General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How stupid would you have to be???

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:51 AM

How stupid would you have to be???

I found this ad (below) in Craigslist for a 68 442. Please tell me that nobody with 26K would be stupid enough to transfer to someone's account that says "The car is not mine & the car is out of state". He can make this deal happen. Maybe I'm being a cynic here, maybe it's a legit deal???? It just doesn't pass the sniff test to me. I wondered what others in the group thought about it. Thanks and Happy New Year - Classic Oldsmobile!

This car is not mine. I know where it is and it is the sweetest real 442 you have seen. Simply an award winner, and I mean he has awards. Not a speck of rust. I don't know much about 442's but this car is really really nice. I guess the 425(gold) is a 427 chevy equivelent?? Lots of options, power stuff defoggers etc. I could go on and the owner does. He is very very proud of this car. It has a very expensive "Rally RED" paint job. It's Orange basically. The guy says it's worth 40,000 and I believe it. Only really really serious people should inquire. Leave number and name. $ 26,000 cash or funds deposited and cleared in my bank No Less and No scams here. Car is out of state but I can make this deal happen. If I line up enough buyers I will buy it and bring it myself, trust me, everyone would want this car when the lot is already full of Camaro's and Chevelles It might even draw more attention than a fastback!!!!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:52 AM

Damnit!
If either that Nigerian Prince or the Canadian National Lottery would get back to me I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Hey, maybe I can have them transfer my winnings directly to this guy.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:53 AM

HA!!!! Deposit to an unknown person's bank account blindly? That's how I read it. What state is it in? why doesn't the real owner list it? If worth 40k, why offer for 26K? Lots of strange questions here. I wonder if he would let someone go see / drive the car before buying. If not, then to me it is a scam all the way...
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM

It's not even the old "I'm listing this for my friend because he doesn't have a computer" ad. This guy is from another state and it sounds like he barely knows him. Of course, it is the "sweetest real 442 you've ever seen" and it has the "power stuff defoggers". That has to be rare. :-)
He also says if he lines up enough buyers, he'll buy it and bring it himself. Is he setting up some kind of timeshare?
It will be flagged real quick I'll bet.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:26 AM
Registered

More attention than a fastback???

Awards??
That ain't that hard at the local Cream-O-Freeze weekly cruise down the street, I got a bunch of those.

I now have a new catch phrase to use at cruise-ins.

The Johnny-come-lately "car guys" guys will be impressed when I say that they're new Camaro or Challenger will get way more attention than a fastback, and then they'll be using it the next week.

I wish my Vista Cruiser was a fastback.

If something seems to be good to be true it usually is, but then again...you never know??

Something does smell a little rotten in Denmark.

Beware, Here's a little portion of several e-mails I got when I was looking for my car.

"Allan, how are you doing tonight? i've been waiting for you since you are sending inspector, you have my address with you , just come you are free to come to my house, when you get to the gate of my compound tell the security your full name because i've already told him and i trust you that's why i will allow you to come ok? please make sure you prepare your $2,500 as a proof that really you want this car when coming. dont forget my name and address when you are coming:- "

How would I get there if I forgot the address???

They would of nailed me on the street for that $2500 cash before I even got to the "compound".
I google earthed it and the "compound" was an abandoned and burned-out apartment bulding in a "nicer" section of Miami.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:55 AM

When you get to the compound you can "say hello to my little friend". :-)
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:55 AM

We had a guy in London wanting to sell us a car I told him if you really have the car send us a pic with you & a friend on 1 leg & a sack over his head Never got that pic
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:32 PM

Orange County is where the ad is located.

Pretty Funny stuff. Might be fun to send him some picture requests. Oh, that's right - only serious, serious people should reply.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:37 PM

Just send 26k he might say thank you on his way out of town
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM

Sounds like a ripoff to me. He doesn't own the car, but knows where it's at. He might be able to get it. Sound like he going to take the money and run. I wonder if the car is even for sale. If someone was interested they would be better off to hind out who owns it and try to buy it from them. People like the person placing an ad for a car he doesn't own is just another ripoff artist. I just hope no one is stupid enough to send him money.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM

That's the way I read it also 70 Cutlass S. For 26k transferred to his bank account, and he'll make the deal happen.

I think anyone with access to that much cash and willing to take that kind of risk for something that may or may not exist is nuts.

I guess there's an umlimited pool of nuts out there to exploit, otherwise these guys wouldn't waste their time with this approach.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM

Reminds me of a 1979 Cutlass Supreme that I took an interest in several years ago at Carlisle! The seller had a title supposedly signed by the real owner but not notarized. Fortunatly the notary at Carlisle told me that in Delaware, where the title was from, notarization is not required, but still I would not be getting a clean title. I backed out but took his phone number. A few weeks later I called him and offered to drive down to meet the owner (supposedly a neighbor of his) The answer I got was that his neighbor was sort of a recluse that fears meeting people and prefers that he handle all the financial transactions. Suddenly the seller revealed himself to be a dealer with no personal interest in the car he supposedly knew everything about at Carlisle. A beautiful low mileage Olds but I passed!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:52 PM

It's becoming more and more difficult dealing with the general public now days. Lots of shady people and ripoff's around every corner. It's sad.

Craigslist seems like the perfect vehicle for todays style of crime!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by esisson
It's becoming more and more difficult dealing with the general public now days. Lots of shady people and ripoff's around every corner. It's sad.

Craigslist seems like the perfect vehicle for todays style of crime!
ehh don't just stomp on craigslist ebay has it's share of crooks as well.The crooked will be crooked and the smart will be smart but sadly the dumb will still be dumb.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I don't think 68 442's came with 425's did they? At least he said he didn't know much about 442's.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I don't think 68 442's came with 425's did they? At least he said he didn't know much about 442's.
No they came with a 400
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:39 AM

Sounds like a scam to me.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by toro68
Sounds like a scam to me.
Nothing but!!!