General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I am interested in this car, what are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2021, 03:11 PM

I am interested in this car, what are your thoughts?

Would appreciate any feedback on this car, thanks.

https://bit.ly/3jfPlAT

EDIT: Updated link

Last edited by ericisback; October 19th, 2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old October 18th, 2021, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Your link is no good
Old October 18th, 2021, 03:34 PM

For that price I'd like to see everything perfect. i.e. missing door VIN sticker, driveshaft not detailed/rusted, carpet not tucked in - lots of little things.
The docs at first glance looks good.
Verifying correct numbered w-30 specific parts (carb, distributor) along with detailed body inspection would be the next step for a serious buyer.
Old October 18th, 2021, 04:16 PM

Bj

Old October 18th, 2021, 04:58 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Beautiful car, too bad you can’t assume Orville’s insurance policy with Allstate

Old October 18th, 2021, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by v8al
For that price I'd like to see everything perfect. i.e. missing door VIN sticker, driveshaft not detailed/rusted, carpet not tucked in - lots of little things.
The docs at first glance looks good.
Verifying correct numbered w-30 specific parts (carb, distributor) along with detailed body inspection would be the next step for a serious buyer.
Great colors. Love to see work put into it. Aka before and after pictures.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Your link is no good
Link works fine for me. I get rarity of a four speed coupe W-30. 125+ grand. I am just old...💸💸
Old October 18th, 2021, 05:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

A cursory run through the ad photos doesn't raise any red flags. The car appears to be correct. Original red inner fenders, not repros. Even the valve covers are on correctly.
Old October 18th, 2021, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

And, wait for it....the rear view mirror is mounted correctly....right-side UP.

EDIT: I'd better clarify my statement. A couple years ago an advertisement selling a Cutlass (442?) provided picture upon picture of the awesome vehicle. Numerous members were critiquing the vehicle. It was so blatantly apparent this car was nothing at all compared to the suggested description - point-of-fact, the rear view mirror was mounted upside down.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 18th, 2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old October 18th, 2021, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Great colors. Love to see work put into it. Aka before and after pictures.

Link works fine for me. I get rarity of a four speed coupe W-30. 125+ grand. I am just old...💸💸
What would be a fair price for this car, if everything is as it appears in the photos?

Last edited by ericisback; October 19th, 2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old October 18th, 2021, 06:11 PM

Can anyone recommend someone in that area (Rochester, MN) for a pre-purchase inspection?

Old October 18th, 2021, 06:16 PM

I think this car’s restoration was done by Greg Godon. Does anyone know him, or know how I can reach him?
Old October 18th, 2021, 06:24 PM
Running On Empty

I think you're referring to Greg Gordon (not Godon)?

Possibly?
https://allpeople.com/greg+gordon_he...or-news_100-us
Old October 18th, 2021, 06:49 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I think you're referring to Greg Gordon (not Godon)?

Possibly?
https://allpeople.com/greg+gordon_he...or-news_100-us
I do not have gregs phone handy 815 861 2813 AL
was GODON contact #
Old October 18th, 2021, 06:50 PM
Running On Empty

Quite possibly the same Greg Gordon (fits the profile) who was at one time a Sales Executive for Internet Brands (the parent company who owns this CO website).

https://www.facebook.com/greg.gordon...M5NTY0Mjc3MDU1
Old October 19th, 2021, 07:26 AM

More info on the car:

https://www.classic.com/veh/1970-old...4770m-LWY77L4/

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1970-OLDSMOBILE-442-W30-2-DOOR-SPORT-COUPE-223638

https://www.throddal.com/details/197...n1a7dqurm.html

I've had a few PM's letting me know the price is high (which I already knew, but I appreciate the message)!

Does anyone think it's worth 70-80K?

Old October 19th, 2021, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ericisback
More info on the car:
Not really, other than it sold for $55K two years ago. Your call on whether that amount of profit is worth it to you.
Old October 19th, 2021, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Not really, other than it sold for $55K two years ago. Your call on whether that amount of profit is worth it to you.
"Throddal" price is $47.3k, which is less than the hammer price at BJ, three years ago?!?

Old October 19th, 2021, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

"Throddal" price is $47.3k, which is less than the hammer price at BJ, three years ago?!?
Who or what is "Throddal" and why do you think that is even close to being accurate? Of course, it's on the interwebs...
Old October 19th, 2021, 07:54 AM

Who or what is "Throddal" and why do you think that is even close to being accurate? Of course, it's on the interwebs...
I didn't say I thought the Throddal price was accurate (you know what they say when you ***-u-me). What do you think it's worth?
Old October 19th, 2021, 07:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

What do you think it's worth?
I'm not an appraiser and what it's worth to me is irrelevant. I'm not interested in "investment grade" musclecars. I want to drive them, not push them off and on the trailer at shows. I'd suggest you search completed auction prices to get a feel for market value these days. At that point the value is between you and your bank account.
Old October 19th, 2021, 08:04 AM

I'm not an appraiser and what it's worth to me is irrelevant. I'm not interested in "investment grade" musclecars. I want to drive them, not push them off and on the trailer at shows. I'd suggest you search completed auction prices to get a feel for market value these days. At that point the value is between you and your bank account.
Does that mean you have a price you would pay (in your head) and you just don't want to say the number out loud, or you just don't know what it would be worth to YOU?
Old October 19th, 2021, 08:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Does that mean you have a price you would pay (in your head) and you just don't want to say the number out loud, or you just don't know what it would be worth to YOU?
I don't know what it's worth to YOU. I wouldn't pay $90K for a restored musclecar personally because I don't want a trailer queen. Again, your call, not mine. You can do the research on auction sale prices on your time.
Old October 19th, 2021, 08:13 AM

I don't know what it's worth to YOU. I wouldn't pay $90K for a restored musclecar personally because I don't want a trailer queen. Again, your call, not mine. You can do the research on auction sale prices on your time.
Thanks for the feedback, but again, I wasn't asking what I thought the car is worth to ME (I already know that number, LOL)....

I see lots of people say what they "wouldn't pay"; few offer qualified opinions on the reasonable worth of a car for sale. That's much harder to do. You don't have to be an "appraiser" to offer an opinion on the value of a car. But when YOU say "Who or what is 'Throddal' and why do you think that is even close to being accurate?", sounds like you might have an idea about what you think the "accurate" worth might be - you just won't say it. No worries, I appreciate the feedback all the same.

As for me, if the documents and numbers check out, I'd put the price around $60-65K, maybe $70k. What do other's think (other than Joe or course)?

Last edited by ericisback; October 19th, 2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old October 19th, 2021, 09:53 AM

As for me, if the documents and numbers check out, I'd put the price around $60-65K, maybe $70k.
You really have answered the underlying question here. It doesn't matter what other people think the cars worth except to validate what you think the car is worth.
The bottom line is if the car is a true documented mint w-30 with all the correct parts you are not going to lose money on the car unless you wreck it.
Old October 19th, 2021, 11:07 AM

Yes, Greg GODON owned (and restored) the car many many years ago. "ericisback"......I'm sending you a PM w/his contact info. I just got off the phone with him before posting this.
Old October 19th, 2021, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Yes, Greg GODON owned (and restored) the car many many years ago. "ericisback"......I'm sending you a PM w/his contact info. I just got off the phone with him before posting this.
Thanks so much. I received your PM, and I will reach out to Mr. Godon.
Old October 19th, 2021, 11:32 AM

You really have answered the underlying question here. It doesn't matter what other people think the cars worth except to validate what you think the car is worth.
The bottom line is if the car is a true documented mint w-30 with all the correct parts you are not going to lose money on the car unless you wreck it.
Exactly! I’m trying to validate what I think the car is worth. Based on the feedback I’ve received via PM’s, my estimate might be low. Sure would be helpful, if others would offer an opinion about their valuation, instead of “beating the devil around the stump”.

I suspect that it might be worth asking others to PM me with their valuations as well, since posting their opinion in the open forum, seems to scare some people. I’m all ears.
Old October 19th, 2021, 11:46 AM
Banned

There is a very old very relevant saying. It Is worth what someone is willing to pay. There is no math to figure that out. To Corvette or Shelby people 100k is nothing. All timing. I would root thru any documents. Invest in knowledge. You obviously have a price in your head that you would take it to. Go with that. Prices for these cars blow my mind daily. Bottom is going to hit hard on muscle cars. Kids don't care. We are a dieing breed.
Old October 19th, 2021, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Bottom is going to hit hard on muscle cars. Kids don't care. We are a dieing breed.
They said the same thing about Renoirs in 1928.....

Last edited by ericisback; October 19th, 2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old October 19th, 2021, 12:55 PM

Sure would be helpful, if others would offer an opinion about their valuation
I'm in the same camp as Joe - I wouldn't pay any amount for a trailer queen show car. No interest at all in having a car I couldn't drive.
Old October 19th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

That's a six figure car. Greg restored the car. A close friend's uncle had the car for quite some time, too. It sold out of Volo many moons ago. There are docs floating around with some of the previous owners. That car was a steal a few years back at BJ. The black, white stripe, and blue interior make for a unique "three color" W-car.
Old October 19th, 2021, 01:59 PM
Banned

I am all over the unique colors on this car. Black white and blue? Blue interior cars are so Oldsmobile. Get out of here. Love it.
Old October 19th, 2021, 02:21 PM

I'm far from an expert on these cars... but will give my thoughts...
It sold for 55k at Barret Jackson... That's with the auction setting, hype and excitement...
Everyone (OK... Maybe only rich snobs) loves saying "I got the Barret car".
If the same car was sitting for sale on Hemmings, The Thrifty Nickle, Wheels and Deals, or in a local paper, it wouldn't have gotten anywhere near that.
I honestly think the musclecar values have gotten stupid.
Too many are getting over-restored, and then not driven.
I'll take a 20k big block Cutlass that I can drive anywhere I want, and not be afraid to park it somewhere in the rain.
Old October 19th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Running On Empty

I love the car. If you love the car and you can afford to buy the car then buy the car. Life on this little globe is not a dress rehearsal. Buy it & enjoy it while you're on this side of the grass.
Old October 19th, 2021, 06:36 PM

Someone swiped the Deluxe Push button Radio from the dash but left the speaker in the rear tray...
Old October 19th, 2021, 08:09 PM

He certainly may lose money if something unforseen happens in his life and he needs to sell the car within a relatively short time after purchase.

If he holds it 10 years, yes he is likely to make money but one needs to protect the downside not just focus on the upside
Old October 20th, 2021, 01:04 AM

Oldsmobiles seem to be pretty hot right now and on the rise as far as values go. When it comes to this car in particular, if I was in a position and had the full amount that they are asking for it I would buy it. Why? It's documented, numbers matching, it was restored by a well known guy, and it's a Post W30. Not to mention, the color combination. I've never even seen a black car with blue interior being offered ever, not to mention a post 4 Speed w30. To me, a black car with a blue interior is very desirable. I remember when this car sold at Barrett-Jackson a few years ago it made a buzz with Olds guys because it was such a good deal. If you have the money, I think the car is worth at least 90 k. A lot of people are afraid to buy trailer Queens, but I'm the exact opposite. I want to buy the nicest car that I can for the money, and you can bet your behind that I will be enjoying it and driving it. I don't know why everybody uses the excuse of not buying a car because they don't want a trailer Queen. It's not like you're going to take the car 4 Wheeling through a mud Pitt. Buy the car, drive it with care, enjoy it, and keep it insured. The only people that would find an issue of why you shouldn't buy this car are probably negative Nancys that couldn't afford it. If you're lucky enough and you can afford it, it's definitely one of the best muscle cars out there to have.

Think of it as being able to buy a car straight from the dealership in 1970. But this time around, you can protect it and preserve it knowing that it's an investment quality automobile.
Old October 20th, 2021, 06:03 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
That's a six figure car.
^^^^^ X2, X2, X2...^^^^^^

Repairs and parts are expensive, similar to marine/airplance parts and such. If you are serious about purchasing a W30, get one with documentation, originality, and of course, condition. Go cheap and I can promise you that you will think differently about your decision once you own it. Do you want to enjoy your car now, or wrench on it for months, years in the future before you enojoy it?

My W30 was expensive too when I purchased it, but I wouldn't do anything differently today if I had to do it again. Even with a car like this one, there may be hours and hours of work to put into it to make the car yours. Buy a quality car my friend; it's the only way to motor in my opinion.
Old October 20th, 2021, 06:38 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

'Driver' quality cars are the preference for many whom do just that - drive them - where ever they go being up to their personal choice. If you want a classic car that you don't want to worry maniacally about when you leave it parked out of your sight but in close proximity of other cars, people, animals or within any other environment wherein something unexpected but still possible could happen to it, then an expensive 'trailer queen' isn't your best option.

For less money than a pedigreed car, a driver can be essentially upgraded to whatever level of comfort and performance suits its owner and whenever they want, they can change it up without fear of reproach for ruining its provenance...

I go to local car shows frequently in my area and I know this scenario repeats itself across the country - many 'queens' get brought literally from show to show (though to some owners' credit they're actually driven vs. trailered), after which they're taken home, bathed, and stored away in prep for the next one - they're not driven to the beach, random road trips or anything else in between - and when they do get shown, many get parked across dual spots for extra space around them with the 'look but don't touch' magnets on every surface... The odometers literally prove these cars aren't being driven anywhere else in between.

so it's not a shocker that our next-gen kids have arguably little interest in these cars - I hear it from their parents when I allow their kids to sit in my car for photos or to see how things work on the dash, etc. and they're amazed that few if any other owners at a show will even let them breathe near their cars. What kid would want a classic car they can't do anything fun with if that's the impression they're left with every time they see one?

I do love the 'queens' and glad people actually preserve them - I'm just not a guy who would spend the big money on them when for a whole lot less $$ I can have a 'driver' which is just as nice to look at, runs just as well (or better than the pedigreed car) and can be driven anywhere without the fear of damaging something that ruins its pedigreed originality.

Old October 20th, 2021, 07:49 AM

This is a beautiful car, you don't have to answer to anyone. It's your money, and if you really want it, go ahead and buy it. You will enjoy it, and other people will admire it. I can guarantee you one thing, You have gone this far, If you don't buy it and someone else does, you will have that awful feeling in your belly for a long time to come.

Quick Reply: I am interested in this car, what are your thoughts?