General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Just thinking... what is more rare now?

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM

Just thinking... what is more rare now?

So was sitting around the other day staring at my two '65's in Laurel Mist Green... and I pondered the question I don't think anyone has asked? With all the 4 doors out there being cut up and parted out to fix our 2 door hardtops... are the 4 doors actually more rare now? I can't think of the last time I have seen another nice 4 door '65 Cutlass... any thoughts?

Old August 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM

That's a really good question and since I have your car in the 64 version, I have wondered the exact same thing. In a thread I made yesterday,

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...hate-when.html

I almost was able to buy a 66 F-85 Deluxe 4-door and in thinking about how many of those have been cut up to save coupes, there could not be many left worth saving. It's really a shame as done well, they can still be a really sharp looking car that's a lot cheaper to purchase and you can still have just as much fun as the folks that have spent so much more money.
Attached Images
Old August 21st, 2009, 02:44 PM
car guy

I picked up a 67 4door hard top the other day with intentions to cut up. After getting it home and looking at it better its almost too good of car to cut up and you never see hard tops only post sedans. I think I am going to give it a chance to live another day before the sawall comes out.
Old August 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM

Your getting soft in your old age Richard which is good thing, time to same as many as we can, what with the goverment trying to crush everything is site.
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

Well, four doors were more rare than two doors when those cars were new. Four doors didn't start outselling two doors until the late 1970s or early 1980s, if I remember correctly.

And once again, "rare" is not a guarantee of "valuable". A 442 is more rare than a Chevelle SS. Guess which one brings more money at auction.
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I picked up a 67 4door hard top the other day with intentions to cut up. After getting it home and looking at it better its almost too good of car to cut up and you never see hard tops only post sedans. I think I am going to give it a chance to live another day before the sawall comes out.
I like hearing you say your going to give it another chance to live. You can have a lot of fun with a 4-Door. I saved these pictures of a 66 Cutlasss Supreme Holiday Sedan from the internet. I've never seen the car in person, but I think it looks fantastic not to mention the fact that it was factory equiped with a 4-speed. I never did know what it sold for. The other picture was from the recent Hurst/Olds club meet. I think that is a really cool use for a 67 wagon. And there all 4-doors. You just don't see these anymore. Just think about what your 67 Cutlass hardtop (is it a Supreme or regular Cutlass?) would look like done up like your convertible. What a great car when its too cool for the top down! And how rare that would be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0285.jpg (133.0 KB, 22 views)
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM

Back in the 60's and 70's you would not get a lot for trade for a four door. Many dealers would scrap them rather than have a lot full. Also because they had low resale value many were just driven into the ground.
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:14 PM

Kinda like wagons... they were family cars that got used up and junked rather than restored. John
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 76Supreme455
I like hearing you say your going to give it another chance to live. You can have a lot of fun with a 4-Door. I saved these pictures of a 66 Cutlasss Supreme Holiday Sedan from the internet. I've never seen the car in person, but I think it looks fantastic not to mention the fact that it was factory equiped with a 4-speed. I never did know what it sold for. The other picture was from the recent Hurst/Olds club meet. I think that is a really cool use for a 67 wagon. And there all 4-doors. You just don't see these anymore. Just think about what your 67 Cutlass hardtop (is it a Supreme or regular Cutlass?) would look like done up like your convertible. What a great car when its too cool for the top down! And how rare that would be.
Thats I real nice 66 in the pics. I bought the 67 out of my 455 fund to make some more money for the 455. I know I can make a decent chunk in pieces beacase of many clean parts on it but I think I going to try to resell it whole.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM

Well.. I have had numerous offers to buy the 4door to use as a donor.. it is absolutely rust free, and rock solid straight. But I just can't do it. It is too nice of a car and I plan on enjoying them both!
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:32 AM
Alb

4 doors

When I was younger the thought of a 4 door was out of the question.
You just weren't cool if you drove one. But, as you get older they made more sense. Both my daily drivers are 4 doors. My classics on the other hand are all 2 doors. 64 chevelle SS, 49 ford and my favorite 69 cutlass (not finished yet), But I am going today and look at a 67 cutlass 4 door . Hate to see a good car being destroyed. If the price is right I'll buy it. And be in the dog house with the wife for awhile. I guess any classic deserves to have a life. At least that's what I'm telling my wife.
Alb
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:45 AM
Oldsdruid

Having a color-matched pair is just about too cool.

Any more, my mindset is a nice car is a nice car, be it two-door, four-door, wagon, whatever. There are even some cars I've come to like better as four-door hardtops- 59-60 GM cars for example, or 65-68 GM B-body. Put the right color and factory wheel treatment on them and they really turn heads.

We'll always have the anti-four-door mentality with us though, and the Chevy crowd seems to be the worst for that. I had a local Chevy azzhole tell me serious car guys wouldn't even consider owning a four-door car.

I laughed in his face. They come up with this stupid stuff and wonder why I do that. I made sure to ride by his Chevelle in my Ninety Eight and wave when I left the cruise night...
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Oldsdruid

Am I the only one who picked up on that gawjus Supreme Holiday Sedan is a FOUR-SPEED car?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM

Yep! and it makes you rethink 4drs. That is a sweet ride full of suprises
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 72 cutlass455
Many dealers would scrap them rather than have a lot full.
Scrap them? No. Sure they were *less* valuable, but far from worthless. Pull out any old NADA, and you can confirm this. If they don't want a car, they wholesale it off, 2 door, 4 door or whatever. A car would only be scrapped if it were in poor enough condition.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM

In my day as a drivable teenager, it wasn't the 4 door option as much as the roll down the windows option of not having a center post. Thus giving the car a very open look, kind of as close to a convertable look as possible. It also made mooning while cruising easier!
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 76Supreme455
Originally Posted by rocketraider
Am I the only one who picked up on that gawjus Supreme Holiday Sedan is a FOUR-SPEED car?
Nice bit of Oldsmobile trivia. '66 was the first year for the Cutlass Supreme. It was a Cutlass model simply called a Supreme because it only came one way: as a 4-door hardtop. 2-door Supremes didn't arrive until 1967.

'66 was a banner year for performance, even aside from the 442s. All Cutlass models came with the 320 hp 330s standard. All F-85s and Cutlasses offered M14, M20 and M21 trans and had factory available gears though 3.90 all with available Anti-Spin! Even the 6 cylindes

I had a '66 Supreme. 320 hp 330, dual exhaust, 3.23 Anti-Spin. Even with the Jetaway, it was a sleeper and a respectable stoplight warrior!
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
It also made mooning while cruising easier!
Please don't post any examples unless females were doing the mooning
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM

In 65, across all F85 model lines, there were 61,506 4 drs made and 91,729 2 drs made, not including convertibles.

For me personally, Id never own a 4 door. I once read in Hemmings Muscle Machines that "since the number of 2dr Chevys and Pontiacs are dwindling, there is nothing wrong with building a 4 door Tempest or Chevelle to get started in the A body scene." WTF There are tons of Buicks and Oldsmobiles out there that are two doors and are A bodies.

I guess to that author it would be better to build a 4 door Chevy than a 2 dr Cutlass.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM

I lived in upstate NY where they spread salt on the roads and many used cars were scraped. Many of the used cars on dealer lots in my area came from the south and were salt free cars.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 72 cutlass455
I lived in upstate NY where they spread salt on the roads and many used cars were scraped. Many of the used cars on dealer lots in my area came from the south and were salt free cars.
Of course. But they were scrapped because they were junk, not because they were 4-doors.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM

I put a set of rally wheels on my 1967 4 door and I regularly get positive comments on it. True, if I had a 442 that was fully restored I may want to drive it more often. But I have no problem using this car as my daily driver. Shoot, if I had my wagon done that would be more fun yet! My 2 cents

P1010999.jpg
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
car guy

no reason for this to stay in the newby forum..moved
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM

I love moredoors! What's wrong with being a family man with a cool car? The main thing with me is, I'm skint, so if having an extra coupla doors means I can actually afford a cool car then so be it. These days you could probably build a fast, nice, four door for the purchase price of a rough two door...
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

We'll always have the anti-four-door mentality with us though, and the Chevy crowd seems to be the worst for that. I had a local Chevy azzhole tell me serious car guys wouldn't even consider owning a four-door car.

I laughed in his face. They come up with this stupid stuff and wonder why I do that. I made sure to ride by his Chevelle in my Ninety Eight and wave when I left the cruise night...

After my nicely built biscayne (more door) was stolen I went to a local cruise-in to hand out some fliers and had a so-called car guy actually say, "why would anybody steal that?"
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:34 AM

Trivia

Nice bit of Oldsmobile trivia. '66 was the first year for the Cutlass Supreme. It was a Cutlass model simply called a Supreme because it only came one way: as a 4-door hardtop. 2-door Supremes didn't arrive until 1967.

'66 was a banner year for performance, even aside from the 442s. All Cutlass models came with the 320 hp 330s standard. All F-85s and Cutlasses offered M14, M20 and M21 trans and had factory available gears though 3.90 all with available Anti-Spin! Even the 6 cylindes

I had a '66 Supreme. 320 hp 330, dual exhaust, 3.23 Anti-Spin. Even with the Jetaway, it was a sleeper and a respectable stoplight warrior!
Good stuff, Kurt!

Bob