General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Interesting 67 442

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2021, 12:10 PM

Interesting 67 442

Not mine.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...2/2042702.html

This looks to be a run of the mill 67 442 automatic convertible that got a lot of options thrown at it during the restoration, and achieved a one-of-none via creative use of a bracket.

Old April 12th, 2021, 02:08 PM

True, but appears to be-a well done Franken442..beautiful car, to bad with the package they didn’t change it to a 4 speed bench seat car.
Old April 12th, 2021, 02:18 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Better yet would be 4-speed and bucket seats.
Old April 12th, 2021, 04:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

Imagine that...

A total resto that added every option in the book.

It should tell you something that the "seller's description" says exactly NOTHING about the car. Another one-of-none 66-67 "W-30" convertible, and power brakes to boot. To quote the line from American Graffiti, "...what a waste of machinery."

Also interesting is that when you go to the dealer's website and search for Stock #: PC1323, this is what you get:

Old April 12th, 2021, 04:19 PM

I was happily looking at all those pretty parts then the ragtop and the battery levitating off the trunk shelf clicked, and I said, hrrrrrrm.
Old April 12th, 2021, 05:17 PM

Its listed as a 67 442, no claim that I can see to it being anything other than a 67 442, obviously they chose to option it out. Not real sure what is so sacrilegious about that. Am I missing something here? I mean how many cars are restored with added options? Probably 90%? But to-each their own..I guess I lean towards a purist heart but cannot be 100% defined that way, maybe purist in the way that options added should be the way somebody ordered a car..obviously this car went past that point.

Last edited by Andy; April 12th, 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old April 12th, 2021, 05:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Andylappin
Its listed as a 67 442, no claim that I can see to it being anything other than a 67 442, obviously they chose to option it out. Not real sure what is so sacrilegious about that. Am I missing something here? I mean how many cars are restored with added options? Probably 90%?
Kind of my point. EVERY "restored" musclecar today isn't restored, it's optioned out with every single item in the order book. When these cars were new, you rarely saw that level of options on a 442. Why order a W-30 (or even add the O.A.I. package) for performance then add quarter ton or more of luxury items. And there's a reason why the W-30 package was not available on convertibles for 66-67.
Old April 12th, 2021, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Kind of my point. EVERY "restored" musclecar today isn't restored, it's optioned out with every single item in the order book. When these cars were new, you rarely saw that level of options on a 442. Why order a W-30 (or even add the O.A.I. package) for performance then add quarter ton or more of luxury items. And there's a reason why the W-30 package was not available on convertibles for 66-67.
I hear what your saying...People are all different, many love optioned out muscle, many do not I guess. Its a beautiful car.
Old April 12th, 2021, 06:07 PM

Joe objects to the optioning out. I don't particularly mind it, as long as the car could come with it. A convertible body was not a w-30 or track pack, as it couldn't fit the battery where the convertible top goes. Using the bracket they did was a stretch, and definitely should have been disclosed, as it is incorrect, and deviates from being a restored car in stock condition to a custom. Custom things are fine, as long as they are disclosed, but this was not disclosed, which is why I posted it. To borrow your term, I find taking liberties with a car during restoration then not disclosing them to be sloppy when done unintentionally, and sacrilegious when done intentionally.

I'll give an example. I have a 67 442. I will restore it. I have collected a lot of options to put on it. One of them is an Oldsmobile reverberator kit, which never came on an Olds A body. I thought, when I bought it, that it came on 66 Olds A body, but it only came on big cars. It gives me pause to put it on an Olds A body, more pause than it would if it were on a 66 but not a 67 (since they are very close). If I have an issue with that, I definitely have an issue with putting OAI on a body that didn't ever have it, and for a good reason.

Edit: Additionally, there aren't that many of those shrouds around, they should be kept for W-30s and hard roof 442s that could legitimately be track pack cars.
Old April 13th, 2021, 02:51 AM

So the industry/ hobby should define new terms for restoration..100% as built, 100% correct year optioned and restored custom. Then there is little doubt as to what you are buying or at minimum gives the buyer the opportunity to get all the info. Only if we lived in a perfect world.. I can see the auction houses balking at that idea. Lol
Old April 13th, 2021, 06:45 AM

That's actually the way it is. It's called "an accurate description." We do that here on this site. BJ and Mecum are not bastions of preserving the hobby.
Old April 13th, 2021, 06:45 AM

So the 67' 442 w/power antenna is in a different location then for the 66' model. I thought both the 66' & 67' had the power antenna installed closer to the tail lights then high up on the passenger side qtr panel..
Old April 13th, 2021, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
That's actually the way it is. It's called "an accurate description." We do that here on this site. BJ and Mecum are not bastions of preserving the hobby.
Well thats true, sometimes in a brutally honest way that can be interpreted as crass and a tad pompous versus trying to educate and inform. However I have learned a lot, sort of like when my dad beat my *** as a kid. Everyone has their own style, we will leave it at that.
Old April 13th, 2021, 07:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Well thats true, sometimes in a brutally honest way that can be interpreted as crass and a tad pompous versus trying to educate and inform. However I have learned a lot, sort of like when my dad beat my *** as a kid. Everyone has their own style, we will leave it at that.
C'mon. What part of "Old(s) Fart" was not clear.

And you kids stay off my lawn!
Old April 13th, 2021, 07:33 AM

So the 67' 442 w/power antenna is in a different location then for the 66' model. I thought both the 66' & 67' had the power antenna installed closer to the tail lights then high up on the passenger side qtr panel..
No, you're right, it's wrong. Same location both years, now what's interesting is that the antenna can go lower in this new location whereas it can't in the correct location.
Old April 13th, 2021, 07:52 AM

I'm not concerned with someone's style; a vehicle that has had a stock restoration should be represented as such, and any customization, while not necessarily "wrong" (like a sin against humanity) is "wrong" as in incorrect. In this case, the ad should say "1967 442 Convertible with custom track pack package" then say how no convertibles came with it due to the trunk space issues, and explain how they got around it. That, while not to my taste, would be perfectly acceptable.

That sort of thing matters to us who know a lot about these cars. If, for instance, you didn't know that there were no convertible 66 or 67 W-30s or track pack cars, it wouldn't matter to you.
Old April 13th, 2021, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
C'mon. What part of "Old(s) Fart" was not clear.

And you kids stay off my lawn!
thats funny.. lol.
Old April 13th, 2021, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I'm not concerned with someone's style; a vehicle that has had a stock restoration should be represented as such, and any customization, while not necessarily "wrong" (like a sin against humanity) is "wrong" as in incorrect. In this case, the ad should say "1967 442 Convertible with custom track pack package" then say how no convertibles came with it due to the trunk space issues, and explain how they got around it. That, while not to my taste, would be perfectly acceptable.

That sort of thing matters to us who know a lot about these cars. If, for instance, you didn't know that there were no convertible 66 or 67 W-30s or track pack cars, it wouldn't matter to you.
Well that is quite obvious!! Like I said in a perfect world it would gave been listed as such.
Old April 13th, 2021, 09:03 AM

I don't know enough about this model year. Is it normal to have the CS emblem on the decklid lock in addition to the 442 numeral plate on the decklid? My normal inclinations tend toward the '68-'72 gen, but these older, boxier, versions are beginning to grow on me. BTW, how would the body generations be referenced - what years to what generation(s)?
Old April 13th, 2021, 09:40 AM
Banned

The thing with all these over restored cars that gets on my nerves is more than likely it will go to just another car collection. It will sit with a bunch of whatever cars are there. It will probably never get driven. Just another dork that can say look what I own. I just don't understand owning cars that are nothing more than a heavy weight paperweight. They were built to drive. To stretch the legs of the motor. Do it.

This car looks beautiful in the colors that it is. Hey at least there weren't 70-72 W stripes to screw up.
Old April 13th, 2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
I don't know enough about this model year. Is it normal to have the CS emblem on the decklid lock in addition to the 442 numeral plate on the decklid? My normal inclinations tend toward the '68-'72 gen, but these older, boxier, versions are beginning to grow on me. BTW, how would the body generations be referenced - what years to what generation(s)?
Yes, that is normal. A Cutlass Supreme got a grille bar, fender badges, trunk badges that say Cutlass. Door panels, outside sail panels on solid roof cars, and trunk lock surround saying "CS." Olds rocket on the steering wheel and some variety of wheels all had the Olds rocket. Dash badge says Cutlass Supreme.

442s got 442 badges on grille bar, fender badges, trunk that say 442. Dash badge has rocket logo and 442 badge. Door panel badge stays CS, trunk lock surround stays CS, sail panel exterior badges deleted. Steering wheel and all wheels unchanged.

I think the sport coupe may have a rocket on the door panel, not a CS emblem, but I'm not sure.

Old April 13th, 2021, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
The thing with all these over restored cars that gets on my nerves is more than likely it will go to just another car collection. It will sit with a bunch of whatever cars are there. It will probably never get driven. Just another dork that can say look what I own. I just don't understand owning cars that are nothing more than a heavy weight paperweight. They were built to drive. To stretch the legs of the motor. Do it.

This car looks beautiful in the colors that it is. Hey at least there weren't 70-72 W stripes to screw up.
Both of mine are quite imperfect, but driven.
Old April 13th, 2021, 11:43 AM

thanks, Koda.
Old April 13th, 2021, 01:08 PM

The less options on a car the better I like them, lower cost for repairs and something else you don't have to worry about breaking...
Old April 13th, 2021, 01:19 PM

Very Nic e 442 needs a few tweaks but who does not after 54 YRS
Just my 2cents
Alain
Red W 31
Old April 13th, 2021, 06:28 PM

That car was a Boston GMO member's car (Steve) for a long time. I recognize it from the Sunshine Cruisers (a local club) sticker on the vent window. The car was a driver, we went to many shows and cruises together, and a couple of OCA Nats together (KY MA PA). Steve moved to the Villages in FL maybe 7-8 years ago. He had 2 442's he took with him. He always took good care of it, and it was a very reliable car for long drives. It was a good car back then. But yeah, he added stuff and did it his way. It was definitely no trailer queen, he just took real good care of it.