General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I bought a car today

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Forward into the Past

I bought a car today

Today, I did something that was either very smart or very dumb, depending on one's point of view. I bought a 1995 Cutlass Supreme convertible. The car is in nice shape and has a new convertible top (not a cheap thing in and of itself) but believe it or not, my motivation is to save money--or more accurately, to contain costs. I have two Oldsmobile convertibles that were my late father's. He had given me a 1964 Dynamic 88, which needs considerable work just to get it running after sitting more than 30 years and my sister, who is executrix of his estate, said I could also have his '67 Cutlass Supreme Turnpike Cruiser convertible, which has been sitting for almost as long as the '64 and likely needs even more work to get it streetable. The idea was that I would sell one car to help pay for fixing the other one up. I stumbled across this '95 Cutlass over the weekend and the price was decent for its condition, so the more I thought about it, the more I began to see another alternative that seemed to make sense—Sell both of the older convertibles, buy this '95 and put some money in the bank. What I came to realize is that at the end of the day, I really just want a convertible I can drive around and enjoy on pretty days. The '95 provides that along with what I believe will be a significantly lower cost of ownership and less worry about constant repairs and unobtainium parts, at least for the next few years. Either of the other two cars run the risk of being potential open money pits with costs possibly spiraling out of control and beyond my modest means. The best part is the '95 is ready to go and I can start enjoying it immediately, whereas I could be pouring money into either of the other two cars for quite some time without ever getting behind the wheel. I've always had a bit of fondness for those last generation Cutlass Supremes ever since I had a '91 Supreme coupe about 20 years ago. More recently, we had a '94 Supreme convertible in the family that I would have liked to have had but at the time, I had no place to put it and could not afford it. Call me crazy for giving up not one, but two vintage cars in favor of one that's still a few years away from qualifying as an antique, but it makes sense for me and my circumstances. Now here's the the ironic part. At the age of 54, this is the first car buying decision I've ever made completely on my own. Every other car I have ever had was either purchased in consultation with my father, who was an Oldsmobile district sales manager, or outright chosen by him. For better or worse, this one's gonna be truly mine.
Old August 20th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Administrator

The 95 can be just as if not more problematic than the older 2. If I were to sell 1 of the older cars it would be the 64. The 67 Turnpike Cruiser is a cool car and desirable car. If the older cars are in good shape, have just been sitting and ran when parked, they should be fairly easy to get back running and driving. It all depends on your mechanical expertise. I will say selling them in their dormant state will yield much less cash.
Old August 20th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Olds Fever

X2 on Eric's comments... Parts for the 95 convertible, especially parts particular to only the convertible, are very difficult to come by... And when they do, you will go into sticker shock...
Old August 20th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Forward into the Past

Yes, there's always a risk with any used car purchase. Fortunately, the '95 has a brand new top and the body and interior are in great shape so nothing's really needed there. It's got the base 3.1L engine, which trades off a bit of horsepower for reliability when compared with the 3.4L DOHC engine since it has an old fashioned timing chain instead of a timing belt, which was more than a little problematic on the 3.4. It's a shame that Olds never put a 3800 in a Cutlass Supreme like Buick did the Regal and Pontiac did the Gran Prix. I agree with Eric about the Turnpike Cruiser being the most desirable of the three but it also needs the most work. Reviving either of the two older cars myself is more than a little outside my wheelhouse. I really don't have the facilities or expertise to do much more than basic maintenance on cars (I'm an English professor, not a mechanic), so that would represent a considerable up front expense, all of which must be taken into consideration.
Old August 20th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have always like those last generation Cutlass convertibles. Most folk I have talked to that have then really love them. There is a lady in our Olds club that has a pristine red one wit saddle interior. I would prefer the 3.1L engine for the reliability. I hope you enjoy your car. By the way, we like to see pictures.
Old August 20th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Did you put either of the 2 other cars up in the For Sale section of this site? I'm sure there would be some interest, especially with that Turnpike cruiser.

So this is what you ended up with?
Old August 20th, 2018, 06:40 PM
Forward into the Past

I haven't yet put the two older cars in the "For Sale" section yet but I will soon. I haven't seen either of those two cars since about 2004 and will take photos of them this weekend when I take possession of them and will advertise them soon thereafter.

Yes, the '95 I bought is pretty much just like the brochure photo above, right down to the color--bright red with a graphite interior. It doesn't have the rear bucket seats like the '94 we had a few years ago, just the conventional bench type rear seat, but that's okay. I'll also post pix of the '95 when it gets here.
Old August 20th, 2018, 07:42 PM

Looks kinda like a Miata with a back seat..... sorta. My grand kids all got Oldsmobile's of that era (no convertibles) and they all did well till they were all wrecked, each and everyone. Teenagers you know....... Tedd
Old August 20th, 2018, 08:54 PM
same but different

I don't see any reason why you can't enjoy your "new" convertible. With all things considered, being in your situation why not? You only have to justify it for you. Speaking for my self, I'm not prepared for another big project so I can relate to that. I 'd rather have some fun now and concentrate on the small challenges ahead. With that said, I'd look forward to seeing what those two other Olds have to offer. I'm sure there is someone to take on the projects. Thanks for sharing.
Old August 21st, 2018, 01:39 PM
Jeff

You're better off w/ the '95 if you are not capable of even minor wrenching, and there's no shame in admitting that. I had that 3.1 in a '93 Sunbird w/ a 5spd, and it was a fun car car to drive due to the manual and the hp. I know, I know... no one has ever said such a ridiculous thing about a 3.1, but it was my first car that did not have either the 2.5 GM Iron Duke or the 2.3 Ford, so it was a significant step up in performance from my high school and college cars.

The one engineering weakness of the 3.1 that you will experience is a $5 coolant nipple in the intake that is prone to eventual failure, due to electrolysis. Winds up being a $500 (well, it was in '97) job to take the intake off to replace, because it will typically crumble when the service tech tries to remove it. Don't let that scare you off, though. You'll have yourself a fun, reliable car.
Old August 21st, 2018, 04:05 PM
Forward into the Past

I can do some minor wrenching but I know and respect my limitations. I've had a 3.1L before in my '91 Cutlass Supreme coupe and I found it to be reliable and fun to drive, despite its slightly anemic performance.
Old August 21st, 2018, 05:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That 95 isn't hard to work on. You might want to invest in a 1995 Chassis service manual when it comes time to do any work. Either that or you can just use DIY videos off the web.
Old August 21st, 2018, 05:34 PM
Forward into the Past

Originally Posted by Allan R
That 95 isn't hard to work on. You might want to invest in a 1995 Chassis service manual when it comes time to do any work. Either that or you can just use DIY videos off the web.
Absolutely. a service manual for the '95 will be a 'must'. I've had them for most of the cars I've owned over the years and find them to be invaluable resources.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:15 PM
Forward into the Past

It wasn't exactly a factory service manual but I was perusing a used bookstore last night and ended up walking out with a Haynes W-body shop manual for $4. I figured it would do until I can get my hands on a copy of the genuine article and had bookmarked a couple of copies on eBay that were in the $25 range but one just turned up for $6.50 plus shipping, which was actually more than the cost of the two volumes themselves, so I'm good to go on repair literature for this car. It's a gorgeous, not terribly hot day today. I wish that car were in the driveway already so I could drop the top and take a spin. Soon enough, though...

Last edited by Human; August 23rd, 2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old August 27th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Forward into the Past

When the late Tom Petty wrote that "the waiting is the hardest part", I don't think he was referring to waiting to have a car delivered but it certainly fits. Over the weekend, I came to final terms with the seller and he's depositing my check today. I've contacted a shipper and that part will be ready to go once the check clears. I figure I've got at least another week to wait, maybe two.

The seller told me about a couple of issues the car has, but they're easily addressable. The A/C compressor leaks (not surprising on a car that age and besides, who needs air conditioning in a convertible?). The ABS control module also needs replacing, but the car just passed a state safety inspection, so the brakes work fine, even if the ABS system doesn't. I'll get these two items checked out in due time.
Old August 27th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have to point out that we have not seen pictures of this car yet. People on here love pictures.
Old August 27th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn, apparently it looks like the brochure picture I posted earlier. Red exterior with graphite interior. Only thing is it doesn't come with a blonde in the front seat..
Old August 27th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Forward into the Past

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I have to point out that we have not seen pictures of this car yet. People on here love pictures.
I have not seen the car in the flesh yet, so I have not had the opportunity to take my own photos. All I have are the ones from the online listing. Being a college professor and thus hyper aware of intellectual property issues, I am hesitant to post pictures that aren't my own. Rest assured that situation will be remedied in due course.

And Allan is correct. I didn't get the blonde in the passenger seat option. I think she would come under the heading of nonstandard, aftermarket accessories.
Old August 27th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Professor if you got the blond with the car, you would have paid way more for the car. I don't remember ever seeing an add on like that in the J.C. Whitney catalog.
Old August 27th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Professor if you got the blond with the car, you would have paid way more for the car. I don't remember ever seeing an add on like that in the J.C. Whitney catalog.
That's because it came from the 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brochure. It's the same year as my old Ninety Eight Regency Elite

Old August 27th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Forward into the Past

Yes, I'm sure the blonde would be a VERY expensive option.
Old August 27th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Human
Yes, I'm sure the blonde would be a VERY expensive option.
Worth at least a house of two
Old August 31st, 2018, 09:07 AM
Forward into the Past

Still waiting...
At this point, all hurdles have been cleared except for the shipper actually scheduling pickup and delivery times. I'm hopeful that will all come together next week. My inner child is getting antsy.

I let my mother know about this car and my decision to sell the two '60s vintage convertibles and she's totally supportive and agrees with my reasoning. It really helps that no one in the family has any particular emotional attachment to those cars.

UPDATE: I just got a message from the shipper and car will be picked up Monday morning and should arrive at my house that evening. I'm pretty stoked!

Last edited by Human; August 31st, 2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 06:18 PM
Forward into the Past

The Convertible Has Landed!
The '95 Cutlass Convertible was dropped off at my house a little over an hour ago. I really had to fight the urge to drop the top and take it for a little spin, but that will have to wait until tomorrow when I can get it registered. There were a few little undisclosed defects, but that's to be expected on a car that age. The most annoying one is the plastic hinge on the console cover is broken. It's a clean break and it had been glued in the past without success. Guess I'll have to start scouring the yards and keep my eyes open for a replacement. Another little problem that the seller had alerted me to is the switch for the convertible top sometimes doesn't want to work. I'm going to try spraying it with some contact cleaner tomorrow and if that doesn't work, a new switch will go on the shopping list. It looks to be the same as the sunroof switch on my Aurora. If so, I may have to pull a little switcheroo before I get rid of the Aurora. The daylight was fading when the car was delivered, so I didn't have an opportunity to take pictures. I'll definitely be doing that tomorrow afternoon so I can send some to my insurance company and post some here as well.
Old September 4th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Forward into the Past

First Drive Impressions and Photos
After my classes ended today, I blew off my afternoon office hours and high-tailed it to DMV to get the convertible registered so I could take it for a drive. After putting the license plate on and bathing the top switch with CRC electrical contact cleaner, I dropped the top and drove the car to a nearby city park to take some photos of it. I needed straight-on exterior shots for my insurance company to put collision and comprehensive coverage on it. They are attached, along with a couple of interior shots, for your enjoyment. It was about 90 degrees outside, so it was a little outside my comfort zone, although not bad in the shade. That said, it was nice to smell the freshly mown grass as I drove along. From my residential neighborhood, it's only about half a mile before it gives way to country roads with very little traffic, so it was a great opportunity open up the throttle a bit and get an idea of how it runs and drives. All in all, it met my expectations in terms of performance and handling. The 3.1L engine is no speed demon but it's entirely adequate. The transmission shifts smoothly, which I expected, since it was recently rebuilt. Handling characteristics were typical for any W-body car I've ever driven, which is to say it's pleasantly taut but not overly exciting. When I finally got back to my driveway, I was definitely pleased with the car and looking forward to fun times ahead especially when the weather is a bit cooler.

Since the car was advertised as having a CD player, I assumed it was the original Delco unit. The radio was a Delco but only a cassette player. The CD player turned out to be an 8-disc Sony changer in the trunk. I haven't tested the changer out yet, but I had a Delco cassette and CD player that I'd pulled from a 2000 Intrigue at a boneyard several years ago sitting in the barn, so it's now in the dash of the car. I also pulled a set of heavy duty rubber floor mats out of my Aurora to put in it. I left the original carpeted mats in the Aurora but I may change my mind. Somewhere, I have a set of light gray mats that came out of my '91 Cutlass Supreme coupe that I had about 20 years ago. I'll have to look for them and decide whether they're worth cleaning up and using. The car has a set of fairly new El Dorado Golden Fury GFT tires. I've never heard of the brand but I guess they'll do okay for the small amount of driving I intend to do.

I'm starting a shopping list of things to look for at the boneyard. Besides the armrest lid for the center console, a new set of sun visors is high on my list. The ones in the vert are badly deteriorated. Compatible ones should be easy to find from a variety of different GM cars. I also need to replace the temperature **** on the climate control panel. Again, this is a very common piece, so it will be easy to source. Front view
Driver's side
Passenger's side
Rear view
Driver's interor
Passenger's interor
Old September 5th, 2018, 08:26 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Originally Posted by Human
First Drive Impressions and Photos
After my classes ended today, I blew off my afternoon office hours and high-tailed it to DMV to get the convertible registered so I could take it for a drive. After putting the license plate on and bathing the top switch with CRC electrical contact cleaner, I dropped the top and drove the car to a nearby city park to take some photos of it. I needed straight-on exterior shots for my insurance company to put collision and comprehensive coverage on it. They are attached, along with a couple of interior shots, for your enjoyment. It was about 90 degrees outside, so it was a little outside my comfort zone, although not bad in the shade. That said, it was nice to smell the freshly mown grass as I drove along. From my residential neighborhood, it's only about half a mile before it gives way to country roads with very little traffic, so it was a great opportunity open up the throttle a bit and get an idea of how it runs and drives. All in all, it met my expectations in terms of performance and handling. The 3.1L engine is no speed demon but it's entirely adequate. The transmission shifts smoothly, which I expected, since it was recently rebuilt. Handling characteristics were typical for any W-body car I've ever driven, which is to say it's pleasantly taut but not overly exciting. When I finally got back to my driveway, I was definitely pleased with the car and looking forward to fun times ahead especially when the weather is a bit cooler.

Since the car was advertised as having a CD player, I assumed it was the original Delco unit. The radio was a Delco but only a cassette player. The CD player turned out to be an 8-disc Sony changer in the trunk. I haven't tested the changer out yet, but I had a Delco cassette and CD player that I'd pulled from a 2000 Intrigue at a boneyard several years ago sitting in the barn, so it's now in the dash of the car. I also pulled a set of heavy duty rubber floor mats out of my Aurora to put in it. I left the original carpeted mats in the Aurora but I may change my mind. Somewhere, I have a set of light gray mats that came out of my '91 Cutlass Supreme coupe that I had about 20 years ago. I'll have to look for them and decide whether they're worth cleaning up and using. The car has a set of fairly new El Dorado Golden Fury GFT tires. I've never heard of the brand but I guess they'll do okay for the small amount of driving I intend to do.

I'm starting a shopping list of things to look for at the boneyard. Besides the armrest lid for the center console, a new set of sun visors is high on my list. The ones in the vert are badly deteriorated. Compatible ones should be easy to find from a variety of different GM cars. I also need to replace the temperature **** on the climate control panel. Again, this is a very common piece, so it will be easy to source.
You can be proud of your purchase. Of course you know my take on the Oldsmobiles and I'm living in the 1960s. But a man has to do what a man can do and it sounds to me like you made a good choice for the immediate need to drive with the top down!
Old September 5th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Forward into the Past

Thanks Brian,
I love the '60s and '70s cars also. I was born in the early '60s and remember them well. The first cars that really captured my imagination as a very small child were the early Toronados. I'm just not sure I'm the right person to restore either of those cars. They just need more than I can provide. At the end of the day, I'd just rather see them go to people who can appreciate them and are in a better position to take them on as projects. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy driving my '95 on pretty days and fixing up the few relatively minor things that it needs will be its own special kind of fun.
Old September 5th, 2018, 10:17 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

If I can get you the creds, bring it to AutoFair this weekend!
Old September 5th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Forward into the Past

Originally Posted by btw
If I can get you the creds, bring it to AutoFair this weekend!
Will do!
Old September 5th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Shoveling Snow

If you have a interior shop around that you trust I would have the sun visors recovered. More than likely ones you find will be in a similar shape.
Old September 5th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Forward into the Past

The sun visors are in reasonably good shape on the side you normally see from the front seat when they're in the 'up' position. but the sides that are up against the top are totally trashed. I'm thinking repeated abrasion from the top going up and down is a major culprit, along with exposure to direct sunlight when the top is down. With that in mind, and the fact that the sun visors on my '95 Aurora are in great shape, I'm thinking it wouldn't be too hard to find a set in good shape from some other W-body car. The big assumption here is that the convertible's sun visors are the same as those on W-body coupes and sedans. That said, I'm not completely opposed to having the original visors re-covered but I might opt for a tougher covering like maybe the vinyl like that is on the A-pillars.

Last edited by Human; September 5th, 2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old September 6th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Forward into the Past

Successful Boneyard Expedition
So I had a little slack time this afternoon and even though today's temperature topped out at more than 90 degrees, I decided to take a trip to a nearby self-service junkyard to get a few needed pieces for the convertible. The big win was a pair of pristine looking sun visors that I think I can make work. Believe it or not, they came out of a 2001 Cadillac Seville STS. I haven't yet removed the heavily deteriorated original visors from the convertible, but the triangular anchor appears to be nearly identical, so I'm hopeful they'll go in with minimal adapting. They're black instead of graphite, but that should look okay and definitely better than what's there. The STS also had a nice set of floor mats, so I snagged those as well. Worst case scenario, they can line the trunk. I also snagged a replacement for a broken temperature **** from the passenger door of a '95 Aurora.

The one thing on my list I didn't find was a replacement for the convertible's center console lid. What I saw on various cars was instructive, nonetheless. I now realize the only thing that's going to fit is a console lid from a '95-'97 Cutlass. I'm just going to have to check the inventory lists for my two favorite yards and be prepared to make a run whenever one shows up.

I'm kind of hot and tired right now, so I'll wait to try and put the new visors in. Maybe it'll be a little be a little cooler tomorrow.

UPDATE: After I cooled off a bit, curiosity got the better of me, so I went back out and took one of the sun visors down in the convertible. Everything will line up perfectly and It appears the only needed modification will be to take a Dremel and cut off the extensions to the back sides of the screw holes on the Cadillac visors, which were necessary to extend the screws through the cardboard headliner; whereas, on the convertible, the screws are much shorter and go directly into the metal of the windshield frame. Other than that, it'll just be plug-n-play, although I'll have to do a little disassembly to locate the electrical connector for the vanity mirror lights. The Cadillac visors are a little smaller than their Cutlass counterparts, but they have a sliding shaft, which allows one to position them a little more precisely. I'm glad that as an afterthought, I grabbed the inner anchors for the Cadillac visors, as I'll be needing those as well. The visors cost me the princely sum of $11 for the pair. The whole haul was just over $20, including the gate fee. I don't think I could get the originals re-covered for that. This will definitely be a little project for tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by Human; September 6th, 2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old September 7th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Forward into the Past

I got a little more than halfway through the sun visor swap before an impending thunderstorm forced me to stop and button things up. The driver's side visor is in and the original passenger's side visor is out. The lights on the vanity mirrors don't work right now because the wiring is different. The Cadillac visors use a two-wire system and the convertible has a one-wire system with the ground achieved through a brass contact on the anchor plate. I may try to come up with a way to adapt the two systems to work together, which shouldn't be too terribly difficult, but I'm content for now just to have better looking visors for a bargain bin price.