General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Leaky Moonroof

Old April 5th, 2019, 09:01 AM

Leaky Moonroof

Is a body shop the best place to go to get a leaky moonroof repaired? The car is a thousand miles away from so doing it myself is not possible.
Old April 5th, 2019, 10:11 AM

It's a reasonable place to try. Call one in the area and ask. I would think the first choice would be to call a place that installs aftermarket sun/moon roofs as they would be most likely to be familiar with a problem like this. If there are no such shops nearby, then, yes, the next step I would take would be to call a body shop. If they don't do it, they might know a place that does.
Old April 5th, 2019, 04:01 PM

Most body shops in my area will contract a local glass shop to look at your moon roof and charge a percentage on top of the glass shop which reflects double charge to you. If you have a older moon roof be prepared to hear they may have to install a brand new one due to parts are not interchangeable between moon/sun roofs or just are obsolete which could lead to having the cut area of the roof opened larger for a new moon roof assembly. Hopefully it's just the bead sealant that leaks between the frame and the roof which you may just cost you labor. You will have to bring it in though you say the cars a thousand miles away. Look in the area for a glass shop first. If none then a body shop.
Old April 8th, 2019, 03:50 AM

jaunty75 & seansolds,

Thanks for your comments. I have found an auto glass shop in the Kansas City area that has experience working on them. The car goes in tomorrow.
Old April 8th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Jeff

This is why I avoid moonroofs when car shopping. I currently have my buddy searching cars coming off lease to buy used. Unfortunately, a lot of the Buicks add those stupid moonroofs with the premium packages.