General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Interchange???? Help needed

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2013, 12:13 PM

Interchange???? Help needed

hey guys,
So i'm regretting buying this Delmont 88 now because I cant find ANY parts or even a car for parts anywhere. So my question is.... Are there any other GM vehicles that I can interchange parts from? or does anyone know a site that specializes with Oldsmobile Delmont88 parts? Anything would help... its a 2 door hardtop with a 7.0L 425ci engine
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM

There should be no reason why ANY mechanical part for this car not to be available. As for body and trim you need to advertise for the specific parts you need on sites such as this and there is always Ebay. At times it is easier to have your parts refurbished rather that seeking ones that are most likely in the same condition. The larger B bodys are a little tougher for non mechanical and trim parts and interior pieces are generally not reproduced.

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; May 1st, 2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: more info agin
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:46 PM

As the owner of a '67 Delta 88 (I presume yours is a '67 Delmont as you didn't say the year, but a '68 would have had a 350 or a 455), I can tell you that there are no sites that specialize in body and trim parts for the full-size Oldsmobiles. There just isn't the demand compared to, say, Chevy or Ford. As Oldsmaniac says, you'll have to advertise what you need here and on other sites, check junkyards both online and locally, and so forth. Your '67 should interchange many body parts with other full-size '67 Oldsmobiles, so that's at least one possible source of interchange parts.

Mechanical parts, though, are a different story. You should be able to get engine, drivetrain, tune-up, suspension, and brake parts relatively easily over the counter at your local auto parts store and from a variety of online sources. Some may require ordering by your local store, so you might have to wait a day or two to get them.

What, exactly, do you need in the way of mechanical parts?
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Malibukid03
... I cant find ANY parts or even a car for parts anywhere.
Really? ANY?

I'm sorry, but the Olds engine "platform" in that car was used from 1964 to 1990, and the vast majority of chassis components were used in all GM B- and C-bodied cars from about '65 to '70.

As Jaunty asked, what, specifically can't you find?

- Eric
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:06 PM

Looking for the trim parts and interior parts
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:17 PM

Those will have to come from a donor car. Many people on this site have parts for these cars laying around. It would help if you make up a specific list of what you need and post it in the parts wanted section. Be as detailed as possible ("driver's door armrest," "left-rear wheel opening molding," etc.). Once you've taken the trouble to prepare the list, it will come in handy wherever you go to look for parts, and it's easy to edit, add to, and subtract from as you find the parts you're looking for.

The object is to help others help you. Vagueness in a description, such as "I need trim parts," isn't helpful. A car can have 1,000 trim parts.
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:21 PM

I've already done it
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:44 PM

Where?
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:05 PM

In the parts wanted forum
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:13 PM

No, you didn't. I see only two threads started by you, and neither is in that forum. One is in the General Discussion forum (this thread), and the other is in the Newbie forum. Nothing wrong with where you posted the list, but it would have been nice to mention when you started this thread that you had already posted a list of what you needed somewhere so that we didn't waste time asking.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:37 AM

I have many such parts cars.

You will want to learn the concept of "nutshelling" your needs.

All the info all in one place, concise and exact.

Year and exact model. Even the VIN 35287... or whatever it is part. Yours will differ I'm sure.

Exact parts needed. Material, approximate size/ shape, and what it attaches to/ interacts with can be greatly helpful. If color and condition matter a lot, say so.

I am not spending hrs looking over my parts cars only to find that the used parts I have are not good enough.

Chris
517-449-Oh 432