General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Just bought 70 Cut. Sup.

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Just bought 70 Cut. Sup.

Just bought this car today. It is missing cowl tag wondering if you can get this replaced. It has all kinds of paper trail and photos of restore. I do not have the build sheet. I have an e-mail from Gen. Motors saying to try and get replacement window sticker. Has anyone done this and is it a good thing to do? I have serial number but do not know how to make any thing of it. (342670m320366) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad
Old December 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Olds fanatic

Brad,

Here's the breakdown on your vin:

3 = Oldsmobile
42 = Cutlass Supreme
67 = convertible
0 = 1970
M = Lansing, Michigan (assembly plant)
320366 = plant assembly sequence number (starting with 100001)

When you say it is missing the cowl tag, are you referring to the small plate at the base of the dash near the windshield on the drivers side? Or are you referring to the tin data plate that is mounted on the top of the firewall, drivers side, above and behind the power brake booster?

In either case this is a major red flag. There is no good reason to remove either of these tags. If it's the vin tag that is missing, this is clearly illegal. People do sometimes remove the firewall data plate to replace or restore them, but this is a real hot button and is almost always done for fraudulent reasons. Can you explain a little more about this? You may be looking at some significant issues when you go to your local dmv to register the car.
Old December 13th, 2009, 06:46 PM

cowl tag

The vin number is in the opening like it is suppose to be. I was referring to the tag that says fischer body tag with the paint codes and the trim codes. I did not know there was another tag on the firewall. There is paper work going back to when the original lady bought the car. She had it restored in 84-86 all the paper work is there from that also. It shows all the parts that were put on the car and where they came from. With all these documents I cant believe they were trying do something shady. It also has the protecto plate and all receipts from all the work done on the car. Is there anything else I should be looking for, because this is all new to me? Please advise me. Thanks
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Registered

A guy back east may be able to help.

http://www.datatags.com/
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Olds fanatic

Originally Posted by monuman1
I was referring to the tag that says fischer body tag with the paint codes and the trim codes. I did not know there was another tag on the firewall.
We are both referring top the same Fisher Body Tag.

There is paper work going back to when the original lady bought the car. She had it restored in 84-86 all the paper work is there from that also. It shows all the parts that were put on the car and where they came from. With all these documents I cant believe they were trying do something shady.
OK, it sounds harmless, but I am still wondering why the Firewall data plate was removed in the first place. It is unlikely that it was damaged to the point of needing to be replaced. It also sounds unlikely that they (the restorers) were trying to change the vehicle's identity (create a 442 from a Cutlass). So why was it removed? And why was it not replaced? In your case it sounds like a big non-issue. But I still contend that most often when these tags are removed or replaced, it is for fraudulent reasons

So I guess you should probably visit the website mentioned above and get yourself a replacement. If you do this, you'll need to provide them with the correct information for this tag. Let us know if you need help with this.

Good luck with your new car and post some pics if you can.

Kevin
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:02 AM

Welcome to the 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible club
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:44 AM

cowl tag

First thing thanks for all your help. There are photos of the cowl panel being cut out and removed and replaced. I don't know if they put it in there file and forgot to put it back on or what. As documented as everything seems I don't understand not putting it back on. I will need some help with a new one. I don't know where to get the info for it. All help is appreciated.

Thanks again,

Brad