General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I am so ashamed

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
The current Impala is not a W car, It started using the Aurora platform in 2000, along with the STS and Bonneville. Having said that, I still would not buy a current Impala, just because the interiors seem so cheap. The door panels are a one piece vaccum formed chunk of plastic, that just doesn't cut it. Taxicab interior.
The current Impala is not related to the aurora, sts or bonneville, its a W-body sedan. The Bonneville is an H-body (same platform as the FWD C-body) and the Aurora is an G-body (FWD) which is shared with the 2000+ Deville/DTS. The FWD G platform is a revised E-platform which also underpinned the 95-99 Buick Riviera and first gen Aurora... The Cadillac STS rides on the Sigma platform which is not related to these... That is one of GM's global platforms.

The Impala has always been riding on the W-platform, and was originally known as the Chevrolet Lumina until 1999 when the 2000 models were introduced and slight revision to the body was made... The Lumina name was changed on the 4-doors to "Impala" but the "Monte Carlo" name retained on 2-door models..... (until they were discontinued in the '07 model year)...

Through 2009 the Buick Lacrosse used the w-platform... GM had planned to move the Impala to the new Epsilon II platform with the Lacrosse in 2010 but the current financial crisis has the Impala in limbo as to whether it moves to the new platform or is deleted from the Chevrolet lineup.

The Lucerne is riding on the oldest platform at GM (the H/C FWD) platform which was introduced in 1984 as 1985 models. The bonneville was discontinued in 2005, and slightly revised for the 2000 model year (the same year the W-platform received added strengthening to it). This platform is approximately 3 years older than the W-platform...
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM

Doesn't the Mazda uses the wankle engine?Its a german design.Itdosen't have pistons , crank,cam,or valves!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCgl...eature=related
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Where was your Lexus built? Not in America because there isnt a single one made here.
True, but I don't shop brand loyalty. I remained mostly GM loyal, but no more.

This isn't our fathers era of manufacturing. This is globalized America. I shop reliability reports, and Lexus was #1 on JD Powers & Assoc Vehicle Dependability Surveys 14 or 15 years consecutively. http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/07/l...year-straight/ That whole "Buy American" argument to me is false flagging when they're not all American anymore. Hell even my Harley has parts coming from Mexico......Hecho en Mexico stamped on it.

That's up until the recent issue with Toyota & Lexus sticking electronic throttles. This isn't World War II, this isn't Pearl Harbor, and I buy used, so it doesn't have as much of an impact. Someone else bought it, paid the taxes on it, helped the manufacturers. Sure, there's service parts, but this car is 12 years old and has ZERO rattles in it, whereas my 10 year old GMC truck is falling apart. Build quality and quality of components is superior to much of the junk I've seen used on American vehicles these days.

That's just my own perception and experience. I've got 4 GM vehicles in my driveway next to it. Dodge......forget it. You can't get me to own one of those again. I love the Challenger, and only because of Daimler sharing platform technology and components, have I considered it. But I'll NEVER EVER get an Automatic transmission made by Dodge. It will be the TR6060 if I get it.

Ford, I think has some very nice vehicles lately. I hated them in the 90's. But they're VERY attractive vehicles lately.
I love the new Mustang.....can't deny it. One thing I'll warn people about......steer clear of CVT transmissions.
That's per several long time ASE certified Ford Technicians I know on other forums.

Last edited by Aceshigh; December 2nd, 2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
I don't shop brand loyalty. I remained mostly GM loyal, but no more.
GM lost a lot of older "brand loyal" customers to Ford in the mid-80s when the full-size Olds, Buick and Cadillac were downsized, and again in the mid-90's when they discontinued the Caprice, Roadmaster and Fleetwood. They picked up a few "old customers" with the reintroduction of the Roadmaster but those customers had no "replacement" as most of them were used to old-school RWD sedans, except to return to a Marquis, Crown Vic or Town Car.... Companies who lose customer base in large quantities usually never regain those customers...

But I grew up with General Motors cars, and although I've owned a few Mercury Marquis' and Lincoln Town Cars, I still perfer the GM cars over others... I think (personally) its because I've driven more miles in a GM car/truck than other brands... Right now I have a 2003 Town Car and 2005 Chevrolet Silverado...

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Ford, I think has some very nice vehicles lately. I hated them in the 90's. But they're VERY attractive vehicles lately.
I love the new Mustang.....can't deny it. One thing I'll warn people about......steer clear of CVT transmissions.
That's per several long time ASE certified Ford Technicians I know on other forums.
I've spoken to some mechanics who tell me the same thing on the slush-box CVT tranny.... But the rest of the Ford lineup isn't that bad... They've come up with some decent cars in the last 8-10 years that are fairly competitive... (especially in todays market)... I like the new Lincoln MKS.... just not going to drop 50k into any vehicle...
Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Railguy
Doesn't the Mazda uses the wankle engine?Its a german design.Itdosen't have pistons , crank,cam,or valves!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCgl...eature=related
Mazda does sell a car with the Wankle, but it is the RX-8, not the Mazda 3.