General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I have a question about pricing of parts

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2021, 02:19 PM
H/o

I have a question about pricing of parts

I was wondering what is the worth of a pair of 1969 Cutlass F85 doors with the glass hinges, locks (no key) and mirrors are generally worth nowadays? Both doors are in very good shape with no rust and have been sitting in storage in my garage since 1988

Old December 5th, 2021, 03:49 AM

Just my thoughts on parts pricing as every part is different in condition and value. One can look around and see what is for sale, what is asking price and the best knowledge is selling price. Selling price is not so easy to get unless you are the buyer. As for me, I know what I have into the parts $ and am not afraid to sell for a fair price or even a lower price that I feel they are worth. As for 69 doors?? Nice doors? I would think 350 each maybe a bit more? Bottom line for me is don't be afraid to give someone a good deal if you can.
Old December 5th, 2021, 08:33 AM
H/o

Thanks for your input it's appreciated. I do have a follow up question if I may. Since I've never had to ship items of this nature what type of shipping company would I use as these doors are not exactly a UPS or FEDEX type item and do you or anyone else have a general idea of the cost?
Old December 5th, 2021, 08:59 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't sell a lot of parts but have sold some over the years and have some more I need to sell. I always try to price them for a price that I think is fair for me and the buyer. There are some in this hobby that would bend you over a barrel for a dime. Most folks I have seen on here seem to be pretty reasonable. As Joe P. often points out, asking price and selling price are two different things. Very true.
Old December 5th, 2021, 09:33 AM

Probably the cheapest way to ship is Greyhound bus... you drop off the part and they carry to closest terminal and the buyer picks it up.... They give size and weight limits on their web site.
Old December 5th, 2021, 01:39 PM

I agree, something the size of a door would likely ship greyhound for your lowest price. You may have to strip the internals out of the door to keep it under their weight limit. And yes, be sure to insure them for the full amount the buyer pays you including shipping. I've shipped several doors, fenders, other large parts through greyhound. A few years ago I shipped two 1964 Cutlass doors through them. One door arrived in a week or two. The second must have got stuck back in a corner somewhere as it took 3-4 months to arrive! They will load up luggage for travelers then add packages like this as room is available.

I have also built crates and shipped large items freight. That is typically more expensive and time consuming but if the buyer will cover your time and materials it may be an option.
Old December 5th, 2021, 02:38 PM
H/o

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I don't sell a lot of parts but have sold some over the years and have some more I need to sell. I always try to price them for a price that I think is fair for me and the buyer. There are some in this hobby that would bend you over a barrel for a dime. Most folks I have seen on here seem to be pretty reasonable. As Joe P. often points out, asking price and selling price are two different things. Very true.

I think Joe P said it best then because items are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Thanks for sharing.
Old December 5th, 2021, 02:41 PM
H/o

Thank you guys for the Greyhound shipping advice. I wouldn't have ever thought they offered that type of service.