General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

i have engine performance questions

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM

i have engine performance questions

i have a set of solid motor mounts (SM-400) that are new from mondello. i can't find the part number on his site. how do i know if it is for small block or big block frame pads? i want to sell them but don't know what frame pad to list them for. if someone wants them i would take $50.

has anyone heard of dave smiths adjustable rocker arm kit. it is a non roller kit. is it any good? i think this kit i got is from the early to mid 80s.

this one is because of a friend. do people buy good used cam shafts with the lifters that were marked to what lobe they came out of? i never reused a cam much less bought a used one. a friend said when he was drag racing his SBC, people would sell used cams all the time. i have a good used cam and lifters from the 80s. is it something i can get something for or do i toss them in the trash? i guess i could save them and try to throw together a 455 with old stuff

i will be working on my Rallye 350 this year some and want to do some work to the exhaust. i don't want to go with headers in any way but was told i should when i built this engine. they suggested i should bore the exhaust manifolds outlet if i was not going to use headers. is this really going to help any?
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Car Junkie

I had the Dave Smith kit back in the late 80's and it worked well. I think I still have most of the pieces actually. It's pretty similar to the Comp Cams kit with the double sided studs but no roller tip rockers. I think Dave pioneered that setup.

Used cam sales are pretty common. If the lifters are marked which lobe they go to all the better but a lot of people will just buy new lifters.

I hear you on the exhaust manifolds I'm going to do the same thing on a 455 I'm putting together but I have Ram Air Restorations ones with a 2 1/2" outlet. From what I've read and been told by people who have them they work really well. I don't know how much you can bore the outlet of a stock one though so you may have to replace them with a larger casting.
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM

I wouldn't trust the lifters, buy new ones. I would have to ruin a cam and possibly a engine because somebody didn't mark the lifters correctly.