General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

insurance claim on 75 omega

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2012, 08:20 AM

I'm interested in this too.I know that the Inc company's have got the cost of re pairs so high that sometimes they own the repair shops.Its like taking the money out of one pocket and putting it in another.they also make deals with shops getting a lower rate for giving all their work to a few shops.I think I would opt for plan b.Don't get me wrong I don't want to be in your shoes.
railguy
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:19 AM

If the frame isn't bent, it could probably be fixed pretty cheap and easy.

Search eBay and car-part.com for parts.

When I totaled my Delta, Allstate said that they would have fixed the car ifI didn't bend the frame. They valued the car at $5,800 and put the damage at $5,100, said if would have only cost $1500 to fix, minus the frame damage.

Mine looked like this

Old January 25th, 2012, 10:35 AM

I believe your car has 'bumper absorbers' connected to a 'bumper reinforcement'.
The yards usually save them as a unit - at least did, a few years ago!
The shops that take insurance co. 'direct repairs' usually are 'sub-quality', but occasionally you find some good ones!
I'd check-out the shop, with a couple hundred in my pocket, and see the attitude of the manager - if it's good, a little monetary help may get the whole car painted!!
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
the yards usually save them as a unit - at least did, a few years ago!
Good point. But how many yards today will save a bumper from a '75 Omega?
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:08 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-79-CHEV...#ht_500wt_1089

Here's a bumper...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/74-75-GTO-NO...r#ht_894wt_918

Last edited by 74 Omega; January 25th, 2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added new link
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 74 Omega
Here's a bumper...
That's a nice looking one, but with shipping it's almost $300. It will be interesting to see what the body shop ultimately quotes to fix the OP's car.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Registered Luser

remember, once the shop gets hold of the car, you no longer have possesion! They may find "hidden" damage, and have to write a "supplement estimate". At which point, the car will probably total. Looking at the damage, I'd take the money and run. Finding a used taillight and bumper shouldnt be too expensive. Or you could save the money you get, save a little more, sell your car for what you can get and buy a better one!
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:55 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What year was your VW? How long ago did this happen?
it was a 1997 that happened in 07

"fixing the car is not guaranteed to happen... be prepared to be handed a check for the value of the car."

I completely agree w this also...

never let the car leave your possesion !!!!

now when they lowball you you dont have the property any more and they will put you on the hook for storage and transport should you want it back

I would expect them to offer in the 5-800 dollar range

let us know what happens
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Make sure you nickel and dime them if they skimp.

You can usually easily find 1-2 k worth of parts on ANYTHING when you break pricing down to every little good remaining piece.

these trim screws are 8.99 on ebay. this driver's side seat belt clip sells on ebay for $40. The steering wheel and column with all of it's $30 switches is worth $200

etc.etc.

A $500 car that has 2
$500 dollar parts inside it, just with a running motor and trans..... sounds like it's worth 1k already. Doesn't matter what some book, or some suit says.

Ask the ins what they paid out on their last claim that required a replacement motor. I'll bet it was disgusting.
Old January 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Delivery fool

OK HERES THE NEWS

IT"S TOTALLED>

I can get 1600 and be done with it.

! can get 1250 and keep the car, with a salvage title.. I believe the only thing needed to be done would attach bumper and red tape the tail light. then get it inspected.

I'm leaning toward taking 1250 and the car,

What do you guys think?? I got til tomorrow to make a decision
Old January 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Death
! can get 1250 and keep the car, with a salvage title.. I believe the only thing needed to be done would attach bumper and red tape the tail light. then get it inspected.
Not surprising on the totaling, and $1600 is a generous settlement. $1250 and the car isn't, either. You might do a quick look around and see what you can buy for the $1600.

You make attaching the bumper sound like it would be easy. Do you know this for sure? The old bumper was knocked off in the accident. I can't believe there wasn't some damage to the place on the car where it mounts. I would think you would to know what damage there is, if any, before making this decision.

Second, what inspection would approve a damaged taillight with red tape over it?
Old January 26th, 2012, 04:48 PM

I;d take the $1250 and fix the car.

That's not bad
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Now, if you'd been IN the car, all you gotta say is, "I still gotta go to the Doctor about my stiff neck" and watch the price go up!!
But, alas - - - - - - it was parked!
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Always room for one more

If you have the title in your hands, and never give it to them, they can't make it a salvage title I wouldn't think. Like was stated before, if you decide on keeping the car go retrieve it immediately, or you're liable to be charged storage.

Mike
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:59 PM

How hard is it to get a regular title back?Keep us posted.
railguy
Old January 26th, 2012, 06:09 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Railguy
How hard is it to get a regular title back?Keep us posted.
railguy
depends on the state in mass my car was totaled, if I kept it and sold it the new owner would legally have to get a salvage title, I kept it and fixed it and I was legally required to get an owner retained title OR is for situations like this where it may cost an insco more to repair a vehicle than its worth but the damage isnt so bad that it really should be totaled. The diff between OR and salvage is no inspection is required to get it back on the road.

I probably could have just kept driving it as I had the clean ittle in my possesion but to stay within the law I got the owner retained title others states likely vary on this

to the OP congrats the settlement doesnt sound to bad, if you like the car and have the ability to repair it keep it if not take the cash
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:49 PM
new waver

Car and cash man!

I bet some time and welder would have that bumper back on there. Don't let another classic bite the dust!
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'd take car and cash. Although I don't really like omegas, and it's easy to say: "ditch it"
That isn't a good attitude to have. These cars will never survive if we have that mentality.
$350 is scrap price, and you'll have a ton of good parts still.
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Delivery fool

Not surprising on the totaling, and $1600 is a generous settlement. $1250 and the car isn't, either. You might do a quick look around and see what you can buy for the $1600.

You make attaching the bumper sound like it would be easy. Do you know this for sure? The old bumper was knocked off in the accident. I can't believe there wasn't some damage to the place on the car where it mounts. I would think you would to know what damage there is, if any, before making this decision.

Second, what inspection would approve a damaged taillight with red tape over it?

The bumper is ripped off on only one side.

I was just gonna bungee cord it. Not permanently, but you know..

On second thought, The omega needs frame bushings very badly anyway, which looks and sounds expensive too. Also on that, they may tell me that they won't even take the frame apart because It will never go back together..

Perhaps I should go back to square one and start with a car that is in a little bit less "weathered" condition.. Ohio salt winters are a killer for real.
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:19 AM

My take... If it has rust, take the money........ If you love the body style and expect to get another one just like it, get it for parts.... If there aren't enough good parts on it to justify it, then ditch it, but if the engine and trans is good, then, that complicates things right there.
Old January 27th, 2012, 04:47 AM

Tell them $1,500.00 and the car and their done with it.
Old January 27th, 2012, 05:02 AM

The bumper is ripped off on only one side.
Yeah, but the mounting is likely at least bent on the other side. Besides, having to fabricate mounts on only one side is not a whole lot better a situation.

I was just gonna bungee cord it.
Ah, the Red Green solution. Don't forget to make sure to use some duct somewhere as well!

On second thought, The omega needs frame bushings very badly anyway, which looks and sounds expensive too. Also on that, they may tell me that they won't even take the frame apart because It will never go back together..

Perhaps I should go back to square one and start with a car that is in a little bit less "weathered" condition
Smartest thing I've heard all day. Take the $1600 and find another Omega in better shape.

J-Chicago wants you to save it, and there's some merit to that attitude, but, on the other hand, you can't save everything. You've got to make the decision that's right for you. Posterity will take care of itself.
Old January 27th, 2012, 05:44 AM

My 74 is unibody on the back say 60%.I think you can get an after market rear sub frame for around $1000-$1500.If you could do the labor yourself.That would really improve the handling and looks.If you do decide to get rid of it don't scrap it at least try to sell.at the very least it could go for parts.
railguy
Old January 27th, 2012, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Railguy
If you do decide to get rid of it don't scrap it at least try to sell.at the very least it could go for parts.
He only gets this choice if he takes the $1250 because then he gets the car, too. If he takes the $1600, the insurance company keeps the car, and it's their decision what to do with it.

I think he wants to be rid of the car. Even if the insurance company just sells it to a junkyard, that yard will possibly remove at least the engine and transmission before crushing it, so some of it might be saved.
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Delivery fool

Even if the insurance company just sells it to a junkyard, that yard will possibly remove at least the engine and transmission before crushing it, so some of it might be saved.
this actually makes me feel a little better.

and Railguy, I am not confident at all I could do frame work... I dont even own an air compressor.

The thing about my Omega is that It is my first fixxer upper, and I have learned a lot about cars by working on it. I made a promise to the guy I bought it from that I would show it to him when I was finished fixing it up. I also promised I wouldnt "donk" it out. It was his grandpa's car bought new, and he told me stories of riding in it as a kid and whatnot. Very mushy stuff, i know.

I'm a promise breaker is another reason this sucks, cuz it almost seems like an heirloom.

i just did plugs, wires, cap, rotor button. I also have my magnaflow exhaust ghetto rigged just to have something.. I'm disappointed in losing that, but maybe it helped boost the price. Damn, and my Silverstar Headlights are a good fifty bucks and only a few months old.

allright. I'll try to snap a few goodbye pics when i get my plates and stuff out the car.

THank all of you for helping me through this aggravating ordeal.
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:56 AM

I made a promise to the guy I bought it from that I would show it to him when I was finished fixing it up. I also promised I wouldnt "donk" it out. It was his grandpa's car bought new, and he told me stories of riding in it as a kid and whatnot. Very mushy stuff, i know.

I'm a promise breaker is another reason this sucks, cuz it almost seems like an heirloom.
Don't get too emotional about this!

You can't control what happens in life. It was nice that you "promised" this guy what you would and wouldn't do to the car, but, dang it, once you buy the car, it's YOUR car, and it doesn't come with strings attached. If you wanted to turn it into a parade float a la Animal House, that's your business.

But the car was in an accident, and that changes things. You do what you have to do.
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Tell the seller what happened - you were on your way to restoring it when it was rear-ended while parked and totalled.

Show him pictures and the check.

It's the truth.

- Eric
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:58 AM

A wise man once told me, never fall in love with something that can't love you back. We all like our cars but when it really comes down to it it's just a piece of Detroit iron .....Find another one.......Tedd
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Delivery fool

Don't get too emotional about this!

You can't control what happens in life. It was nice that you "promised" this guy what you would and wouldn't do to the car, but, dang it, once you buy the car, it's YOUR car, and it doesn't come with strings attached. If you wanted to turn it into a parade float a la Animal House, that's your business.

But the car was in an accident, and that changes things. You do what you have to do.
I mean, I don't even know the guy. The only way I was gonna be able to show him anyways is hope his address is still the same as where he lived when i bought it..

My mother has a 73 Mercury Montego that she bought brand new sitting in the driveway rotting away to nothing. I'd be devastated if i sold it to someone who brought it back to life only to kill it.

So most likely, I'll just never tell that guy what happened. It's for the better.
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Delivery fool

We had a makeshift viewing when i got my stuff out of it
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HRUJLLBnZQ
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Tell the seller what happened - you were on your way to restoring it when it was rear-ended while parked and totalled.

Show him pictures and the check.

It's the truth.

- Eric
I half agreee...
Don't show the check.. Especially if it is more than you paid for the car..
just the pictures of the damages and in the wrecking yard...
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:57 AM

I mean, I don't even know the guy. The only way I was gonna be able to show him anyways is hope his address is still the same as where he lived when i bought it..
I wouldn't even have bothered with that. Regardless of what was said at the time you bought the car, the relationship between the prior owner and the car was severed at that point, and it becomes your car to do with as you please. You are under no obligation to him. Even if the car had never been in an accident, and even though you might have started out life with the car with the best of intentions, things change, and you do with the car as you see fit. If that means selling it to someone who was going to enter it into a demolition derby, so be it.
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM

We had a makeshift viewing when i got my stuff out of it
Very touching.

Who was the poor woman in purple who was putting up with you?

Why didn't you start it up?

A couple of comments about the car itself, since we could see more of it in your video than we could in the photos you posted.

1. The damage to the left rear fender was much worse than I thought. Not that it couldn't have been straightened, but the photo showed only the dent just ahead of the bumper.

2. As soon as you opened the trunk, I knew you made the right decision to take the money. There seemed to be quite a bit of rust in there, and if that's any indication of what the car looked like underneath, then your fears that no one would want to work on the frame were well-founded.
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Looking at that video, you got the best end of that deal for $1,600.

Take the money and run!

- Eric
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Delivery fool

Very touching.

Who was the poor woman in purple who was putting up with you?

Why didn't you start it up?

A couple of comments about the car itself, since we could see more of it in your video than we could in the photos you posted.

1. The damage to the left rear fender was much worse than I thought. Not that it couldn't have been straightened, but the photo showed only the dent just ahead of the bumper.

2. As soon as you opened the trunk, I knew you made the right decision to take the money. There seemed to be quite a bit of rust in there, and if that's any indication of what the car looked like underneath, then your fears that no one would want to work on the frame were well-founded.
That's my wife.. and "putting up" with me is an understatement. lol

I didnt start it up because I was afraid they would think I was trying to steal it

And yes. it was pretty rusty. Nothing was rusted through, but some spots have flakes that are 3 or 4 layers deep.
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM

That's my wife.. and "putting up" with me is an understatement.
Well, she certainly had a "let's get the damn stuff you came for and get the hell out of here" look on her face.

Mine puts up with me, too. But she told me once that my working on old cars is ok, because otherwise I "could be out drinking in bars every night."

See? It's not that working on old cars is good. It's that it's not as bad as other things I could be doing!
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:20 PM

take the $1,600. Does not sound you have the skills to make the repairs inexpensively and do you want a wrecked car setting in your driveway. Who has to pay to tow the car back to your home.

The insurance company will get your title because you will not get your money until the title is received by the insurance company.

Most states have laws on when a car must be totalled. Usually if the initial estimate is 80% of book value the car must be totalled. Insurance company can still choose to total a car even it the repairs are estimated at less than 80%. They do this so they do not have to hassle with the repair and because they can sell the wrecked car for enough money to make up the difference.
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ScottMHoffman
Most states have laws on when a car must be totalled. Usually if the initial estimate is 80% of book value the car must be totalled.
I had not heard this. I knew that insurance companies often had percentage-of-book-value thresholds, but I didn't know they were mandated by law.
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM

There was a freak hail storm here last year that messed up a lot of cars.A friend told me that some cars were totaled and when people took the money the car were given a salvage title.Even though the damage was only cosmetic.Thats why I was wondering how hard/costly it was to get it back on the road.
railguy
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The 80 percent that is spoken about is the insurance company. The state does not care how bad the car is aslong as it is d.o.t safe . I drove a "salvaged car" it was an old toyota trecel it totaled out at 500 bucks but all it needed was fenders bumper and hood. I bought it from the insurance company that had it at our shop . Here is the kicker they gave me the original title since it was in our office they said just take it. This in no way was legal but the car is long gone. In illinois you have to have the car inspected by the state and they pretty much re badge it by putting a state badge on it saying salve car.

Quick Reply: insurance claim on 75 omega