General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Interesting tidbit about future OCA Nationals in JWO

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2013, 09:18 AM

Interesting tidbit about future OCA Nationals in JWO

Received my August issue of JWO the other day, and I was interested to see a small mention in the "Talk to the Judge" column by Ed Konsmo about the hosting of future OCA National meets. He says that,

"after 2014, we'll very likely be using the services of a company that specializes in producing events like our National Meet. What that will mean is chapters will no longer provide the staffing for a National Meet."

Doesn't this break a tradition that goes back to the founding of the OCA? Not that I think it's a bad idea or anything, and maybe it's overdue, but I do think it's interesting that this follows closely on the heels of the GMO chapter withdrawing from doing the 2015 show.

What does "GMO" stand for, anyway? I think it might be "Greater Massachusetts Oldsmobile". But then their full name would be "Eastern Massachusetts Greater Massachusetts Oldsmobile Club" which doesn't sound right.
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:25 AM
72 Olds CS

I think it gallant men of olds....
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:30 AM

I see on the OCA website that the 2015 National Meet will be July 21-26 in Brookfield, Wisconsin. It says that this city was chosen after evaluating 19 possibilities.

I kind of wonder now how host cities will be chosen. In the past it would be whatever chapter was selected to host the event, so that limited it to being in cities where chapters were located and whatever chapters chose to submit a bid for that year.

But with their new policy of letting a professional event-staging company handle the show, it could be located anywhere. I'm sure they'll still try to keep it near centers of large Oldsmobile ownership, but it would be fun to see it in a few places that haven't traditionally had the show.
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
I think it gallant men of olds....
Really? That's cool.
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:33 AM

I was at the nats and after talking to several members about this I think it is a great idea, it will free up the host members to show their cars and enjoy the meet without stress.
The club will not be paying for this service, the company will be getting paid by the hotels from what I was told. The host chapter would be responsible for the tours in the area and I think volunteer for parking.
I think this might help the club to keep members stress free.
Steve
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Oldskeeper
The club will not be paying for this service, the company will be getting paid by the hotels from what I was told.
This is interesting. From the OCA standpoint, it would seem to be a no-brainer, and I wonder why they didn't do this 10 years ago.

But I kind of wonder about the host hotel point of view. Before, they didn't pay the OCA or anyone anything for providing the rooms, did they? Maybe just a discounted room rate for show attendees? Or did they kick something back to the OCA? I don't know.

But if they haven't in the past had to send part of their earnings to the OCA or anyone else, will be they be as interested in even being a host hotel? Will the rates be higher if they have to send some fraction of what they take in to the hosting company?
Old August 8th, 2013, 09:58 AM

I think they get a cut from every room rented out and a cut from the food, like everything else just a little graff along the way.
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:01 AM

Thanks. I think it's a little unfair to call it graft. That implies criminal activity. The hosting company needs to make money somehow. There's nothing wrong with that.
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Unless there were some input from OCA, it would seem to potentially allow the hosting company to choose the venue, regardless of where the members may choose. In other words, if the Hilton in Bum *** Idaho provides bigger kickback than say, the Marriot in Lansing...you'll be showing your Oldsmobiles to a field full of Idaho potatoes regardless of whether you think it was a good choice or not.

It has a plus side, sure, but let's see how it goes. Tread lightly my friends.
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
In other words, if the Hilton in Bum *** Idaho provides bigger kickback than say, the Marriot in Lansing...you'll be showing your Oldsmobiles to a field full of Idaho potatoes
I doubt this will happen for the simple reason that the OCA is not going to hold a show that is hundreds of miles from the nearest OCA member regardless of how good a deal a host hotel or event-staging company might offer. They don't want a show where 20 cars show up and the OCA membership is complaining its collective head off. I'm guessing show locations will still be in population centers.

Personally, I'd like to see them maybe at different times of the year or in areas that haven't had one recently or ever. How about southern California? Or, instead of July all the time, how about Phoenix in October?

Phoenix in the summer is too hot, but other times of the year the weather is just fine. Think of the tours that might be arranged. There's plenty of desert junkyards to keep OCA members happy. And, with a population in the greater Phoenix area of almost 4 million people, it's certainly big enough to justify placing a show there.

Some years ago, the National Antique Olds Club, a much smaller club, held its annual show in Prescott, Arizona.

I know none of this will ever happen, but it's fun to think about.
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Lansing built

I will weigh in, I was at the general membership for the first 20 mins. I to heard the same information! Also we need to think of our OCA members getting up in age and for the most part these people are not getting replaced 1 for 1.

Also, I heard that OCA will be holding the reigns, and as mentioned before tours and etc. chapter duty. Judging wise, I thought I heard that they will be assigning judges to the classes???? Don't jump to any conclusions until we hear from the OCA on the details.

According to Mr. Wilson, they picked that site (2015) due to hotels, access to major highways, eateries and airports.

Maybe this will open the door for Lansing in the future for a national meet. As a sidebar, I spoke with some of the Homecoming board members about hosting a national and received a big fat no way in hell were giving up on Homecoming! My quote" nobody asked you to". Still the response was like a murdered some ones child!

Pat
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Judging wise, I thought I heard that they will be assigning judges to the classes???? Don't jump to any conclusions until we hear from the OCA on the details.
This was mentioned very briefly in that same Ed Konsmo column. Right after the mention of the change in how the shows will be hosted, he says "This also includes the process for the organizing of the judging teams which will more than likely change."

Originally Posted by 1970cs
As a sidebar, I spoke with some of the Homecoming board members about hosting a national and received a big fat no way in hell were giving up on Homecoming! My quote" nobody asked you to". Still the response was like a murdered some ones child!
This doesn't surprise me. I think they're worried that if a Nationals were hosted by them, it would upstage or even eliminate their own Homecoming show that year.

I remember that when the Centennial Celebration was held back in 1997, the OCA made the decision that this event would mean that there would be no OCA Nationals that year as having the two events in the same summer would be redundant and for other reasons. This decision didn't sit well with everyone as some thought that, with the Centennial in mid-August, a regular Nationals in, maybe, June, which would have been two months earlier, wouldn't have interfered. (They also decided that there'd be no judging, which really didn't sit well with some members.) Especially if the Nationals were held far from Lansing as not everyone was able to get to Lansing for the Centennial either because of the timing or the distance. It's kinda sorta the same thing here. One show upstaging the other.
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:57 AM

I'm not that impressed with the OCA anyway, so it's not like I'm super-optimistic about their choices.

But I'm not going to buy that OCA will still hold all the reigns. When there's money involved and someone else has a hand in it- let's just say I'm not pessimistic about it, but I'm not eternally hopeful either.
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:11 PM

I believe that chapters will still have to make
a presentation for the nationals and the OCA will decide after a consoltation with the company and hears their input.I heard that Wisconson is getting the show in 2015. We should check out Leverne and Shirley's work place while were there!
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:28 PM

I heard that Wisconson is getting the show in 2015.
It says this on the OCA website.
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM

We should check out Leverne and Shirley's work place while were there!
Maybe they'll have free beer!
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM

-

More money to be made by the event-planning company if the location is more convenient to more members...won't be in potatoville.
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:05 PM

We used outside services when we hosted the Nationals in Bowling Green a few years ago. The company that we worked with was very helpful with manpower and connections to other services needed. It would have been an enormous challenge for our small club without the help.

I am sure the Lansing chapter has worked on their Homecoming show to minimize the manpower needed. I would guess that is why they let the show cars park where they may. To put on a major show like this every year is a lot of work and they should be commended on the outstanding job they do. The homecoming show keeps growing and growing.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:28 AM

After talking with Ashley Jones at that Nat's this year it sounds like the Homecoming show in Lansing crushes that Nationals from a car and spectator total. I haven't been to the Homecoming before, but I was in Lansing for the 100th and 105th and was really impressed with the turnout and organization both times. Felt like the show field was a little 'light' in Springfield this year with what appeared to be numerous "no-shows".
Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:40 AM

Elephant, it doesn't surprise me to hear this, for several reasons.

The Homecoming is at the same time every year in the same place. It has a long history of being a very good show, and that kind of reputation year after year will only bring more visitors in future years.

I've heard people say that they make the homecoming show their main Olds event each year rather than trying to get to the Nationals. Third, Michigan is right in the geographical center of the Oldsmobile hobby. While I think California actually has more OCA members than any other state, I think maybe Ohio and Michigan are #2 and #3 with maybe Illinois and Indiana not far behind.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Lansing built

Homecoming is the largest Oldsmobile show. Usually 500+ cars, huge swap area and thousands of spectators!
Don't expect the show car field to be organized, it has been an open show for roughly the 3-4 years. Down side is that you can't just go to one or more of your favorite era or body style. Plus side is you can sit with a buddy and your cars even though he may have 84 Hurst and you have a 70's cutlass.

The 100th show was lead by GM/Oldsmobile with volunteers from the club and Oldsmobile. 2200-2500 cars.

The 105th was lead by the chapter and volunteers from many chapters and some support from GM to get streets closed and the Lansing center for displays and some financial backing. 1200 cars with REO, Durant and Star.

Pat
Former head chairman of Homecoming
105th committee chair person.