General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hummer: born 1998, died 2010.

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Hummer: born 1998, died 2010.

GM's Deal To Sell Hummer To Chinese Company Falls Through

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...atestHeadlines

It was a short, happy life. I knew two people who owned one. They both were happy with them.

May it rest in peace.
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM

Unhappy

What a crying shame for that brand!
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Registered Luser

I thought Hummer was much older than that? Do you mean GM's hummers?
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Around 1978 was when they designed it. Am General built them started production in 1984 for the military. The civilian production of the H1 started in 1992.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; February 24th, 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM
GM Enthusiast

Certainly going to miss the "bling bling" goin' down the road.
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:24 PM

GOOD I'd rather see it die than sell it to the Chinese. Whats next sell the rights to baseball and apple pie to 'em
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
GOOD I'd rather see it die than sell it to the Chinese.
Maybe so, but according to the article, 3,000 U.S. jobs will be lost.
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM

It is a sad deal, don't get me wrong I'm not for anyone losing their job (at least not honest hard working people). I am however totally against every stinking thing I pick up saying made in China on it.
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
They were called "humvees" in earlier times. Stood for "high-mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicle," HMMWV. Made originally by AM General, a subsidiary of American Motors Corporation, back in the '70s. It's now an independent company in South Bend, Indiana. It started making a civilian version, called the Hummer, and then sold that brand name to GM in the late '90s.

So when I said born 1998, died 2010, I'm referring to the time GM owned it. That's the time period when it became a presence on American highways.
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:52 PM

I am however totally against every stinking thing I pick up saying made in China on it.
I know what you mean, but you'd probably have to throw away half the things in your house including most of your kids' toys.

I bought a new Dell laptop computer back in December. Although it wasn't my primary consideration when choosing which one to buy, I assumed it was made right there in Round Rock, Texas. I was surprised as anything to see written on the side of the box when it arrived, "Made in China." Had I known, I would have looked seriously into trying to find a brand assembled in the U.S., but I'm not sure I could have found one.

So how would that have been? Buy a U.S.-brand computer but find out that it's made in China, or buy an SUV from a Chinese-owned company and find out that the vehicles are assembled in the U.S.? The world is too intertwined these days.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 24th, 2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
You'd probably have to throw away half the things in your house including most of your kids' toys.
No kidding, this haloween I'm going through the kids candy, you know making sure its safe and sampling a few select candy bars for quality, and I found about 1/3 of it was made in china WTF that stuff got tossed in the trash.
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:13 PM

I found about 1/3 of it was made in china WTF that stuff got tossed in the trash.
Yeah, but these really little piece of junk plastic toys that one gives away at birthday parties, Halloween, etc., have always been made in places like China, Guatemala, etc. What's sad is that the more serious stuff, like electronics, clothes, appliances, etc., are starting to be made there.

By the way, my father was born in North East, Pennsylvania. When he first told me that when I was a little kid, and for the longest time after that, I always assumed he just meant somewhere in the northeastern part of the state (and I kind of wondered why he never told me which city). It wasn't until I was in high school that I realized that there was actually a town called "North East," and it was in the northWEST corner of the state!
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Registered Abuser

Yeah, but these really little piece of junk plastic toys that one gives away at birthday parties, Halloween, etc., have always been made in places like China, Guatemala, etc. What's sad is that the more serious stuff, like electronics, clothes, appliances, etc., are starting to be made there.

By the way, my father was born in North East, Pennsylvania. When he first told me that when I was a little kid, and for the longest time after that, I always assumed he just meant somewhere in the northeastern part of the state (and I kind of wondered why he never told me which city). It wasn't until I was in high school that I realized that there was actually a town called "North East," and it was in the northWEST corner of the state!

I used to do a regular run to a food place there in North East. That is, until a big company came in and cut our throats in the rate. Oh well.
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:24 PM
GM Enthusiast

No kidding, this haloween I'm going through the kids candy, you know making sure its safe and sampling a few select candy bars for quality, and I found about 1/3 of it was made in china WTF that stuff got tossed in the trash.
No joke. Whenever I bring the kids food shopping with me, they always see the colorful cookies at the checkout counter. Usually sports teams or bart simpson, etc, but I looked at the back of them to see what bakery made them and they said "made in China"??? How fresh can they be? What's really in them? Needless to say, I took them to the local bakery instead and would not let them buy them.
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Yeah I know about the toys and trinkets, but candy? Doesn't anybody watch the news about poison baby formula etc..etc... who would want to eat anything from there.

Thats funny about North East PA, I've worked out in that part of the state but never have been there. The town I live in is Tunkhannock whenever I tell anyone that they go huh? so I always just say northeast.
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Land Yacht Captain

What Chinese owned company builds SUV's in the US????

or buy an SUV from a Chinese-owned company and find out that the vehicles are assembled in the U.S.? The world is too intertwined these days.
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Going by that logic we would have to say then that Oldsmobile started in 1909 instead of 1897.

They were called "humvees" in earlier times. Stood for "high-mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicle," HMMWV. Made originally by AM General, a subsidiary of American Motors Corporation, back in the '70s. It's now an independent company in South Bend, Indiana. It started making a civilian version, called the Hummer, and then sold that brand name to GM in the late '90s.

So when I said born 1998, died 2010, I'm referring to the time GM owned it. That's the time period when it became a presence on American highways.
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
C'mon, don't be so dense. I didn't say that any did.

It was a rhetorical point. With all the dislike of everything ending up being made in China, wouldn't it have been ironic if, by buying an SUV made by a Chinese-owned company, you ended up helping U.S. workers? That WOULD have been the case if the sale of Hummer to the Chinese had gone through.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 25th, 2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old February 25th, 2010, 04:56 AM

Going by that logic we would have to say then that Oldsmobile started in 1909 instead of 1897.
Why would we have to say that? What does this have to do with anything?

I'm not going by any "logic." GM owned the Hummer brand from 1998 to 2010. That's the time period over which it became part of the American consciousness. That's why I put 1998-2010. I'm not saying it's gospel. I was half joking. Put any dates you want.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 25th, 2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:24 AM

GOOD I'd rather see it die than sell it to the Chinese. Whats next sell the rights to baseball and apple pie to 'em
What's so special about Hummer that you'd liken them to apple pie and baseball?

Besides, it's the Japanese who are good at baseball.
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:28 AM

More from the New York Times

Hummer Faces Shutdown After Chinese Sale Collapses

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...GM-Hummer.html
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
What's so special about Hummer that you'd liken them to apple pie and baseball?
Nothing in particular, I wouldn't want to see "Joe Smiths thumbtack co." sold to them either. My point is we seem to be selling off the whole country so whats next baseball and apple pie.
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Our country has always been for sale.

And, just in case you regard Hummer as a brand that is used by our armed forces, please be aware what the Army gets and what GM sells are two different things - a lot of people don't realize that.
Old February 25th, 2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Diego
Our country has always been for sale.

And, just in case you regard Hummer as a brand that is used by our armed forces, please be aware what the Army gets and what GM sells are two different things - a lot of people don't realize that.
It may have always been for sale, but I still don't agree with it.

Yes I'm aware the HMMWV is an AM General vehicle.

Old February 25th, 2010, 03:26 PM

the pity of it all is that the off shore factories making all this stuff is financed by USA money.I work at a freightliner dealer and over the last few years most of the trucks and components are made in Mexico,south america or asia.I think obama got it right when he told the big US companies that if they move their plants off shore to save labour cost,they would pay much higher tariffs to bring their products into the US. But it seems he did not raise tariffs high enough to stop the bleeding. Just the opinion of one northern brother.I beleive that what is good for the USA is also good for canada..

Last edited by greenslade; February 25th, 2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: .
Old February 25th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

ugly pos ,i can't stand them.

ive talked to people who live in south bend.they knew the writing was on the wall for Hummer before the gas spike back in '08.
Old February 27th, 2010, 05:44 AM

Exclamation

Here is a thread from the ACNA, about what they have to say about this subject:
http://aurorah.proboards.com/index.c...d=19688&page=1
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Around 1978 was when they designed it. Am General built them started production in 1984 for the military. The civilian production of the H1 started in 1992.
i agree with you. hummer was created by AM General. it is ashame if this hummer gonna be sold to chinese, what will gonna be result? lack of quality?
Old August 9th, 2011, 05:29 AM

Doesn't anybody watch the news about poison baby formula etc..etc... who would want to eat anything from there.
And no one dies in the USA from American made food?

How about the Salmoella death last weeks, and the all the ones year after year when cheap quality american grown produce and peanuts got out into the market and people died? How about the VA hospital in the US that gave everyone AIDs when they went in for a colonoscopy because the instrument wasnt cleaned?

US companies make product that kill consumers like every other country in the world.

Chinese companies cant afford to develop, market and ship product into the US. In fact they are not very innovative. The educational system has always OVER emphasized math and science and it is well know that lack of art and free thinking has hindered their ability to be inventors and innovators. That is all changing now and when you see China being as innovative as other countries, we are all in trouble.

What they can do very effectively is find US based companies to sell their services too. If you have a product from China you are not happy with start with the good ole US company that brought it into the states. The Chinese build on spec. If the US company has a crappy spec, expect a crappy product.

I believe if most of you guys were employees of Hummer in the USA, you wouldnt have a problem with your new owner because you'd still be putting food on the table. I have a hard time believing you would be unemployed before you would work for a Chinese owned company.
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
And no one dies in the USA from American made food?

How about the Salmoella death last weeks, and the all the ones year after year when cheap quality american grown produce and peanuts got out into the market and people died?
Absolutly, Salmonella deaths from poor product handling has no excuse. But I'll take my chances with that over feeding my baby melamine laced baby food.

How about the VA hospital in the US that gave everyone AIDs when they went in for a colonoscopy because the instrument wasnt cleaned?
I'm a vet, I don't go to the VA, seems to me to be a place of last resort. Not making an excuse for them either killing someone because of sloppy procedure is unforgiveable.

US companies make product that kill consumers like every other country in the world.

Chinese companies cant afford to develop, market and ship product into the US. In fact they are not very innovative. The educational system has always OVER emphasized math and science and it is well know that lack of art and free thinking has hindered their ability to be inventors and innovators. That is all changing now and when you see China being as innovative as other countries, we are all in trouble.

What they can do very effectively is find US based companies to sell their services too. If you have a product from China you are not happy with start with the good ole US company that brought it into the states. The Chinese build on spec. If the US company has a crappy spec, expect a crappy product.

I believe if most of you guys were employees of Hummer in the USA, you wouldnt have a problem with your new owner because you'd still be putting food on the table. I have a hard time believing you would be unemployed before you would work for a Chinese owned company.
I feel American companies are the villan here. I do not hold anything against China they are doing exactly what they should be doing in this situation, someone throws you the keys to the world economy you take them and run with it.
Old August 9th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Pete,

I know your a big fan of free trade and the fact is it's a "world" economy now & the US needs to get in the game.

I don't agree with a number of points you've made though. It's not that the Chinese government can't afford to compete. You're right; they aren't very innovative yet because they don't have to be. The Chinese government produces products at a loss initially to gain market share. They sign ten or fifteen year contracts with greedy companies that set up factories there with the stipulation they give the plants to the government when the contract is up. Then the government produces "knock-offs" and floods the US markets with inferior crap (most of the time, there are a few exceptions). My b!itch is that the US government has allowed this to happen. Instead of imposing tariffs on imported goods that were sold under market value, undercutting US companies, they basically encouraged corporations to get in the game. How's the US (or any other country) doing selling goods in China? Not too good because the Chinese Government doesn't allow it. (unless it's food or raw materials). I'm not sure what the answer is but if I were a politician in this country I'd sure as hell be fighting to level the playing field , not encouraging companies to produce overseas.

BTW I can't believe we're all replying to post that basically dead and has been revived by someone with one post.
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
BTW I can't believe we're all replying to post that basically dead and has been revived by someone with one post.
Right on brother!
Old August 9th, 2011, 11:07 PM

Well I can tell you one American car company that bought it's engines for it's SUV's from China.
Wanna guess who ??

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/bu...s/26chevy.html

This is why I don't buy into the "Buy American" hype marketing tactic anymore.
The most American made truck in America today is the Toyota Tundra.

Buy vehicles that are made by Americans, that keeps them employed.

Not American badged cars made in Mexico or Canada with half of it's sourced from China.
Obviously this argument is only for NEW car buyers, not used. Used, it doesn't matter much...

Originally Posted by ent72olds
HMMMV is what you're thinking of.
High Mobility Multipurpose Military Vehicle

Military vehicles nicknamed "Humvee's"
Hummer is the GM brand name.

Hummer's were luxo-barge's that died because of the gas price hike in 2008-2009.
GM has been hitting heavy on the SUV and truck market because there was always
a MUCH larger profit margin on these vehicles. That's why when gas prices skyrocketed
Hummer fell flat on it's face. It didn't have anything but gas pig luxo-barges and no one wanted em.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 9th, 2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
. How's the US (or any other country) doing selling goods in China? Not too good because the Chinese Government doesn't allow it.

There are some significant notable exceptions because certain American brands are doing exceptionally well in China. ie Apple is expecting 9billion in Sales in 2012. There isnt as many poor people in China as most people think.

I believe a big ssue is that the Chinese are unbelievably materialistic, unless you have a brand they want its going to be hard to penetrate. You cant go in there selling something that is converted commodity because you will never beat them on price. You need innovation or a brand they WANT.

The goverment does allow it but it isnt easy. Thats is based on first hand experience and knowledge.

Im not pro China, i dont want people to get that impression. I am pro education and it kills me when people get mad at China when in some cases the USA does the same thing or in some cases when the Chinese are only importing because a US company is providing demand.

Saying go something like this? ..... without Johns there would be no prostitues. Without America (actually worldwide) demand there would be no China.
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Let the Chinese build plants here in the USA same as the Japs and employing Americans and I have no beef. I will never ever buy any new Goverment Motors product again.
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Eric Anderson, I totally agree with you. Better for Hummer to die than get sold to the Chinese. They already buy the bulk of our scrap metal.

And thank you for your service to our country! It's Vets like you who keep us safe, certainly not our foolish government!
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
Let the Chinese build plants here in the USA same as the Japs and employing Americans and I have no beef. I will never ever buy any new Goverment Motors product again.
You know I was listening to NPR yesterday (yeah I know....) and they were doing a story about how Volvo is doing great in Sweden now that Ford has dumped them. What I didn't know is that Volvo is owned by the Chinese. Saab was dumped by Chevy to a group of investors who can't keep it going. Guess who's putting a package together to invest in Saab now....

We all sat around and watched this happen because we wanted to pay 10% less. The US politicians (irrespective of party affiliation) have allowed & encouraged it. Remember that when you vote.