General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I know better than to do this but on a budget

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2015 | 07:24 PM

I know better than to do this but on a budget

With my car now in the body shop working on some rust issues and prepping for paint my money is really tight as we all know how these things go. I know my car is in good hands though so it'll be worth it in the end as his work is QUALITY !
I drove it there and it was running good but figured pull the motor and trans , clean it all up real good . The trans new filter , front and rear seal and pan gasket. The motor new oil pump , oil pan gasket , timing gear set and gasket, water pump and gasket ,fuel pump and gasket . After doin all that I noticed with motor was on the stand oil was leaking in the front and back of the intake gasket ..... Shoot, so I pulled it , going to pick gaskets up for it tomarrow . I'm starting to have doubts about this seat up job . See I've got a motor , its fresh and never had oil or been run . But I don't know who built it . What I do know is crank is fresh 10/10 I can see it. Pistons are new standard bore deep dish just like what's in my 72 which sucks for what I'm trying to get out of it. I see comp cams 1.6 roller rockers , screw in studs and guid plates , single chain but new timing set , comp cam but not sure specs , and a rpm intake on too . . If I had the money I'd just send it in have flat tops put in it and check everything if heads haven't been worked I'd have that done but with screw in studs and 1.6 rockers I' hope they have big valves in them .... Ahhhhh what to do ?
Old September 24th, 2015 | 05:33 AM

You are in a rock and a hard place! Good luck on your build and post up progress.
Old September 24th, 2015 | 05:23 PM
Administrator

Well if the other engine is ready to run as is, I'd run it on a test stand if possible and break it in. If not throw it in the car and break it in there. In the meantime hopefully you have a running engine that will get you around and you can rebuild the other at your leisure. Or on the other hand run your original engine and mod the other at yout leisure.
Old September 24th, 2015 | 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Well if the other engine is ready to run as is, I'd run it on a test stand if possible and break it in. If not throw it in the car and break it in there. In the meantime hopefully you have a running engine that will get you around and you can rebuild the other at your leisure. Or on the other hand run your original engine and mod the other at yout leisure.
The later is where I'm at . As a matter a fact I'm finishing up the orig motor tomarrow all new gaskets new water pun , timing gear set, and oil pump . Hopefully I don't have any leaks . As long as I get a year or two out of it ill be happy . I should have that other motor ready by then .