General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Jumping in with both feet?

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM

Jumping in with both feet?

I'm looking at buying a 1961 Starfire convertible. Hoping for some definitive information here on the forum. It's in pretty good shape. Runs, drives, etc.... Will need some TLC.
Talk to me......
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by sprayberry1
Talk to me......
Ok

Welcome aboard

I'm gonna let the Starfire guys elaborate.
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM

There are lots of people here that will be glad to help you. You may need to be a little more specific though. Do you have a link to the ad for the car for us to check out or some pictures or anything? Good luck with her if you get it and keep us all up to date on your progress with it. You will find the people of these forums very helpful and knowledgeable
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM

This will require both feet and both your wallet and credit card. TLC on 61 Starfires cost a lotta bucks,mainly because very few parts are repoped and a short production run make good donor cars hard to find, great looking cars though. Love to see progress pictures as you work on your build...Tedd
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Welcome to CO

The starefire convert is a great looking car and when restored is a real eye catcher. There are a couple of beauties on the site. Use the search function on the header bar and you will find them. Good luck with your future purchase
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Ahoy Matey!!

Welcome to the site Sir.
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:47 PM

A bit more info

So just a little more about the car. Its in decent overall condition. Red on Red. Looks like a repaint probably 15 years ago or so. Paint/body are okay. No apparent rust. Upholstery is shot. Running gear is good. Comes with a good 61 sedan donor.
So I'm wondering.
1) Total production numbers?
2) Any idea of the value "as is"?
3) Resources for parts?
4) Anything else????
Hope to see more replies soon.....
Old January 21st, 2012, 05:54 AM

Here's a link to the auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-...item27c270b7e1
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:23 AM

All sfires in 61 were converts. Only problem besides cash that I see could be the RARE Sfire trim. Sheetmetal is interchangeable as well as mechanical with other 61's. Some of the wide side trim may? be reproduced in limited quantity....not sure on that but expense will surely be your friend with this one. As for price, where it is now I would say is reaching the top. But I have paid more than probable worth for cars I have to have. These cars are not so scarce that others cannot be located so jump if you must or drop back and watch for a while. Cali cars should be pretty rust/rot free but I would be concerned about it since it is a conv.
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:30 AM

As has been pointed out, mechanical, and much chrome of a SF is interchangeable with other model Oldsmobiles, most notably, the 88.

I take it the car does not run? What is the rust situation. It looks as though the trunk does not close. Why? Has the car been smacked in the rear?

It is just a matter of how much money you are willing to put into it? Redoing the interior will not be cheap!
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:50 AM

Let's see if I can add some more info. I have spoken with the seller a couple times. and I have physically seen/touched the car.
He has owned it for 10 years. Been inside a storage shop as is for the ten years. He says it will run but the fuse block had gotten wet at one time, and has some corrosion issues. This car has a motor/trani out of a 62 olds. (394) He does have a complete 1961 4 door hardtop that is included with the sale. It is in simular shape and he was going to swap the motor/trani out to get the correct date code back into the starfire. He was also going to use all of the best chrome/ss parts from the two on the starfire. The trunk latch hardware has been removed for some reason, so it is held shut with a bungee. I believe the hardware is there as well as the trim piece.
I appreicate the info so far, and I'd love to hear some more thoughts...
Thanx...
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:52 AM

Oops, also wanted to add that it appears to be a 15 (or so) year old restoration. No visible signes of rust, bubbling or issues. Sheetmetal is very straight. Paint is okay, nicked up here and there. Has a heavy clear coat over it that is failig on the trunk lid.
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:47 AM

As I look over the Ebay photos it doesn't look that bad. Most of the hard to get parts look good( side trim,bumpers, bows ect.). If one of the 394s and a Slimjim are usable,( do not need to be rebuilt) this may not be as expensive as I thought.This looks to be a very doable project. You will still have the usual expenses paint upholstery some body work and chrome to attend to but that happens with all restoration projects, it's the rebuild of a 394 and a Slimjim that can add up in a hurry, plus you gotta put up with that quirky Slimjim the rest of your life if you do.
I don't know the numbers but this should be a fairly rare car,I can't remember the last time I saw one at a car show..Nothing better than a classic 60's cruiser dressed in red...Tedd
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by sprayberry1
1) Total production numbers?
7,600. The seller states "less than 8,000 built," and he's actually correct.

Prior to 1961, the last time Olds used the Starfire name on any of its cars was on the '57 98. It was called the 98 Starfire.

For '61, as noted, it was available only as a convertible, and it wasn't its own series. Rather it was an option in the Super 88 series. It became its own series starting in 1962, and it was also offered as a 2-door coupe starting that year.

2) Any idea of the value "as is"?
The Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a 1961 Starfire in complete but needing full restoration (#4) condition, which I think is a pretty good description of this car, at $7,600. I see that, at the moment, the current high bid on that auction is $6,600. That would seem to a good price for whoever ends up getting it if it sells for that.

In my opinion, that car will be a lot of fun for whoever ends up with it. I hope it's you. Yes, you will have to spend some money to get it back up to snuff, but you don't have to do that all at once or on any particular schedule. The fun is in the doing as much as it is in the having.
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:49 PM

Any idea if there are upholstery kits available for this car? Or would it have to be custom re-upholstered?
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM

one of the olds only places have new seat covers, but I can't remember which one, and I don't know about the starfire. I was looking for my 59 so that was what I was paying attention to.
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:48 PM
Mak

Do it... I mean, c'mon, it's RED!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vavZ25wM6W0

Last edited by Mak; January 21st, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:54 AM

Yeh, Sammy and I go way back.
Thanx....
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:25 AM

Very cool car, I know were the is a '61 convertible, 60K actual miles, baby blue sitting in a 92 YO guys dirt floor garage. He bought it new, ran it in the summers up until about 20 years ago (He'll tell you its been 2 years).The ground hawgs have burrowed the floor up so there is dirt as high as the doors. I have offered to pull it out, and help him with repairs, but he wont have nothing to do with that. The interior still has the plastic on it and looks brand new. I asked him if someone came up and laid out $20k, if he would sell it, he just smiled.

Last edited by cutlassjim; January 22nd, 2012 at 05:31 AM.