General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Insurance for younger Drivers

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:20 PM

Insurance for younger Drivers

Does anyone know of an insurance company that will cover classic cars, like a 1970 Cutlass Supreme, that are driven by 20 year olds? This will NOT be a daily driver. Just want to let him drive to a car show.

My son and I have been working on his car, and Heacock and Hagerty will not insure him. It is not yet to the point where we can drive it, but we hope to be in about 3 months. But why complete it if he cannot drive it. And I do not want JUST liability!

Thanks in advacne for any hep you folks can give me.

Bill

Last edited by btrbill; July 13th, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Administrator

I don't believe any company does at a reasonable price. I looked into this with my son a few years back. What I ultimately was going to do is just put liability on it and send him on his way!

Most companies will not insure them as a daily driver!

This company was the closest I ever got.
http://www.safeco.com/personal/class...olicy-features

Last edited by oldcutlass; July 13th, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old July 13th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Ben

The classic companies will not. You should still be able to get a regular stated value policy from a regular companies- that would include comprehensive if you wanted, but in the event of a total loss (or even partial loss) you would be fighting an uphill battle to prove the cars value.

I did that for about 6 years while i lived in apartments and daily drove my 70 elcamino until i bought my house and newer daily driver vehicle in 2004.

The reason is, the classic policies keep their prices low by limiting risk. Daily driving a vehicle increases risk. Young drivers increase risk. Drivers with accidents & tickets increase risk... So they basically add requirements that prohibit them. Sucks, but it makes classic insurance possible for the rest of us.
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:38 PM

My 20 (make that 21 in 2 weeks) year old has been driving his red '70 for 2 years. No collision, just comp & liability on the family policy. I explained to him HE better not hit anybody or be @ fault as repairing his car will come out of his bank acct!

Partly by nature & maybe some incentive he drives w/ restraint. I had also explained to him that there is no hiding that car on the road & I know a lot of people. I have had people see him driving & they comment that he is more reserved than they would be in that thing. He knows he gets to go to track day once or twice a year & beat it.
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM

In Canada, if you have collector car insurance you must have been driving for 10 years before being allowed to drive a classic car with collector ins. So a 20 year old wouldn't qualify here. My 26 year old son ( in 2 weeks 27) just qualified to drive my 442. Not a bad thing, IMO.
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. To be clear, he has a 2011 FJ he uses as his daily driver, as well as a 2012 GMC Ambulance for work! He only wants to drive the Cutlass to car shows and the occasional date with his soon to be fiance.

We may have to go with just liability for a while...

When I was 18, I had a 72 442 Convertible, and 3 weeks before leaving for basic training, I had a little run-in with a mosquito-spraying truck. Dad and I spent the next 3 weeks going to junk yards finding parts and fixing the car, and getting it painted Matador Red. While I was gone, he painted gold stripes on it. After that, I got an agreed value policy from Lloyds of London for $400 a year. Anyone know if that is still available?
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:25 PM

I've had Hagerty classic car insurance since I was 19. You must show them that everyone in the house has a daily driven automobile and they will not give you limits (ie 20,000/40,000) any higher than on your regular car insurance policy.
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I don't believe any company does at a reasonable price. I looked into this with my son a few years back. What I ultimately was going to do is just put liability on it and send him on his way!

Most companies will not insure them as a daily driver!

This company was the closest I ever got.
http://www.safeco.com/personal/class...olicy-features
Addendum to earlier posting:

I double checked again with USAA and they do not insure a classic as a DD. They American collector car insurance. Comp and Collision are $74 more a year, but with a total loss the car would be worth fair market value, basically its weight in scrap.

To date, there are no insurance companies that will insure my car, as a DD, to drive to work and back. Mind you I live in a small town and commute 3.5 miles to work.

So good luck in your quest, and if you do find someone, please let me know!
Old July 13th, 2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 85CieraHoliday
I've had Hagerty classic car insurance since I was 19. You must show them that everyone in the house has a daily driven automobile and they will not give you limits (ie 20,000/40,000) any higher than on your regular car insurance policy.
Must have changed, because that is exactly who i have been trying to use the last three days! In order to underwrite me, I have to provide pics of the cars in a locked garage (which is no problem) and have me and my 20 year old son sign an exclusion form saying he will not be covered. They did say if he helps with the restoration, they will insure him at 24, but I have to provide several pics of him working on the car at different stages.

I just got off the phone with Safeco, (thanks Oldcutlass) and was read their driver exclusions for Classic Car insurance... As long as they are not the PRIMARY insured, a driver 19 and up CAN be insured to operate the vehicle if you can show proof they have other transportation. Looks like we might be going with Safeco depending on the cost...

Last edited by btrbill; July 13th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Just be sure you understand what they are offering, between stated and agreed value. They are are very different when it comes to what happens at the time of a total loss.