General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Jamesbo.... My Next Project

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2010, 05:09 AM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo.... My Next Project

Well I was going to put the new trunk mat set in the Cutlass over the weekend, and when I moved the spare, this is how the jack looks! Not beautiful!! So now I need to know how to re-finish it.... in the "correct" way, of course! I think the up/down lever is permanently rusted in place.

It does have an original sticker on it, Jamesbo!!!

ACtrunkjack005.jpg

ACtrunkjack004.jpg

And it left some rust on the floor. Now I need to get rid of that too.

ACtrunkjack003.jpg
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Captain of my ship

That's one thing you learn about old cars , it's always something. you are going to have to learn by doing it yourself. Not sure if you can get another sticker but maybe try Fusicks. if you want to keep the original sticker on it and refinish it then it can be done but a little more time consuming. i have faith in you sandy.
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks Wolfie!! What is the "correct" paint for the jack??? Not that anyone is gonna see it under the spare!! Do I just sand it and paint it?
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Hey Sandy,
The correct way to do it would be to bead blast it with a fine abrasive such as aluminum oxide to remove the rust. Maybe someone in your area has a blasting cabinet or a service available through a machine shop. I would then use a self etching primer on both the post and jack mechanism.
Eastwood sells some good DIY paints in spray cans. The black looks to be a gloss black (maybe satin) The post looks to be a plating of some sort? but not sure on the finish. Eastwood has a catalogue and I believe it available on-line to see some samples of the colors.
Fusick might have the stickers and I know they have the rubber pads, sleeve and hardware if you want to replace.

Good Luck
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Registered

As Sergeant Schultz would say "I know nothing!"

Whatchu talkin' about Sandy?
That ain't no thang.

Be my guest Jamesbo, you have the most recent jack finishing experience.

I'm the underhood cat Sandy, I don't do jack, that ain't my job....man.
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Captain of my ship

the best way to get rid of the rust would be to sand blast it or bead blast but bead blasting would be more expensive. sometimes body shops will let you use their sand blaster if you buy the sand and pay a little extra. the post should not be painted and I would use a semi gloss black on the rest.
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Go to Home Depot. Get a a gallon or two of Zep Zinc/Rust remover. Sand down the heavy scale on the parts. Get a large enough container to completely submerge the parts. Let it sit over night. Rust should be completely gone. Primer and paint accordingly.
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Sandy looks like The Prettiest One has a few hidden secrets.
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Cutlass Lover

Yep.... typical female - full of secrets, LOL!! At least they're not too bad, so far! I'm gonna quit moving things around, and her secrets will be safe!
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM

Well, At least ya finally found the sticker.

Jacks are kinda tricky cause de mechanical part of the jack don't come off unless ya pinch in de stops [dats spose to keep it from coming off]. I've done it both ways 1] pinch in de stops and take de jack a part and sand/ media blast de piece seperately 2] slide de jack up and down de shaft and clean it.

Fusick's has de new sticker and new rubber shaft cover. IMHO it's the stupidest thing ever made. If you want to put on a new rubber cover cut the ole one off and use alcohol [rubbing not drinking] to lube the rubber before sliding it on the shaft.

Problem with cleaning de goldy/ green off de shaft is most of the paint is a little too green to get de correct color.

My vote is to hide it under de tire and hope fer de best. De trunk mat will hide de rust on the trunk floor.
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo.... I already thought of just hiding it again! LOL!! But now that I know it's there, my conscience won't let me do it. I'll get it done the best I can. Now I have to figure out which spatter paint they used in the trunk... I see Fusicks has a black/gray combo, and a gray/white combo. I think hers is the gray/white, but it's hard to tell.

Are jacks all different?? Or can you use a jack from one car on another one??
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:45 PM

VHT "chassis black" spray paint would be what I would use. It's the closest thing I've found to the black paint that GM used on most of our cars. Or you could contact Fusicks and go that route. Just my opinion.
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Cutlass Lover

Thank you guys.... I appreciate your opinions and help, believe me!!!
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal

Are jacks all different?? Or can you use a jack from one car on another one??
Most I've seen are black. Every now and then ya see a grey one. There are sum minor variations in the bases and the shaft, Whatcha got is by far the most common one.
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Jamesbo would be too huge a project - better stick to your car instead...

A fine wirebrush or sandpaper will take of that light rust in the trunk. Then just spot paint it for protection. It is hidden under the tire anyway. I think your trunk looks to nice original to warrant a complete repaint. Just my opinion of course....

Some good advice on the jack has been given - just sand and paint!
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
It is hidden under the tire anyway. I think your trunk looks to nice original to warrant a complete repaint.
Rob,

Unless I read her wrong, it's also hidden under her new trunk mat. Sandy do as little as possible,
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Cutlass Lover

Thank you Rob! That's what I was going to do... just sand and touch up. I figured I should get some of that spatter paint so it would be "correct" - though if I catch anyone in the trunk moving my spare tire and mat to look at the floor, I'm gonna kick their a$$!!

Should I put some of that rust encapsulator stuff on it after sanding and before I paint, or just paint?? Could I just use like a gray rustoleum and forget about the spatter paint?

Jamesbo.... I don't plan on working too hard on it! Now tell me something..... the jack lift part with the sticker.... how does it go on the jacking mechanism itself?? Does that little "bar" that goes across the lift part just slide into the other part? I don't know how to describe it..... nevermind. I'll have Bluevista show me!
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:40 AM

Jack 101

1] find car keys
2] figger out which is trunk key
3] Open trunk
4] Stick head inside look'in up at bottom of trunk lid
5] See Jack instructions decal

See thar, Ya don't need Blue fer dis one.
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo..... These instructions? LOL!!!!

underhoodpics001-2.jpg?t=1269961987
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:23 AM

Eureka
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Registered

Jamesbo..... These instructions? LOL!!!!

You're trunk spatter paint shoud be turquoise- dark blue and grey flecks - PPG code DX 1758.

Gloss black lacquer for black parts, paint film on water dip-tank immersion technique to apply.
The shaft is plated.

Get a small hydraulic jack in a carrying case at the store, sto' to you Jamesbo.
Don't ever use that thing to jack up your car.
It's a weapon to teach lessons.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista

Get a small hydraulic jack in a carrying case at the store, sto' to you Jamesbo.
Don't ever use that thing to jack up your car.

Sandy, I'm wit Blue on dis one. We call dem small hydraulic jacks "Bottle Jacks" down ere.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Captain of my ship

Blue is absolutely correct in saying to never use that jack on your car , unless you don't care about scratches on your bumper. It is only for show. You do need to have a small hydraulic jack in case of emergency , even those later screw up types that you put under the frame is better.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Cutlass Lover

.......sto' to you Jamesbo.

Now that's funny!!!!!

The paint doesn't look turquoise to me.... Does it to you? I've read that before, and have wondered why her trunk is not turquoise color.... Do I have to re paint the whole trunk???? The mat will hide most of it anyhow!

underhoodpics002-2.jpg?t=1269966153

ACtrunkjack003.jpg

Jamesbo..... I ordered some "correct" decals and the radiator cap from Fusick a few minutes ago! Oh yea.... my tire pressure sticker and one other one are on the inside of the glove box lid!!! Correct placement for 72!!
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Looking closely at the big pics you posted, it actually does look more like turquoise. At first glance I would have guessed grey/black.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:01 AM

XXXX4444 on the jack. Never, ever use that bumper jack, good way to maim of kill oneself.

Bottle jack is the term I have always used and heard.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:17 AM

looking closely....

I bet those rust stains will just come off the trunk paint, first try a little elbow grease and a good cleaner, if no, then try a little mineral spirits, if no a little lacquer thinner, but VERY little and put the thinner on the rag first. they also sell a cleanser to remove rust stains from your bathtub that might work too... then a brillo pad used gently as worse case scenario, I am thinking 98% of that rust just came off the jack through condensation etc

ok back under my rock

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; March 30th, 2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: could be interpreted really badly LOL....added "the thinner"
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM

.......sto' to you Jamesbo.

Now that's funny!!!!!

The paint doesn't look turquoise to me.... Does it to you? I've read that before, and have wondered why her trunk is not turquoise color.... Do I have to re paint the whole trunk???? The mat will hide most of it anyhow!

Jamesbo..... I ordered some "correct" decals and the radiator cap from Fusick a few minutes ago! Oh yea.... my tire pressure sticker and one other one are on the inside of the glove box lid!!! Correct placement for 72!!
Good for you.

Now those jack instruction decals on de trunk lid look kinda yellowed out "Might as well'
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Cutlass Lover

But Jamesbo..... They're original and I like them! Doesn't original count?? Can't have everything looking like brand new - that just wouldn't be "correct" on a 38 year old car! Takes away all the old character!
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by W-30 Dan
Looking closely at the big pics you posted, it actually does look more like turquoise. At first glance I would have guessed grey/black.

That one pic does have a bluish tint to it, but could of been the lighting?? I don't know. I swear when I look in the trunk it looks black/gray to me? We'll see what Blue thinks.

Thanks for crawling out from under your rock, Eddie! I never thought of like a bath tub cleaner.... maybe I'll try a little Soft Scrub or CLR and see what that does. It's not deep rust into the floor... it's just kinda on top there.

I just want to get it off so I can put down the mats. I'll be putting a towel or something under the jack when I get it cleaned up and painted, so if it ever does that again, it's not going to ruin my mat! Of course it will be on that big black rubber Olds mat then!

I would never use that bumper jack.... I remember back in the day when they were used, and they always scared me! I will get a little bottle jack in a case. Of course if I ever have a flat, I'm calling Triple A or Hagerty!
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Jamesbo would be too huge a project

Rob,

I represent that remark.

My wife thinks I'm a career choice not a "project"
Old March 30th, 2010, 01:48 PM

But Jamesbo..... They're original and I like them! Doesn't original count?? Can't have everything looking like brand new - that just wouldn't be "correct" on a 38 year old car! Takes away all the old character!
Original doesn't matter anymore since the car has skunk stripes on the hood and trunk lid.
Old March 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well, I didn't put them there!! She still has character......
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM

I like her anyway.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:16 PM

I hate to tell you all but that trunk spatter does not look original to me. It looks like it has been re-sprayed. The original was black with light gray (almost white) and a hint of aqua. The texture was not as rough as most people make it now--kinda smooth to the touch. The "spots" were bigger and more out-of-round than what comes out of today spray cans. The sizes of the "spots" were very inconsistent. Honestly, even in concours show cars, and I 've been playing with these cars a looooooooooong time, I don't remember ever seeing a re-spattered trunk that appeared exactly as an original. The trunks were not done as precisely as we would like to think and varied from year to year as well as from different plants, shifts, etc. Everyone has to remember----they built 60 of these cars every HOUR.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Registered

Jumpin' Jack Flash

What a tangled web...
Hey Sandy, I found a can of Eastwood trunk splatter paint in my garage today when I was sterilizing it to accept The Stripest One.
You're welcome to play with my can if you want.
I agree that that the rust will probably just wash off, the mat covers all that and the jack anyway.

Don't use that lug wrench either, that you should keep that baby under the front seat.

Are those stripes painted or a decal of some type?
When they cut and buff it they could just cut a little harder on the trunk lid.

I think they may have sprayed the jack parts, probably got them from the supplier already painted with the stickers and did nothing.
They actually did have a layer of paint floating on water dip technique for painting a lot of brackets and other parts.
I have a rolling floor jack in my carrying case.
Also have jackstands and a bunch of assorted lumber chunks in the Vista.
You have to jack the thing up about three feet for the wheel to come off the ground in the back. I use the jack up and jack up rear end then jack up technique.
Larry could surface that jack good I bet.
Does he do engine turned steel surfacing?
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
I hate to tell you all but that trunk spatter does not look original to me. It looks like it has been re-sprayed. The original was black with light gray (almost white) and a hint of aqua. The texture was not as rough as most people make it now--kinda smooth to the touch. The "spots" were bigger and more out-of-round than what comes out of today spray cans. The sizes of the "spots" were very inconsistent. Honestly, even in concours show cars, and I 've been playing with these cars a looooooooooong time, I don't remember ever seeing a re-spattered trunk that appeared exactly as an original. The trunks were not done as precisely as we would like to think and varied from year to year as well as from different plants, shifts, etc. Everyone has to remember----they built 60 of these cars every HOUR.
Who said they were built precisely?
They got that paint all over everything, hinges, inner quarters, all the seam sealer that flung out of the guns and was left in worm-like shapes and globs all over the place. I swear the same guy did a bunch of the 70-72 Vistas, they all have the same exact glob on the secret compartment floor, sort of a Nike swoosh.
You have to seal it with an acrylic clear after you spray it to make it more durable and smoother.
The '72 color chip chart says Turquoise, all I know.
Sandy's car is a very original low mileage survivor, other than the paint job it hasn't been messed with much and is in really nice condition.
I'll check it out and see if it has been repainted though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1972-oldsmobile-pg01.jpg (42.5 KB, 12 views)
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM

I didn't know that cleaning up a trunk floor and painting a jack was such a big deal. That kind of gets me down. I have to fix up a whole car.

Oh well I'll get over it.

I'm over it.
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Cutlass Lover

I'm glad you're over it, Andy!! I'm gettin a headache!!! I'm just about to say the hell with it, LOL!! Just kidding... I will get the trunk and the jack all prettied up to my satisfaction.

Dave... I don't know if the trunk was re painted or not. It is very smooth.... not rough in there. I swear to God it's black and grayish in color.... but what do I know? I have read before that it's supposed to be the turquoisish color for the 72.

I have written to the previous owner because there is so much I would like to know about the car and what all he did to it- like WHY DID YOU PUT STRIPES ON HER TRUNK - would be my first question! He never answers me. That's why I need to get a posse of Texans together to go hunt him down and get me some answers!!

Rob.... the former owner of her owns (or owned) the "Down Under Pub" in Frisco Tx. if you know where that is! I think they have one in Tyler Tx. too. Send a posse!! I want answers!!!!!!

Bluevista....... I'll be playin with your can alright!!!!! Quit callin her The Stripest One... and the Greenist One. She is THE PRETTIEST ONE!!!!!!!!!!!! You are such a shi*!! I like that paint chart..... She is Pinehurst Green!! Aaahhhhh.......
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:36 AM

They are original AND in the wrong places, according to the assy manual... Right locations, but swapped. Just goes to show that the line workers did not always follow the directions.
I would leave em - maybe see if they will clean up a little.

Rob.... the former owner of her owns (or owned) the "Down Under Pub" in Frisco Tx. if you know where that is! too. Send a posse!! I want answers!!!!!!
That is not too far from me (about 25 minutes) - in fact my sister lives in that city.
Sounds like a neat place to make a ride to, if it is still there. What's the guy's name?

Now if all the Olds owners around here will just get their cars back together (me included), we will be able to make a posse!

Quit callin her ... the Greenist One.
How about just "Greenie"?

Quick Reply: Jamesbo.... My Next Project