General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I hate rodents!!!

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2017, 03:17 PM

I hate rodents!!!

If I leave a car parked for a few months it seems like the mice and spiders move in. Even with several cats around the place! That's annoying, but today I looked at a project car and found this. A 1969 Sport wheel chewed by mice, and they even chewed the horn button! Sad to see scarce parts in this condition.

Old November 24th, 2017, 04:49 PM
72 Olds CS

I'm w you John

I posted a week or two ago about my bosses son who had parked his car for a few days and was greeted w mouse stench and fluff when he turned on his blower.

I was just about to start my tractor today but before I did I checked the air intake and you guessed it...I spent the next hour cleaning out the intake tract, fortunately new holland makes a good effort to prevent rodent damage w a steel cage wrapped outer air cleaner a raised inner air cleaner, and the outlet of the airfilter box higher than the inlet so rodent juices don't flow into the engine.
Old November 24th, 2017, 05:26 PM

John,
I would be interested in the horn components off that wheel if they are available. I have a blue wheel I am in need of the 3 woodgrain pieces and the surrounds for the them. Also would be interested in the horn button also...

Let me know if they are available....

thank you
tim
Old November 24th, 2017, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by 69442murph
John,
I would be interested in the horn components off that wheel if they are available. I have a blue wheel I am in need of the 3 woodgrain pieces and the surrounds for the them. Also would be interested in the horn button also...

Let me know if they are available....

thank you
tim
Tim, the car has been sitting in a field for a long time and its pretty rough. But the owner has had it for a very long time, so I'm not sure he'll want to let go of it at a price I'm comfortable with. But if I get it and decide to sell the wheel for parts you'll get first shot at it. John
Old November 24th, 2017, 07:46 PM

The critters were probably after salt residue left from previous owners. We have had hatchets and axes gnawed on and I know the food value of the wood wasn't what attracted them to the tools.... Tedd
Old November 24th, 2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
The critters were probably after salt residue left from previous owners. We have had hatchets and axes gnawed on and I know the food value of the wood wasn't what attracted them to the tools.... Tedd
That makes sense. I was wondering why the steering wheel was chewed on yet didn't see teeth marks on any other part of the interior. Except... the shifter lever. But again that was handled a lot back when it was drivable.
Old November 25th, 2017, 02:30 AM

I agree. But in spite of all the devastation, Walt still seemed to like Mickey for some reason. Perhaps love really is blind.

Old November 25th, 2017, 05:53 AM

I put my 70 away in 92 or so with perfect floors and now I have holes to repair due to Mickey and company.
Old November 25th, 2017, 03:35 PM

heck about 2 weeks ago i got an 04 trailblazer from my step daughter.put it in the shed.got it out about 4 days later to change oil and stuff so drove it to town.it was kinda cold so turned on the heater and all was fine til i turned the fan speed up.then it had a wicked rumble.i thought it sounded like it was out of balance.so took it off,its behind the glove box and goes in from the bottom took about 4 mins to get it out and sure enough,mouse nest.thought damn mice so cleaned it and it was fine,left it on the driveway.next day i go to move it and try fan and sure as hell does it again.pull fan and it had a bigger nest in it this time.so then i left it out and let it set for a couple days and put it back in and so far no new nests.
Old November 27th, 2017, 05:43 AM

This will take care of the CRITTERS.

Johnny
Old November 27th, 2017, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by toymobile
This will take care of the CRITTERS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SIlYiiCGLI

Johnny
Thanks for sharing! I watched this and the "walk the plank" clip, then ordered a walk the plank from ebay. This won't help the car I looked at, but might save the cars I've got at home! John
Old November 27th, 2017, 04:30 PM

problem with that is my water freezes guess i could add some anti-freeze.maybe the sweet smell will attract em.
Old November 27th, 2017, 09:34 PM

People I Know in Minnesota that have them do use antifreeze for two reasons, it does not freeze and there is no dead mouse stink.
Old November 28th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
problem with that is my water freezes guess i could add some anti-freeze.maybe the sweet smell will attract em.
I wouldn’t waste the antifreeze, catch live, pour water into bucket, wait, and dispose. Especially if you have pets you don’t want poisoned. I would probably be singing “Have a drink on me” while filling the bucket.