General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hood Emblems

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2023 | 10:16 AM

Hood Emblems

Are these the hood Emblems ? The size is pretty different , like that from the factory?

Thanks

Old March 4th, 2023 | 10:38 AM

The one in the middle looks like it if it has a bend in it, the other two look like trunk or fender.
here is the hood ones installed, note the size of the bottom chrome area in the numbers like the middle 4 in your photo.

Old March 4th, 2023 | 12:21 PM

First 4 and the 2 appear to be trunk emblems, 69-72 have a very very slight curve to match the trunk lid and have little barrel clips on them to hold them in the trunk holes. Side emblems and front emblems are held on with speed nuts. I agree with herkguy, the center one is the middle 4 on the hood. They were slightly smaller than the other emblems, but unique in the way they mounted.
Old March 4th, 2023 | 09:39 PM

Yea, now that I look at them only the middle 4 is the only number for the hood. Any tips on marking and drilling emblem holes in the hood (new tooth) or fender(new)?

Thanks for all the wisdom 👍
Old March 5th, 2023 | 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Carsick
Yea, now that I look at them only the middle 4 is the only number for the hood. Any tips on marking and drilling emblem holes in the hood (new tooth) or fender(new)?

Thanks for all the wisdom 👍
Look at the backside of the hood tooth. I believe there are places to drill cast into it.
Old March 5th, 2023 | 03:22 PM

Here's the back of a Cutlass S tooth. You can see the center holes for the Rocket/"S"/center 4 are already done for you. But the bosses are there for the outer numbers. Just drill them straight. Not sure of the exact hole size needed though. Hurst/Olds was the only 69 F-85 body style I've seen with NONE of the holes drilled. Even the NOS ones I've seen had the center two holes pre-drilled. Not sure if they were always that way. Can't speak for the 70 tooth as far as pre-drilled center holes, but it had the bosses, too.

Old March 14th, 2023 | 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
Here's the back of a Cutlass S tooth. You can see the center holes for the Rocket/"S"/center 4 are already done for you. But the bosses are there for the outer numbers. Just drill them straight. Not sure of the exact hole size needed though. Hurst/Olds was the only 69 F-85 body style I've seen with NONE of the holes drilled. Even the NOS ones I've seen had the center two holes pre-drilled. Not sure if they were always that way. Can't speak for the 70 tooth as far as pre-drilled center holes, but it had the bosses, too.

I hope I can find one with the bosses

there showing me where to drill! One of my fenders is new. Any tips on marking the holes for the numbers?

Thanks