General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Landfill barn find.

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2021, 04:39 PM

Landfill barn find.

Hey everyone,

New to the site and was hoping to share my recent find. I recently came across a 1967 cutlass supreme convertible in a landfill and saved her from being crushed. So for 300 for the frame and body and another 800 for the engine and trans which have apparently been overhauled. I have not completely identified her but figured I would post her and see what I may learn.

Old March 2nd, 2021, 04:43 PM
Banned

Welcome

Good for you saving that car. Big project. Are those early Cragers on there?
Old March 2nd, 2021, 04:49 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... It's great to see another one saved... Good luck with the project... Many 67 owners here if you should need any information to help in your efforts...
Old March 2nd, 2021, 04:55 PM

Well, if the poor thing still has a vin tag and a cowl plate, take some pictures of them.

Also, what's your location?
Old March 2nd, 2021, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. What's your plan for the car?
Old March 2nd, 2021, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Well, if the poor thing still has a vin tag and a cowl plate, take some pictures of them.

Also, what's your location?
Located In central FL.

Frame after cleaning and coating.

Body plate. Have vin as well. The car was clearly torn apart with intentions to restore. I intend to complete the restoration myself.

Block code

Head stamp

Parts i managed to save.
Old March 2nd, 2021, 09:22 PM

Ok that's some info.

You have a 33867 Cutlass Supreme Convertible, made the 5th week of the E month, as in May. Similar to when mine went down the line. Lansing Michigan. Convertible body serial number 8045.
980-C is a black interior with armrest bench seat. C-2 is the paint code, that's C, white, with 2, black ragtop. That is not a bad color scheme.

Your options codes are T in the second group, F in the 4th group, and M in the 5th.
T is power antenna, and we can see the hole in your quarter panel for it. We can't see if the fender is lacking one, for obvious reasons.
F is remote mirror. I see your remote mirror bezel in your pile of parts.
M is rear seat belt center. You don't have the deluxe code, so standard belts.

Now here is where it gets interesting. I am assuming that engine is the one you got with the car.

E block bronze engines are Rocket 400s, the earlier version. The C head means it's a 67 vintage Rocket 400. These engines went on two cars, and only two. 442s, and Turnpike Cruisers. Your car is categorically not a 442. Lansing 442s have a V in the 5th group for the 442 trim. You don't have that call out. Your car may, however, be a convertible Cutlass Supreme with the Turnpike Cruiser option, and that is much more rare than a 442, but less valuable.

I see a few things you have with the car that support this. You have a 400 block, C heads, no intake manifold, and I see a 2 barrel carburetor above the Edelbrock box. Your car also has a rear sway bar, which came on the performance handling package, on 442s, Turnpike Cruisers, and by special order as well, I think. Is there a 2 barrel intake manifold lying around somewhere?

There may be special things on the cowl tag that you don't have that Turnpike Cruisers need, but I'm not sure. I think the next thing you should do is determine the ratio of the rear end. TC's came with 2.56 rears. If you have that rear, that's another part of deciding what the car was. Right now, I can't lean either way; it could be one, or it could be a normal Cutlass Supreme with some 442's engine.

A few cautions. Have you ever restored a car before? This thing will need a LOT of work, and you won't ever get the money you put into it, out of it. Secondly, it's not a 442. You can hotrod the hell out of the engine and make it faster than a 442, if you want. Or, if you figure out it actually is a Turnpike Cruiser, you can go that route. A TC will never get 442 money, nor are they particularly quick. However, wind them up on I-4, and you have a 20mpg, 100mph bomber that can do that all day. They have a neat air cleaner and engine tag, too.

Comment on your plans, budget, etc when you think of them, and we'll get you the parts you need.

Edit: That, I think, is a 114 date code stamp on the block, and that puts it out a month ahead of your car's build, which is plausible. Also, to be pedantic, the 400 could come in Police Apprehender cars, but those weren't convertibles.

Last edited by Koda; March 2nd, 2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2021, 09:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Congrats on the save. The 66 and 67 are one of my favorite Oldsmobiles. This is going to be an interesting build thread to follow.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 03:04 AM

Nice save!!! Hard to believe in this day & age that some idiot would crush that, so pat yourself on the back for going to the trouble & expense to keep it alive. Even if you don't rebuild it, at least it has a fighting chance to see the road again someday. Obviously it was a project in the works for someone before the tables turned.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 03:49 AM

Shaun, Good job. 66/67's are a group of their own. Welcome to ClassicOldsmobile.com.

Wayne
Old March 3rd, 2021, 03:55 AM

There may be special things on the cowl tag that you don't have that Turnpike Cruisers need, but I'm not sure. I think the next thing you should do is determine the ratio of the rear end. TC's came with 2.56 rears. If you have that rear, that's another part of deciding what the car was. Right now, I can't lean either way; it could be one, or it could be a normal Cutlass Supreme with some 442's engine.
Here is a pict of my TC trim tag, The 2Z is for a column shift turbo 400 I have been told, this car doesn't have that and all TC's had a Turbo 400 trans. As you said the 400 engine could have been sourced from a 442 or TC.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 04:21 AM

Nice save , incredible the interior floor section looks decent
the wheels look like old Appliance wheels
Old March 3rd, 2021, 08:53 AM
Phantom Phixer

Since it was salvaged from a landfill , I'm assuming there is no title for it .
What are your plans for getting one ?

I'm asking because I have a '70 Impala convertible that I "rescued " from a junkyard . And I will need to get one for it .
Old March 3rd, 2021, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Here is a pict of my TC trim tag, The 2Z is for a column shift turbo 400 I have been told, this car doesn't have that and all TC's had a Turbo 400 trans. As you said the 400 engine could have been sourced from a 442 or TC.
I think R could be the column shift, mine has it and has R. I need to make a replacement 66/67 cowl tag decoder page on here for a sticky.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 11:03 AM

I think R could be the column shift, mine has it and has R. I need to make a replacement 66/67 cowl tag decoder page on here for a sticky.
Someone decoded the R as rear speaker?
Old March 3rd, 2021, 11:04 AM
Some call me, Tim

Nice work! Lecanto here, probably not too far from you. Need any help, feel free to reach out! 🤙🏼
Old March 3rd, 2021, 01:00 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. Been a hectic day making water line repairs at my house.
my plans for the car is to continue the restoration. The floor pan's and rear quarters were replaced. I will cut out as much rust rust sheet metal as possible and replace with new. I have no plans to let this baby die. I have worked at restoration shops and am more than qualified to perform the vast majority of repairs.

As for the title, I am in the process of reaching out to get it through the bureaucratic process. If need be I will take ownership of the lien and move forward from there.

The car has an auto top and column shift. I have emblems for it as well. Hood, trunk, doors, and fenders are in rough shape but accounted for. Also it did have a 2 barrel carb and a new edelbrock performer manifold. I will post pics as I progress or in response to any inquiries.

Old March 3rd, 2021, 02:02 PM

Great find !! Enjoyed your picture progression of what you started with, where you are going, and how ya have it laid out. Keep up on posting updates as time allows!
Alex - from Iowa
Old March 3rd, 2021, 03:23 PM

Ok that's some info.

You have a 33867 Cutlass Supreme Convertible, made the 5th week of the E month, as in May. Similar to when mine went down the line. Lansing Michigan. Convertible body serial number 8045.
980-C is a black interior with armrest bench seat. C-2 is the paint code, that's C, white, with 2, black ragtop. That is not a bad color scheme.

Your options codes are T in the second group, F in the 4th group, and M in the 5th.
T is power antenna, and we can see the hole in your quarter panel for it. We can't see if the fender is lacking one, for obvious reasons.
F is remote mirror. I see your remote mirror bezel in your pile of parts.
M is rear seat belt center. You don't have the deluxe code, so standard belts.

Now here is where it gets interesting. I am assuming that engine is the one you got with the car.

E block bronze engines are Rocket 400s, the earlier version. The C head means it's a 67 vintage Rocket 400. These engines went on two cars, and only two. 442s, and Turnpike Cruisers. Your car is categorically not a 442. Lansing 442s have a V in the 5th group for the 442 trim. You don't have that call out. Your car may, however, be a convertible Cutlass Supreme with the Turnpike Cruiser option, and that is much more rare than a 442, but less valuable.

I see a few things you have with the car that support this. You have a 400 block, C heads, no intake manifold, and I see a 2 barrel carburetor above the Edelbrock box. Your car also has a rear sway bar, which came on the performance handling package, on 442s, Turnpike Cruisers, and by special order as well, I think. Is there a 2 barrel intake manifold lying around somewhere?

A few cautions. Have you ever restored a car before? This thing will need a LOT of work, and you won't ever get the money you put into it, out of it. Secondly, it's not a 442. You can hotrod the hell out of the engine and make it faster than a 442, if you want. Or, if you figure out it actually is a Turnpike Cruiser, you can go that route. A TC will never get 442 money, nor are they particularly quick. However, wind them up on I-4, and you have a 20mpg, 100mph bomber that can do that all day. They have a neat air cleaner and engine tag, too.

Comment on your plans, budget, etc when you think of them, and we'll get you the parts you need.

Edit: That, I think, is a 114 date code stamp on the block, and that puts it out a month ahead of your car's build, which is plausible. Also, to be pedantic, the 400 could come in Police Apprehender cars, but those weren't convertibles.
I'm not looking for a hot rod, nor do I have intentions to restore for resale. I will blow budget I know. It's for me so that's okay. 😁

Old March 3rd, 2021, 04:40 PM

Nice find!
Old March 3rd, 2021, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun Alvin Barnett
I'm not looking for a hot rod, nor do I have intentions to restore for resale. I will blow budget I know. It's for me so that's okay. 😁
Word. I may have some parts for you once you get to that point.
Old March 4th, 2021, 07:40 AM

I hope to give her body another ospho treatment and a baking soda bath today. If time and weather permits I will begin undercoating the non painted portions of the body.(e.g underside, firewall (bulkhead for those who fancy the updated terminology) trunk and passenger compartment. I will do my best to take photos and post on my next update.

Update on vehicle history and how it came to me. From what I hear the owner of this beauty owned the land before selling to the landfill. When sold they were given a 5 year lease to allow time to relocate. The vehicle owner had disassembled the car to restore it and it had become to much for him to continue. He was attempting to sell it but was unsuccessful due to people not seeing potential or his price to high. Over the years it got junk piled on and eventually forgotten. The time came for their lease to end and they moved on leaving behind barn full of belongings amongst them a once cherished piece of American history. Fast forward years later and the landfill owner decides he wants to use the barn and started to clear it out. A friend of mine is a loader operator there and when he was told to crush it and haul everything away. My friends first reaction was to call me since I had just rescued a 1973 ford bean firetruck from a field he found. And with a few weeks of back and forth I acquired all I could from the barn. And here we are on the journey to give a once great car a chance live again and be renewed to last another 60 years.

Old March 4th, 2021, 04:44 PM

Nice find. Cool story. I love it when one man's trash ends up being another man's treasure. Way to go!!
Old March 4th, 2021, 05:58 PM

Cool rescue! Keep up the good work.
Old March 5th, 2021, 04:29 PM

Super cool story! Love what you're doing. Watching the progress is fun!
-peter
Old March 18th, 2021, 07:47 AM

I have been working on sealing the car to minimize any further deterioration. So far I've made some progress but still lots to go.

Old March 18th, 2021, 07:56 AM

Old March 18th, 2021, 08:11 AM

I should bring you a load of parts next time I visit family in Orlando. I got a decklid, hood, pass door, an air cleaner for a quadrajet, a cowl piece, might have some mirrors, core radiator, might have some taillights, trunk trim, maybe hood trim. Wish I would have kept that ragtop frame now. AC box, and maybe some other stuff. Cheap.
Old March 18th, 2021, 08:33 AM

Awesome save and great story! Thanks for posting lots of pics!!
Old March 18th, 2021, 08:41 AM

Looking good! I'm looking forward to see your progress. Most folks don't have the imagination to see the possibility, nor the skill to complete it. It'll be a beauty.

Steve
Old March 18th, 2021, 11:40 AM

Welcome, great improvement already! Looking foward to progress.