General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help needed - steering hub issue

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2012, 06:51 AM
1971 Cutlass S

Help needed - steering hub issue (SOLVED)

Ok I am way confounded and need someone who knows what is going on. I am putting on my Sport wheel. Pulled old aftermarket junk off. Going to put on my brand new Repro hub. I line it up, and start cranking on the nut - it goes until about half the splines are through the new hub, and there is about 1/4 inch of space between the bottom of the hub and the steering column and then it STOPS - like ther is NO WAY to get it to tighten anymore. I have a half inch breaker bar on it and it is bound up solid. I am afraid to put anymore pressure on it. I have taken it off three or four times, nothing damaged inside the new hub - no scoring from missalignment or anything - It just wont go the rest of the way.

Any ideas?

Last edited by OldsManNJ; July 28th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old July 28th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Not familiar with the aftermarket hubs, but that could be the problem. AS you probably know, it seems like most aftermarket parts are close and determined to be "good enough". I have used several GM hubs and never experienced any issues. Maybe try a used original hub or borrow one and see what happens.
Old July 28th, 2012, 08:01 AM
1971 Cutlass S

Has anyone else used "The Parts Place" reproduction sport wheel hub? If so did you have this issue?
Old July 28th, 2012, 08:42 AM
1971 Cutlass S

Ok I solved my own issue - after reading Dave Siltman's post - I got to thinking that it was probably the aftermarket hub at issue. I took a closer look at the column shaft and the hub and it looked to me like the shaft has a taper to it below the splined section, and it looked to me like the hub did not have the same taper. I put a metal grinding bit in my drill and made the taper a little more "there" in the hub and it went right on all the way down. Just goes to show that even if it looks the same - the aftermarket stuff may not fit or function the same as OEM.
Old July 28th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Ahhhh good ol american enginuity!