General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Land Yacht = Environmental Vandal

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2012, 02:46 AM

Land Yacht = Environmental Vandal

Being the proud owner of a 59 98 coupe is an interesting thing in Australia as nothing built here ever came close to it in sheer presense.The most common comment from the modern motorist " I bet that sucks the gas".
A while ago in a previous land yacht I found myself captive at the lights to the rantings of a Prius driver ( The left hand drive puts you 3 foot away from the driver of a right hand drive ).
Has any one else been accused of being an environmental vandal for enjoying classic motoring?
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Never once in the Northeast - I just get waves and thumbs-ups (and the ever-popular "What year is that?").

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:36 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Never once in the Northeast - I just get waves and thumbs-ups (and the ever-popular "What year is that?").

- Eric

yup same here I dont mind that at all, but last night at a cruise I was a social terrorism victim of a guy who claimed to have a 71 just like mine (mines a 72) and then proceeded to hold me hostage while he bent my ear about his 1 of 7 mopar

Social terroism

Perhaps the prius owner would be interested in hearing how she is supporting foreign governments ? OK that might work in the US but maybe not in OZ and w you driving an american car LOL...ok how about the pollution from disposal of the toxic batteries ??? IDK
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

Next time ask the prius owner where the environmental safe zone is for his battery disposal.
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Oldsdruid

the rantings of a Prius driver
Consider the source and let it go. They aren't called Toyota Pious for nothing.

I've been known to quickly tell people like that to mind their own damn business unless they're paying for the licensing, insurance and upkeep of my vehicle.
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:35 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Next time tell him to google Lithium mining.

Larry
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

The only thing you can do with these narcissists is to ignore them - you can't reason with them and they're mostly giant hypocrites...

I had tenants (great people) but were left wing environmental wackos...Prius, recycle, blah blah - when they moved out, I found trash back upon trash bag of cardboard, papers, plastic - all of which I sorted and recycled - not them.

So, carry on in your land yacht, and put an "I love my Carbon Footprint" decal on your rear window...I have one on my Escalade - then they know exactly where you stand.
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:46 AM

I used to work at a Toyota dealership and I'd gladly strangle every Prius owner if given a chance If they even realized how huge the carbon footprint is for that car they wouldn't talk anymore but that's another story.
I got the same bashing about my 93 Buick Century. I wouldn't call it a land yacht by any means but many thought it guzzled gas too. Once I informed them I get 29 mpg at 65mph from my 3.3 V6 a lot of that chatter stopped.
I look at it this way. It's my car and I'll do what I want with it as long as it's within the law. Whether I have a 500ci Caddy engine in it or a 1.6L I'm the one paying for the gas not you so stfu and move over, I have places to go
I'm with MDchanic. I drive my 66 Cutlass all over and have never gotten anything but praise for it. Not once have I been asked if it gets good mileage
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:01 AM

Next time you can tell them... That's ok, not to worry, I've converted the engine, It does not suck/waste precious gasoline anymore, it now runs on a special formulation of baby kittens, Harp Seals and Bald Eagle feathers...
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:31 AM

ask them how many miles per LB of coal they get? with the first electric carriage being made in the 1830s, they have had 180 years to figure it out and still can't sell many of them. after 180 years i think they need to give up.
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by 1969Hurst
it now runs on a special formulation of baby kittens, Harp Seals and Bald Eagle feathers...
Whale oil. Ya gotta add whale oil. Throw in a spotted owl and a salamander or two...
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:04 AM

People ask me over here all the time, and I always add that it's a lot better for the environment than spending the coal and chemicals it takes to make a new car.
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Just the facts...

i wouldn't generate the carbon dioxide to talk to them, i'd just flip 'em off. <<that's green! LOL!

bill
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Lansing built

numbers

According to cleanfleetreport.com a Prius hydrid (2010) has a 3.70 tons of emissions per year (report did not specify miles per year???)

Per a vehicle carbon footprint calculator, which I am sure dose not take into the fact of non emissioned cars, but @12 MPG it comes up .71 tons of emission per 1000 miles, so in straight terms you would have to drive 5220 miles in order to equal a Prius!

Pat
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
... i'd just flip 'em off. <<that's green!
How true. I've found it to be infinitely recyclable.

In fact, since doing this often generates a second one in return, I'd wager it could be the basis for a perpetual motion machine.

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by MDchanic
How true. I've found it to be infinitely recyclable.

In fact, since doing this often generates a second one in return, I'd wager it could be the basis for a perpetual motion machine.

- Eric
LOL!

bill
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:48 PM

[
"I love my Carbon Footprint" decal on your rear window...

I gotta get me one of them!!!
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by BILL DEMMER
LOL!

bill
I wonder if there is a market for that!!
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:15 AM

I had a 1970 Cadillac Calais. 472 cid, Bayberry Green in color. I had a "Green is Good" sticker in the back window. Whenever I'd drive past a prius, I'd step on the gas a little harder, it seemed like the right thing to do. I eventually sold the Calais with the sticker and traded up to a bigger, heavier car. It's black. Still, I should have saved the sticker...
Old August 18th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by lazy394
[
"I love my Carbon Footprint" decal on your rear window...

I gotta get me one of them!!!
http://www.cafepress.com/+carbon-foo...umper-stickers
Old August 18th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Mostly Gristle

I want to get a "Stick that Prius up your A$$" sticker for my old GMC Suburban work truck. The Prius people around here make believe they can't se me and they won't get out of the way half the time.
How do yo recycle used up lithium batteries anyway?
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Funny, but the OP complained about the poor behavior of a Prius driver. None of you fans of American muscle are exhibiting the class that reflects the high road. Why engage in the negative energy of others?
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Since I have a volt and more then enough solar to charge it, unlike the majority of the eco psychopaths out there, I don't give the hypocritical crap much notice. My favorite method of burning my allotment of fossil fuels is at wide open throttle, with my unmuffled side pipes pointed at their Prii windows. If they really cared as much as they preached, they would be on a bike or bus.
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:32 PM

I've gotten flak from my co-workers in the past. My response has been to tell them to google "PBS" and "rare earth" together. A couple years ago PBS (public broadcast system for those of you outside the US) did a 5-6 minute report on the ecological impacts around the mining and processing of rare earth compounds in China. Green technology needs this stuff and its not without impacts of it's own.

John
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Senior Moment Member

Next time just push him off the road. That car is like a bulldozer.
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by cwracer
... If they really cared as much as they preached, they would be on a bike or bus.
or hoofing it!

bill
Old August 19th, 2012, 11:00 PM

Thanks for that...ordered a couple of good ones!!!
Old August 20th, 2012, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by lazy394
A while ago in a previous land yacht I found myself captive at the lights to the rantings of a Prius driver ( The left hand drive puts you 3 foot away from the driver of a right hand drive ).

Bravery only comes when they don't think they will get an *** whipping.
If you were a big dude tatted up sitting there loping they would keep their mouth shut I guarantee it.*

I was leaving my In-Laws house in the city (Chicago) one day in my 442 clone and stopped at a light next to a Prius as well. I looked over, and just to mess around, I asked him what kind of MPG he got. They told me whatever, and then asked me mine. I said 11mpg......and said something to the effect of it was a pleasure vehicle though, not a DD. Then I punched it and got on the expressway heading to the suburbs.

My car is metallic Sherwood green, and I've wanted to put "Go Green!!! Hybrid, burns fuel and rubber"

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 20th, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old August 20th, 2012, 04:47 AM

Leaving a cruise night the other night I was 4th in line of 6 cars heading home. Ahhhhh, the aroma of 50's to 70's muscle.