carbon after we got back down into Greeley....lol.
Old August 30th, 2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
I did Schaumburg Illinois to Greeley Colorado in 1988 in a 1976 Cutlass Salon. I found out just how rotten my passenger floorboard was on that trip. Somewhere about 100 miles into Iowa my passenger carpet started smoking. It turns out that the floor was just rotten enough to sag down on top of the catalytic converter and heat up the styrofoam cup my mother had put there. Fortunately nothing caught fire and I was able to get it repaired along the way.
We had a great trip to my Aunts wedding and I found out just how badly a carbureted engine runs at about 9500'. I must have blown out about 65 pounds of carbon after we got back down into Greeley....lol.
Haha, I'm sure that wasn't funny at the moment but afterwards I'm sure you have a good laugh. Do you watch Roadkill on YouTube? Haha sound likes something that would happen to them
Old August 30th, 2016, 11:27 PM

Did you guys drive in snow?! That would be a sight to see if bet!
We had it all, sometimes all in one day. If you have the time or interest here is a link to The Mother Of All Road Trips. It was a fun trip problems and all.... Tedd https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...beginning.html
Old August 31st, 2016, 02:32 AM

Upstate NY to San Diego CA in 1989 with my 72 Cutlass. About 3,000 miles with the route taken.
Had to replace distributor in an AZ campground. It did not want to come out and only did after an epic struggle.
Needless to say I was not invited to sing Kumbaya at the fire ring that night.
Old August 31st, 2016, 02:50 AM

I built my Olds in 81 & 82, starting driving it in 83. Longest trip was about 2000 miles one way, to a car show. I put about 160K miles on it before retiring it in 2003 (when it lost the brakes coming home from a show).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chopoldsside - Copy.jpg (131.5 KB, 12 views)
Old August 31st, 2016, 03:44 AM
Oldsdruid

Several in different cars. Usually involved trips to OCA Nats.

69 Toronado probably has the most miles under its belt as it was driven from Danville VA to Columbus OH and back 1990, to St Louis and back in 1991, to Atlanta and back several times in the 90s and to Springfield IL and back 1998.

76 Ninety Eight has been from DVA to Lansing MI and back 1997 and to Parsippany NJ and back 2000.

My old 73 Delta ragtop went to NJ in 1988 and 1993.

Used to get in them and travel like that on a moment's notice with no worries. Hopefully will be able to do it again someday.
Old August 31st, 2016, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Several in different cars. Usually involved trips to OCA Nats.

69 Toronado probably has the most miles under its belt as it was driven from Danville VA to Columbus OH and back 1990, to St Louis and back in 1991, to Atlanta and back several times in the 90s and to Springfield IL and back 1998.

76 Ninety Eight has been from DVA to Lansing MI and back 1997 and to Parsippany NJ and back 2000.

My old 73 Delta ragtop went to NJ in 1988 and 1993.

Used to get in them and travel like that on a moment's notice with no worries. Hopefully will be able to do it again someday.
I want to do the same someday
Old August 31st, 2016, 03:53 AM

I drove over 4000 miles the year of the Reno Nationals in my 1970 F85. I did a round robin, from B.C., Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, and back home. Hit various wrecking yards along the way. I don't think carburation was working well cause it sucked it back like a 455. It was a great trip and look forward to doing another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
most recent 877.JPG (1.98 MB, 10 views)
Old August 31st, 2016, 10:40 AM

I was on a business trip in Dallas. I had a return plane ticket but instead decided to shop around.

I put 350 miles on my rental car on the Friday of that week just driving around looking at cars for sale. I ended up going back that evening and purchasing the first car I had looked at that morning: an 84 Delta 88 2-door.

I picked it up the next morning (Saturday) and stopped at the parts store. I bought new belts for it and installed them in my hotel parking lot. I had previously sent ahead a small toolbox with the equipment I had shipped for work.

I hit the road at 3:00 that afternoon for Cleveland, OH. I planned to stop at some point for the night. But it was Memorial Day weekend and everything was booked up.

At some point in Tennessee, I got pulled over and the Trooper got suspicious since I fit the profile of a "runner." With me in the back of his car, he and his partner completely searched mine. At that point, I got to thinking "What if there is something in there that I don't know about..."

I was let off with a warning and stopped for a few hour nap in a rest area. I got back up and finished my trip arriving home at 3:00 Sunday afternoon, 1600 miles later.

I cashed in my return plane ticket, and was able to expense 29 cents/mile at that time since I used my "own car" for company business.

I continued to put another 160,000 miles on that car over the next ten years as a daily. Parts of it went on to live on in other cars of mine after I scrapped it.

Last edited by Local Hero; August 31st, 2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old August 31st, 2016, 12:04 PM

My 442 has made it maybe 3 miles at a time. Still a project.
Old August 31st, 2016, 01:39 PM

In 2002 I flew to Tucson AZ, bought a red 67 Buick GS400 convertible. Then drove it home to Ironton OH, a real good time. No break downs.
Old August 31st, 2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Local Hero
I was on a business trip in Dallas. I had a return plane ticket but instead decided to shop around.

I put 350 miles on my rental car on the Friday of that week just driving around looking at cars for sale. I ended up going back that evening and purchasing the first car I had looked at that morning: an 84 Delta 88 2-door.

I picked it up the next morning (Saturday) and stopped at the parts store. I bought new belts for it and installed them in my hotel parking lot. I had previously sent ahead a small toolbox with the equipment I had shipped for work.

I hit the road at 3:00 that afternoon for Cleveland, OH. I planned to stop at some point for the night. But it was Memorial Day weekend and everything was booked up.

At some point in Tennessee, I got pulled over and the Trooper got suspicious since I fit the profile of a "runner." With me in the back of his car, he and his partner completely searched mine. At that point, I got to thinking "What if there is something in there that I don't know about..."

I was let off with a warning and stopped for a few hour nap in a rest area. I got back up and finished my trip arriving home at 3:00 Sunday afternoon, 1600 miles later.

I cashed in my return plane ticket, and was able to expense 29 cents/mile at that time since I used my "own car" for company business.

I continued to put another 160,000 miles on that car over the next ten years as a daily. Parts of it went on to live on in other cars of mine after I scrapped it.
Haha!!! Dang police! Even though you know there is nothing in your car, you always still worry hahaha!
Old August 31st, 2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
My 442 has made it maybe 3 miles at a time. Still a project.
That love a person has for their project haha. People say "that thing will never make out of the driveway" and the moment you get it down the street and it stalls, you feel unstoppable hahahaha!
Old August 31st, 2016, 04:21 PM
4 Barrels of Laughs

well the car wasnt an olds, it was an 86 buick wagon I had during my 'wagon phase' and it was powered by the 'stone' - the olds 307 y code. we drove non stop from beacon NY to needle CA, then aroundthere then back taking a circuitous route down to el paso etc, thru atlanta, back to NY. OF course, it took a quart of oil each tank of gas as Y-codes are want to do.

And when up high outside of laughlin or thru RR pass on the Sam Kinnison hwy, I had all of what, 90 4bbl hp to make due with?
Old August 31st, 2016, 05:01 PM

2200 miles round-trip from Michigan to New Orleans to visit a friend during spring break. This was 1984 and I was driving my '72 Cutlass S (350 2-bbl) with 145,000 miles on it (never any rebuilds, and it didn't burn a drop of oil).

Most of the trip down was at night and I was resolved to drive as fast as I dared given the steady rain. It helped keep me awake! My speeds ranged from 25 to 95 mph on the interstate. When I stopped for gas I found that the rain and high speeds had removed the paint from the leading edge of the hood. At daybreak in Mississippi I drafted a semi at over 80 mph for an hour. This was all back when the speed limit was 55. I ran out of gas on the causeway approaching the city. Stole some gas out of the back of a pick-up truck in the bayou, expecting to get shot.
Old August 31st, 2016, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
2200 miles round-trip from Michigan to New Orleans to visit a friend during spring break. This was 1984 and I was driving my '72 Cutlass S (350 2-bbl) with 145,000 miles on it (never any rebuilds, and it didn't burn a drop of oil).

Most of the trip down was at night and I was resolved to drive as fast as I dared given the steady rain. It helped keep me awake! My speeds ranged from 25 to 95 mph on the interstate. When I stopped for gas I found that the rain and high speeds had removed the paint from the leading edge of the hood. At daybreak in Mississippi I drafted a semi at over 80 mph for an hour. This was all back when the speed limit was 55. I ran out of gas on the causeway approaching the city. Stole some gas out of the back of a pick-up truck in the bayou, expecting to get shot.
Hahahahaha!!!
Old September 1st, 2016, 04:59 AM

Haha!!! Dang police! Even though you know there is nothing in your car, you always still worry hahaha!
The car was well used when I got it. There could have been ANYTHING in that car from any previous owner.
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:04 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Only day trips so far about 200 miles top. Always top down. Will do longer in the future.
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:36 AM

Longest in the '92 Custom Cruiser (aka CCRider) was either Dallas to Reno or Dallas to Massachusetts for OCA Nats. Can't remember mileage or years. Longest in the '68 FlatTop Wagon (Silver Bullet) was Dallas to Lansing for the OCA Nats. Great trips, all. Love the thumbsup on the road, particularly.
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:46 AM

trips

Calgary to Saskatoon & back in several different Oldsmobiles over the years. roughly 375 mi each way. Done it in my 1972 W-30, my 1966 F-85, my 1980 442 & my 1969 Delta Royale.
Old September 1st, 2016, 10:44 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

I drove my '64 98 from Charlotte, NC to Daytona Beach for a rod run in 1996. Performed like a champ but drank gas something fierce.
Old September 1st, 2016, 12:05 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by BlackGold

This is a good story, Brian. You're a little crazier than I thought.