General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

hub assy

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2014, 04:02 PM

hub assy

hello all,
long story very short.. I am putting disc brakes on the Cutlass before I drop the 400E in... one hub works fine with the Scarebird brackets.. one hub is the hub that use to have a drum pressed on.. I need one hub 68 BOP I know works, I am sure others will as well.. if anyone can help me out, that would be great... thanks

john
67 cutlass

"just one to thank all those who helped out... "

Last edited by olds330; March 17th, 2014 at 06:42 AM. Reason: hub is on its way..
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by olds330
hello all,
long story very short.. I am putting disc brakes on the Cutlass before I drop the 400E in... one hub works fine with the Scarebird brackets.. one hub is the hub that use to have a drum pressed on.. I need one hub 68 BOP I know works, I am sure others will as well.. if anyone can help me out, that would be great... thanks

john
67 cutlass

"just one to thank all those who helped out... "
Just out of curiosity, why screw around with aftermarket when factory discs are a bolt-on? One piece factory-style rotors run about $35 each brand new and come with the hubs. Also be aware that the factory calipers (about $15 each, by the way) use 2.75" pistons. Some of these aftermarket kits use the smaller metric calipers from the G-body that use a 2.5" piston. In fact, the only aftermarket parts you really need are the spindles and the caliper brackets, which are available pretty much anywhere because they also fit first gen Camaros.

And if you are worried about 14" wheels, the factory 10.75" disc brakes came with 14" wheels.
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:21 AM

Joe, thanks for the input, I was not very clear on what was going on.. so, I will try and clear it up just a bit... I am NOT doing a kit conversion per say... I got a set of brackets from Scarebird brakes... these brackets will and do allow me to use off the shelf parts to do the disc brake conversion... no changing out spindles, no major work involved at all.. brackets bolt up, then any A body 69-72 caliber set-up, rear rotors off 79 to 81 trans am, master-cylinder front disc rear drum.. about 300.. give or take... my problem was at some point in her life someone did a front brake job on the ole wheel hub press on drum, the drums must have been bad, so they pressed them off drilled out some new drums to slip over the longer big shoulder stud... and the only thing I can think of is that they screwed up the other hub when they tried to press of the drum, replaced it with a wheel hub that takes the push on drum... I wanted to make both wheel hubs the same, so that the studs would be the same on both wheel hubs... and I got the hub from Scott, (thanks) hopes this clears everything up...