General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help - Water Pump Installation

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Help - Water Pump Installation

Finally, after spending the winter degreasing, scraping, sanding and painting, I'm ready to start putting things back together with the hopes of being on the road soon. First, the water pump. The info that came with the pump said the entire system has to be flushed or contaminated coolant could weaken the seal and cause a leak. I've obviously drained the radiator but haven't completely flushed the block. My coolant looks to be in decent shape. Do I really need to drain all coolant from the block using the bottom plugs in the block or is just draining the radiator sufficient? Also, is the use of RTV sealant recommended with a gasket? I know some probably use it and some don't, just wondering what the majority (or Joe) says. Last thing I want is to have a leak after getting it all back together! Anything else to be aware of? I'm aware of the different bolt sizes and torque specs...should be good there. Thanks!
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:25 PM

My 2 cents, if the coolant looks decent I wouldn't flush it. Yes, I would put a thin layer of RTV on the gasket.

There are water pumps that have different lengths, from the block toward the radiator. Example the AC and non-AC cars used different ones. They'll both bolt up to the block just fine, but your pullys won't line up right with the wrong one. Be sure you have the correct pump for your application. John
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Second that, have installed a lot of water pumps without full flush. As long as the fluid is clean you shouldn't have a problem
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Second that, have installed a lot of water pumps without full flush. As long as the fluid is clean you shouldn't have a problem
X3 as long as it looks good dont worry. Also i always use Permatex ultra grey on my intake and water pump, as long as the surface is real clean and applied even it will never leak.