General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Locked engine 64 Dymanic88

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2021, 05:47 PM

Locked engine 64 Dymanic88

Hi Guy's
Looking for encouraging words. Poured diesel down cylinders sat now since November. Still can't turn it over. Time to try something else?
Let me know.
Regards Dieago
Old April 6th, 2021, 05:50 PM

If it's been since November I'm sorry but not too much to be encouraged about. It needs to come apart.
Old April 7th, 2021, 12:01 AM

I just supplied U.S.A. made parts for a 1964 Olds 394 in New Zealand ---
Pistons, Piston Rings Set, Connecting Rod Bearings, Main Bearings Set, Cam Bearings Set,
High Performance Camshaft, Vale Lifters, Push Rods, Intake Valves, Intake Valve Guides, Exhaust Valves, Exhaust Valve Guides, set of Valve Keepers, Oil Pump, Oil Pump Screen, Oil Pump Shaft, Timing Chain, Timing Cam Gear, Timing Crank Gear, and Complete Engine Gasket Set....
Can do it again, be comforted that you don't have to go Chineseum, if that is the route you are going to go......
Yours, Craig....
Old April 7th, 2021, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
I just supplied U.S.A. made parts for a 1964 Olds 394 in New Zealand ---
Pistons, Piston Rings Set, Connecting Rod Bearings, Main Bearings Set, Cam Bearings Set,
High Performance Camshaft, Vale Lifters, Push Rods, Intake Valves, Intake Valve Guides, Exhaust Valves, Exhaust Valve Guides, set of Valve Keepers, Oil Pump, Oil Pump Screen, Oil Pump Shaft, Timing Chain, Timing Cam Gear, Timing Crank Gear, and Complete Engine Gasket Set....
Can do it again, be comforted that you don't have to go Chineseum, if that is the route you are going to go......
Yours, Craig....
Old April 7th, 2021, 05:35 AM

Thanks but...

At the stage of trying to get it turning over, not rebuilding yet.
Regards Dieago
Old April 7th, 2021, 06:39 AM

When you need.... I am hopefully not dieing tomorrow!!!!!!
Old April 7th, 2021, 07:19 AM

Dieago, try 50% 50% acetone ATF. It's a good homebrew penetrant.
Old April 7th, 2021, 07:21 AM

I have unstuck a few engines with Marvel Mystery Oil. I have no idea what is in it, but it worked on a couple of engines that were stuck and had not run for 10+ years.
Old April 7th, 2021, 07:34 AM

I have never pulled a stuck 394 a part with a Slim Jim attached but the earlier Jet-away and Slant pan engines are a major problem to separate the engine from the transmission when stuck. I seem to remember that that may not be a issue with the Slim Jim. Someone else needs to chime in if the problem with the nonrotation to get to the rod bolts is the same as the earlier first generation engines. You might want to try a little harder to get some movement of the pistons..... Tedd
Old April 7th, 2021, 07:37 AM

Once you use either Koda or NTXOLDS marvel mystery oil, both good..,let sit couple days.using a large persuader aka pipe on a Socket and bar, and rock the crank back and forth several times a day, see if you can get it to move even a little, keep working it it-several times-a day..after a week if you cannot get it to budge using a pipe on a socket handle with plenty of leverage then its time to pull it apart..
Old April 7th, 2021, 08:12 AM
Phantom Phixer

57 and up engines do not present separation from trans problems when rusted " stuck " .
It was the early Hydra- matic's ( Without " park " ) that present a problem .

I have dealt with at least three " stuck " engines over the years . Even after freeing them up , they still needed to be completely overhauled .
When the cylinder walls and the rings become rusted . There is no way the rings will ever " seat " again .
The same thing goes for cam and lifters . Expect rapid camshaft wear .
Old April 7th, 2021, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
57 and up engines do not present separation from trans problems when rusted " stuck " .

I have dealt with at least three " stuck " engines over the years . Even after freeing them up , they still needed to be completely overhauled .
When the cylinder walls and the rings become rusted . There is no way the rings will ever " seat " again .
Thanks Charlie 😀
Old April 7th, 2021, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Andylappin
Once you use either Koda or NTXOLDS marvel mystery oil, both good..,let sit couple days.using a large persuader aka pipe on a Socket and bar, and rock the crank back and forth several times a day, see if you can get it to move even a little, keep working it it-several times-a day..after a week if you cannot get it to budge using a pipe on a socket handle with plenty of leverage then its time to pull it apart..
Thanks Andy
Old April 7th, 2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I have never pulled a stuck 394 a part with a Slim Jim attached but the earlier Jet-away and Slant pan engines are a major problem to separate the engine from the transmission when stuck. I seem to remember that that may not be a issue with the Slim Jim. Someone else needs to chime in if the problem with the nonrotation to get to the rod bolts is the same as the earlier first generation engines. You might want to try a little harder to get some movement of the pistons..... Tedd
Thanks 😊
Old April 7th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Dieago, try 50% 50% acetone ATF. It's a good homebrew penetrant.
Yes have that inside also ☺️
Old April 7th, 2021, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by NTXOlds
I have unstuck a few engines with Marvel Mystery Oil. I have no idea what is in it, but it worked on a couple of engines that were stuck and had not run for 10+ years.
Thanks it's worth a try 🙂
Old April 7th, 2021, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Andylappin
Ok Andy 😃
Old April 7th, 2021, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones

I completely agree. Most stuck engines will need to be rebuilt. The one exception I experienced was with a friend's old RX7 with a rotary engine. After "unsticking" it with Marvel Mystery Oil, it ran perfectly again for another 10 years.
Old April 7th, 2021, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 66SportCoupe
If it's been since November I'm sorry but not too much to be encouraged about. It needs to come apart.
Thank you 😊